"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 06-16-2007, 10:38 AM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Swinchen....
Bone it out if possible!

Good Luck and have fun!
Why do you prefer bone out? Just curious as the place near me with big butts sells them bone out and I've wondered if it makes any difference - I couldn't tast any.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:35 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Beerco...

I do not necessarily prefer bonless. This was merely suggested as a means to render a rather large butt to more manageable size for cooking. Retailers sell bonless pork butts as just another option for the consumer. They can be oven roasted as pork roast to the 170*+ range and sliced! In affect they just become a bonless "blade roast" or several other names depending on the retailer.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:59 AM   #23
Cook

Send a message via AIM to swinchen Send a message via Skype™ to swinchen
It was two butts (thank god)

They are on BBQin' as I type this.

I have a pan of apple juice near the SFB side, and the butts are on the opposite side (I also have my cast iron pans in there seasoning... why not be coal frugal right?)

I am having a bugger of a time getting the temp up past 210 in the cooking chamber. I am leaving the chimney and vent wide open and it just wont do it... crazy I tell you. Probably all that cast iron in there is acting like a big heat sink :/

I have taken a picture, but I can't find my card reader right now =P I will post more later.

Sam
Old 06-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Swinchen...

You may want to consider removing everything from your cooker except the two butts. Including the pan of apple juice. You are using up alot of btu's just to heat the juice. Those but's would be better used to cook the meat. If ya wanna use the juice, baste with it every couple of hours or so.

Have fun!

Old 06-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #25
Cook

Ok, I took out my cast iron pans, the apple juice. I used a spray mop, added more coals... I can still only get it up to around 215. That is with the vent wide open. Not sure what I am doing wrong :/

Sam
Old 06-16-2007, 02:19 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Swinchin..

215* Where? Grill surface? Test you thermometer in a pot of boiling water. Obviously it should read close to 212* Give or take a few degrees.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:11 PM   #27
Cook

211.8 I would say that is pretty decent :)

Well they have been in about 6 hours and the internal temp is about 150 degrees on one of them. Getting up to 200 will take a while I imagine. It is time to bust out the beer I think :) I have switched over to lump and I can coax that to raise the temp to around 230. So that is pretty good, still I thought I would have a problem keeping the grill cool enough!

Sam.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:12 PM   #28
Cook

ooops, and yes... I am using a meat thermometer stuck into the side of the main cooking chamber. It is just under the grate that holds the meat. Very close to the cooking surface.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:24 PM   #29
Cook

Ok, I think I need some tips on how to finish a pork butt in the oven. I am very quickly running out of fuel. I may know what the problem is... the chargriller SFB comes with a metal grate that is up turned on both ends (like a basket with only two sides) and right now I have the sides pointing up, so there is not much room between the ash catch pan and the charcoal grate. I think that this is cutting off airflow to the coals. Maybe next time I will try turning it over to life the coals up a little higher. *sigh* this is not a great first experience.

Ok, to finish in the oven... place in a pan, cover with foil and bake at 250ish until done? (around 200 degrees for pulled pork)

thanks,
Sam
Old 06-16-2007, 07:31 PM   #30
Head Chef

swinchen .. you can finish it in the oven if you need to ...
what temp is the butt at now .. if you wrap it in foil on the
smoker it will help the internal temp rise ...