Tri-Tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paymaster

Sous Chef
We wanted French Dipped sandwiches for dinner tonite so I did a Tri-Tip on my Akorn cooker. I marinated the meat in my favorite wet rub for beef. I also did som ABTs too.

img_1424276_0_c3eb3283c49e1bfb4bddd19332eb612d.jpg

img_1424276_1_741447671c3981ef523ec86626827875.jpg

img_1424276_2_e81361492097cf7abc6d37e9119b5432.jpg

img_1424276_3_20e214ef5fb4dc46cf845dd05d7e64f0.jpg

Oh my goodness, that looks good! Tri tip is one of my fave cuts of beef, especially on the 'cue and made into sammies. :yum:

Beautiful pics Paymaster! Now you can get tri tips in Georgia? I don't know why it's traditionally only been a western cut. Like Cheryl, it's been my favorite cut of beef since the '60's when California quit grinding them up for hamburger.
Will you share your recipe for your "favorite wet rub for beef."?

Last edited:
Beautiful pics Paymaster! Now you can get tri tips in Georgia? I don't know why it's traditionally only been a western cut. Like Cheryl, it's been my favorite cut of beef since the '60's when California quit grinding them up for hamburger.
We started seeing them in my favorite meat market about three years ago.

Wet Rub
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons Montreal Steak seasoning
1 teaspoon Espresso Powder
Mix well and rub on both sides
Let the meat sit for at least one hour but longer is better

We started seeing them in my favorite meat market about three years ago.

Wet Rub
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons Montreal Steak seasoning
1 teaspoon Espresso Powder
Mix well and rub on both sides
Let the meat sit for at least one hour but longer is better

Espresso powder....very interesting. TSM PM, I have it saved.

I never saw a tri tip until I joined Costco a few years ago.

Anyone grill there tri tip? Its seems as tender as London Broil and is marbled more than London broil.
I have never tried it, but I have seen it marinated, grilled, sliced on the bias and served medium to rare. It looked excellent.

Last edited:

Anyone grill there tri tip? Its seems as tender as London Broil and is marbled more than London broil.
I have never tried it, but I have seen it marinated, grilled, sliced on the bias and served medium to rare. It looked excellent.

Tri Tip is to California what brisket is to Texas, RB. I've been grilling them whole for decades. We prefer ours rare and for maximum tenderness it must be sliced very thin against the grain, like a brisket would be sliced.
On my medium heat gas grill it takes a total of 45 minutes.

They have always been available here in the East. Just labeled under a different name. Don't ask me what the name is. Just a name from the part of the animal. Top Round, Bottom Round, your pick. You could and still can tell by the cut and just looking at it. :angel:

The first time I had ever even heard of tri-tip was on this forum, one of Kayelle's posts.

Addie, I doubt very much that it's always been available under another name in the east. Here's more facts about the Tri Tip...

tri-tip history | The Butcher's Blog

Kayelle, I have purchased it many times at my butcher's in Everett for many years. I make beef jerky with it. I even went so far as to buy an electric slicer for that sole purpose. It is called a Bottom Round Beef Roast. Sometimes it is sliced for thick steaks. Today, some stores in the east have got the message and call it a Tri Tip.

Some stores will cut it into a thick piece and sell it as a steak. Just enough for two people. Sell it that way, jack up the price and they make a killing. :angel:

Kayelle, I have purchased it many times at my butcher's in Everett for many years. I make beef jerky with it. I even went so far as to buy an electric slicer for that sole purpose. It is called a Bottom Round Beef Roast. Sometimes it is sliced for thick steaks. Today, some stores in the east have got the message and call it a Tri Tip.

Some stores will cut it into a thick piece and sell it as a steak. Just enough for two people. Sell it that way, jack up the price and they make a killing. :angel:

A tri tip is not part of the round. If you look at the illustration on the page Kayelle linked to, you'll see that. It's a triangular shaped roast, almost a cone - hence the name tri tip - that would be very uneven if you tried to cut it into steaks.

Addie, that is not the tri tip. If you look at the diagram I posted, the tri tip is the bottom of the sirloin, not the round. I sure don't claim to know everything, but I do know my tri tip.

The supermarkets here slice tri tip into smaller strips and sell them at the same per pound price. No longer a roast but you get practically all the fat trimmings off.

Last edited:
Addie, tri tip is not a 'bottom round beef roast'. Here's another illustration.

Attachments

• tri-tip.gif
    tri-tip.gif
    20.6 KB · Views: 237
Addie, that is not the tri tip. If you look at the diagram I posted, the tri tip is the bottom of the sirloin, not the round. I sure don't claim to know everything, but I do know my tri tip.

+1. Well said, Kay.

Back
Top Bottom