"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 07-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Trying out some bbq sauces!

I'm getting ready to write my next blog post and, for that, I'm going to try out a few different barbecue sauces with my boston butt. I have a few written down to try but was wondering if any of you had some ideas on which recipes would be good to try.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I just tried this one yesterday. I got it off of the net when I was looking for something new to try. We liked it and I will be making it again. A bit on the vinegary side, but when used sparingly it was nice. I should give credit to Bobby Flay, it was his recipe....

half cup butter
half cup cider vinegar
half cup ketchup
half cup lemon juice
half cup worchester sauce
1 tblsp hot sauce

Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until thickened.
Makes just over 2 cups of sauce. Should keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks with no problem.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Was the butter hard to keep from separating after bringing it to a boil, Rock? I usually have to be gentle (low heat) when using butter in BBQ sauces.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Actually, the butter was still in a cold chunk so I stirred it with my wisk until it was all melted. I wisked it quite a bit during the 15 minutes so it stayed well mixed and there isn't a layer of fat on the top. Here. I have some left over. It may not look very appetizing, but here it is. I poured it into a yogurt container.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	11433  
Old 07-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfryerdan View Post
I'm getting ready to write my next blog post and, for that, I'm going to try out a few different barbecue sauces with my boston butt. I have a few written down to try but was wondering if any of you had some ideas on which recipes would be good to try.

...so you're from boston then?....
Old 07-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
haha nice. nope.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
That sounds like something Bucky would ask

Thanks Rock. Maybe stirring it in cold is the key. I usually melt the butter first and it always stays separated if I let things get to a boil. I can whisk it back in, but it keeps on separating. Anything I read always said not to let it get to a boil, but didn't mention starting with the butter cold.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I have six bottles of different BBQ sauces in my refrigerator. I'm still trying out different brands, and using the rejects as a base for home made sauce, which I've had surprisingly good luck with. And that may be the key... using a commercial BBQ sauce as a base for my own enhanced sauce.

I'll add (not always the same, but can include) things such as dark brown sugar, molasses, ginger, dry mustard, minced garlic, garlic powder, liquid smoke, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Soy Sauce, Thai sriracha mild chili sauce, Asian Seasoned Salt mix, and peach chutney. I may or may not ever find a single commercial BBQ sauce that I like, but the hunt and re-purposing the rejects has been interesting!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm a big sauce doctoror (doctorer?) myself, selkie. I used to use something cheap like Open Pit, but have found that the different SBRs give me a better underlying flavor. Unless I'm really getting crazy with the hot sauces or something.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That sounds like something Bucky would ask

Thanks Rock. Maybe stirring it in cold is the key. I usually melt the butter first and it always stays separated if I let things get to a boil. I can whisk it back in, but it keeps on separating. Anything I read always said not to let it get to a boil, but didn't mention starting with the butter cold.
Starting with cold butter wasn't something I planned. It was in the fridge when I needed it so I just grabbed it and chopped off a chunk and went for it. It seemed to work, though. I added all of the other ingredients in the pot then put it on the burner. Maybe there was something to the technique.

Tags
bbq, sauces