Two At A Time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Renee Attili said:
Did you add any sauce to it? If so what kind?

Miss Renee...

99% of the time I do not sauce meat on the fire. I serve two or three sauces at the table for those who want it. If I have invited guest in my home, and I know they enjoy "wet" ribs etc. Then I sauce some for them. What kind of sauce?? I have two tomato base sauces I make as well as a acouple of vinegar based ones. Sometimes I take one of the tomato based sauces and cut it with some of the particular basting sauce I was using. IMO a little sauce goes along way. I just love the flavor of a properly BBQed pork butt sans sauce.

Enjoy!

Uncle Bob, can you share one of those vinegar based sauces? I have some spares I plan on smoking this weekend.

Uncle Bob, can you share one of those vinegar based sauces? I have some spares I plan on smoking this weekend.

Assuming you will rub them..try this to baste

1 Pint Water
1 Pint vinegar
1 T. Salt
1 T. Cayenne pepper or to taste
1 T. Black pepper
1 T. Rub or to taste (Sugarless or very little sugar)

If you must use a finishing sauce...Add prepared mustard (which is mostly vinegar) to the above, to taste!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Thanks! Instead of clearing out my spice collection, I picked up a ready made pork rub the other week. It has a nice taste, plus if I want to add more of a certain flavor I can. Can't wait to try it.:chef:

I have never seen a butt finished and he sun still out.....what time did you start thise buggers?

An alarm clock and daylight savings time is your friend.

The cooker was up to temperature and stabilized by 7:30 AM.
The first picture was taken late on Saturday afternoon 6:30ish PM
Butts were pulled 9:30ish PM..
Second picture was taken Sunday afternoon 5:30ish prior to supper.

ChefJune said:
My, you have a large appetite! :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

Just doing my civic duty trying to save energy turkey!! :-p :LOL: Two for the price of one.

One went triple wrapped, and bagged to the freezer! The last pound of the first one I just rescued into a quick/simple chili..

Finely chopped Pork Butt
1 medium onion.
1/2 green pepper
1 Can Rotel
1 Pint tomato juice more or less (Home squeezed if possible)
1 Pint water more or less
Lots of garlic. Who measures?
Lots of Chili powder
Lots of Cumin
Black pepper
2 T bacon drippings
Masa Harina

Saute onion and pepper in bacon fat. Throw everything else in, and slowly simmer. Adjust seasoning (More Cumin?) Tighten with Masa Harina!
It's taste darn good! It will make a nice little Appy for supper tonight.
Maybe a little cheese on top??? No beans thank you!!

Have Fun!!!

Thanks for the vinegar based sauce, Uncle Bob!!!

You are very Welcome! It's just a variation of one of the "Mother" sauces in BBQ. With the addtion of the mustard, and maybe some Wrochestershire and a little brown sugar, you may be moved into the refrain....:whistling "Nothing Could be Finer Than to Be in Carolina In the Morning"!

Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom