"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 12-14-2008, 01:48 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi
I did two racks of ribs, one I smoked for 6 hours straight and the other smoked 3-2-1...During the "two" there was no smoke. The 6 hour ribs tasted smokier for the 3-2-1...
The 6 hour straight ribs were smokier because more smoke was 'laid on the surface" not because they absorbed more smoke.....

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
The 6 hour straight ribs were smokier because more smoke was 'laid on the surface" not because they absorbed more smoke.....

Enjoy!
That's exactly what I was getting at when I said the bark definitely picked up more of smoke flavor. "More smoke was laid on the surface".... good term, UB

Old 12-14-2008, 02:01 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:

Enjoy!
Makes sense...With that being said, countless others in dedicated smoking forums say meat can absorb smoke after 2-3 hours...
Old 12-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post
Makes sense...With that being said, countless others in dedicated smoking forums say meat can absorb smoke after 2-3 hours...
Like Raichlen, I follow the science, not the "countless others" ---

Have Fun!

Old 12-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #25
Cook

Quote:

Have Fun!
But Raichlin says the same thing as countless others....2-3 hours is all the smoke the meat can absorb.

That being said, there is something to be said for the bark (or sauce should your audience want that) absorbing smoke after that....
Old 12-14-2008, 05:24 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Fanatic.....

"Countless Others" in this conversation refers to a comment Bacardi made in Post 23 in response to my comments in Post 21 --- In my comments in post 24 I was agreeing with Steven Raichlen (And science) NOT the (misinformed) "countless others" on dedicated BBQ forms --- I hope this clears up the confusion....

Old 12-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #27
Cook

Quote:
Fanatic.....

"Countless Others" in this conversation refers to a comment Bacardi made in Post 23 in response to my comments in Post 21 --- In my comments in post 24 I was agreeing with Steven Raichlen (And science) NOT the (misinformed) "countless others" on dedicated BBQ forms --- I hope this clears up the confusion....
Oh....OK...I get it now...sorry.

For me it's a PITA to get smoke wood. I have to haul waaaaayyyy out down one of the most annoying streets in St. Louis to get some (tons of stop lights). I have heard of a couple closer locations that sometimes have chunks of smoke wood but haven't checked yet as I loaded up on wood before hearing about those two places. I have 25 pounds of apple chunks and another 25 of apricot as well as some cherry logs my dad gave me.

So for me, I smoke for a couple hours and then I save my smoke wood for future smoke sessions.

Anyone ever use Alder? I'd never heard of the tree much less using the wood to smoke before seeing at the place I get my smoke wood?

What about citrus woods. this place carries lemon and orange wood. anyone have experience with it. I'm a huge apple/cherry fan but I am also a big fan of getting creative on the grill as can bee seen by my spiral stuffed pork loin and other strange things I have done on the grill like chicken cordon bleu and chicken spedini and crostinins
Old 12-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Fanatic....

You may want to check back to the Original Post - Post Number 1 by Miss Kitchenelf at the beginning of this thread...There is a great data base of smoking woods, and some suggested uses for them located in the link....

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Old 12-14-2008, 08:10 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Quote:

Have Fun!
I always admit when I'm wrong, and may stand corrected here...I'll see if credible sources exist to determine if Raichlen is correct on this...One thing I just realized...Are we talking all meat period or just the relatively thin ribs?

Again, I am a Raichlen fan, but there is one thing that he says that's wrong. He always cooks his briskets hat cap up...He says this is because the fat will baste the meat...Science has disproved this doesn't happen...Many pro's even cook fat cap down...
Old 12-14-2008, 08:15 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post
I always admit when I'm wrong, and may stand corrected here...I'll see if credible sources exist to determine if Raichlen is correct on this...One thing I just realized...Are we talking all meat period or just the relatively thin ribs?

Again, I am a Raichlen fan, but there is one thing that he says that's wrong. He always cooks his briskets hat cap up...He says this is because the fat will baste the meat...Science has disproved this doesn't happen...Many pro's even cook fat cap down...
And if you remove the fat cap totally you have more bark..........glorious, coveted bark!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote