"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 12-14-2008, 08:17 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
And if you remove the fat cap totally you have more bark..........glorious, coveted bark!
Lol, cut it into 20 chunks, more surface area means more bark! lol

Old 12-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post
I always admit when I'm wrong, and may stand corrected here...I'll see if credible sources exist to determine if Raichlen is correct on this...One thing I just realized...Are we talking all meat period or just the relatively thin ribs?

Again, I am a Raichlen fan, but there is one thing that he says that's wrong. He always cooks his briskets hat cap up...He says this is because the fat will baste the meat...Science has disproved this doesn't happen...Many pro's even cook fat cap down...
All meat.

Brisket Fat Cap UP...Fat Cap Down...One way for half the time...the other way for the other 1/2....Score the fat...don't score the fat.....

Whatever works for you!!

Bon Appetit !!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #33
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
All meat.

Brisket Fat Cap UP...Fat Cap Down...One way for half the time...the other way for the other 1/2....Score the fat...don't score the fat.....

Whatever works for you!!

Bon Appetit !!!!
Exactly. I was in this debate with some tool on Craigslist telling me that there is only one way to BBQ and that is with hickory chunks. No charcoal. Just hickory chunks. Nothing else was allowed. The guy was a complete d-bag about it. I believe there are about a bazillian ways to grill. And I will spend the rest of my life trying to find them all!?!?!
Old 12-21-2008, 01:10 PM   #34
Senior Cook

back in 1999 I started posting about cooking brisket fat side down. It was to lower the drying effects of the heat from the cooker I was using (WSM) that was coming from below the grates. I found that the margin for error was less than cooking fat side up. I was cooking in competitions and you take every advantage you can find. When cooking on the offset we were using in those days I also found that the reflective heat from the tuning plates also had the same drying effect so cooking fat side down helped there also.

When you look at smokering I can see where someone would think that meat absorbs smoke but as Uncle Bob and others have stated the smokering is not absorbed smoke but a chemical reaction of the pigment in the meat to nitrates and nitrites in the smoke. The longer you apply smoke the stronger the flavor that is laid on the meat.

Jim
Old 12-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #35
Master Chef

Good info, thanks.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
Like Raichlen, I follow the science, not the "countless others" ---

Have Fun!
Raichlen RELIGIOUSLY BBQ's brisket fat side up and claims it's because it BASTES the meat...Science has proven basting doesn't happen...
Old 12-22-2008, 08:48 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Raichlen RELIGIOUSLY BBQ's brisket fat side up and claims it's because it BASTES the meat...Science has proven basting doesn't happen...
Question --- When one uses a brush, mop, spoon, rag, spray bottle, bulb or whatever to apply a liquid to the surface of a piece of meat -- What do you call that?

Old 12-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #38
Senior Cook

Quote:
Question --- When one uses a brush, mop, spoon, rag, spray bottle, bulb or whatever to apply a liquid to the surface of a piece of meat -- What do you call that?
A waste of heat and your time as meat doesn't absorb very much liquid while cooking:)
Old 12-22-2008, 09:20 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
A waste of heat and your time as meat doesn't absorb very much liquid while cooking:)
Ok, I'll give you the answer .... It's called basting.

In the spirit of the Holiday Season I will not pursue this any further -- However you may find it fun to explore why basting is done, and explore the term Barding....

Have a Merry Christmas and....

Bon Appetit!!!

Old 12-22-2008, 09:35 AM   #40
Senior Cook

Quote:
Ok, I'll give you the answer .... It's called basting.

In the spirit of the Holiday Season I will not pursue this any further -- However you may find it fun to explore why basting is done, and explore the term Barding....

Have a Merry Christmas and....

Bon Appetit!!!
My personal experiences led to me researching and I've determined that meat doesn't absorb much liquid. I could post several sources but seems like you will just dis-credit them. I feel the basting thing is a myth, I still hear professionals saying to "seal in the juices" by searing...Science has disproved that as well.

I'll end this with saying we agree to disagree...You have a very Merry Christmas as well!