"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
What are you smoking?

Oh lord. I may need to retitle this one. I'll see how many spammer hits we get with this title though.

I have a huge slab of pink salmon brining right now. I figure while we have some milder temperatures I need to get some done or we are all going to go into withdrawal.

Going to use a combination of alder and maple chips on this slab. If it stays mild I'll do another one tomorrow with some hickory. I haven't found the right amount of hickory flavoring for salmon yet. I think the milder alder is probably the best chip to use, but I'm still experimenting. Haven't made any that tastes BAD yet, so I'll just keep messing about.

Anyone else?

__________________

__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,311
Camel...
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,633
Alix,

Have you tried pecan instead of hickory? It should be a little more mild but is part of the hickory family.
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I'm not smoking anything today, food or otherwise...
I like maple. I use more maple and apple than anything. I've never thrown a fish on the WSM before though. Fish is on my short list.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Alix,

Have you tried pecan instead of hickory? It should be a little more mild but is part of the hickory family.
Pecan is tough to find around here Frank. I've never seen it in the stores. My duaghter is allergic to the nut do you suppose the smoke would affect her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I'm not smoking anything today, food or otherwise...
I like maple. I use more maple and apple than anything. I've never thrown a fish on the WSM before though. Fish is on my short list.
I smoke more salmon more often than anything else. I am still working on getting jerky right. Why do you like apple so much, pacanis? Is the flavor sweeter?
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,899
Alix, you use a conventional smoker? I've been anxious to try salmon in my stove top smoker, but my husband claims he doesn't like salmon. He loves his bagels and lox, so I don't get it. I don't like grilled salmon either, but smoked salmon is another story I think.
I have an assortment of wood chips that came with the smoker so I'm paying close attention here. Good to know about the pecan wood, Frank, and I have some!
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,633
Alix,

I don't know what the relationship to a nut allergy would be to the wood, though pecan is part of the hickory family. Does you daughter show signs when you use hickory wood?
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Alix, it seems sweeter. Still smoky, but milder. I like it on any cut of pork and also chicken. I usually use half apple and half maple. I used hickory on some fatties a month ago and they were almost too smoky. Not really, but I hadn't used straight hickory in a while. It caught me a little off guard, like the difference between cheap vodka and good vodka
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Alix,

I don't know what the relationship to a nut allergy would be to the wood, though pecan is part of the hickory family. Does you daughter show signs when you use hickory wood?
She hasn't shown any signs, but she really didn't care for the hickory flavor much so didn't eat much. Couldn't hurt to try it if I can find it. What do you like the best about that flavor Frank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Alix, it seems sweeter. Still smoky, but milder. I like it on any cut of pork and also chicken. I usually use half apple and half maple. I used hickory on some fatties a month ago and they were almost too smoky. Not really, but I hadn't used straight hickory in a while. It caught me a little off guard, like the difference between cheap vodka and good vodka
I have a friend who just cut down an apple tree and offered me a bunch of wood. I don't know how to chip it all up though. I'm game, and I think I'd like to try that out. Thoughts on how to chip it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Alix, you use a conventional smoker? I've been anxious to try salmon in my stove top smoker, but my husband claims he doesn't like salmon. He loves his bagels and lox, so I don't get it. I don't like grilled salmon either, but smoked salmon is another story I think.
I have an assortment of wood chips that came with the smoker so I'm paying close attention here. Good to know about the pecan wood, Frank, and I have some!


I have a little wee cold smoker. It was a gift one Christmas. It does a great job if you aren't trying to be too fancy. I'd take a picture but I can't find the camera cable! This is sort of like mine, only mine is only 3 racks.
Attached Images
 
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I have a friend who just cut down an apple tree and offered me a bunch of wood. I don't know how to chip it all up though. I'm game, and I think I'd like to try that out. Thoughts on how to chip it up?
Whittling knife and a rocking chair?



If you could cut it into small pieces I'm sure you could splinter the pieces up with a hammer on some concrete, but I don't know of an easy way to get chips. I would definitely get some though.
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.