What's a "fatty"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's flattened out loose sausage with goodies put on it (tater tots, cheese, whatever you want), rolled up, wrapped with bacon and put on a BBQ/smoker to cook.

I'm pretty sure I saw some vids on youtube to get you started.

I haven't out a fatty on my website yet. I have the process documented a couple of different times. I will give a brief synopsis here before I add that to the site.

Pacanis is right on in his description. The beauty of fatties is that there are a million ways to make them. The one I made with the spiral sliced pork loin was a sweet fatty. I took Jimmy Dean Maple Sausage and put it in a mixing bowl. I added about half a honey crisp apple minced. Some minced garlic and minced Vadalia onion. A little black pepper and some brown sugar.

Mix all that in and reshape it into a log similar to the shape it was when you bought the sausage package.

I then put on a sweet rub that was comprised of sweet paprika, brown sugar, granulated garlic, chili powder and black pepper. No salt at all. The pork is salty enough.

Toss it on the grill and smoke for 3 hours at 225-250.

I've also done stuffed fatties. To do that take the sausage and spread it out flat on wax paper. I used either Sage Sausage or just loose bulk sausage from the meat department. For one I layed down a couple layers of proscuitto and then a few chunks of blue cheese. Then I wrapped it up like a burrito. That one was pretty rich as I used some really good blue cheese. I would cut it with some cream cheese next time.

The last one I made I did the sage sausage that I mixed in some garlic, onion, black pepper and oregano, and then laid it out fat and put in some white cheddar. The trick here is you have to pat the hell out of the sausage like a hamburger patty. If there are any cracks in the meat the cheese will leak out. If you pat it really well that will not happen. Oh, and you have to let a stuffed fatty rest for a while or as soon as you slice into it the cheese will ooze out.

If you notice some cheese oozing out during the process put a piece of tin foil under the fattie.

I've heard of people putting potatoes in them, but never tater tots. That's friggin genius.

Here's how Kim makes one...he mashes the sausage out flat in a ziplock, then cuts one side of the bag off, adds the filling, and uses the remaining side of the bag to roll it up. He then chills it so it will hold together while cooking. He doesn't wrap it in bacon, although that would certainly be good.

We love these!

Attachments

• 100_0003.jpg
    100_0003.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 282
Here's how Kim makes one...he mashes the sausage out flat in a ziplock, then cuts one side of the bag off, adds the filling, and uses the remaining side of the bag to roll it up. He then chills it so it will hold together while cooking. He doesn't wrap it in bacon, although that would certainly be good.

We love these!

I've done some in bacon and some not. It's not a necessity. The sweet one I made I used maple bacon once.

We love these!

I like this idea Miss Connie!!!! Be sure to give Kim an "Atta Boy" !!!!

I just did the writeup with pics of various fatties I have cooked on my site. You can find it here

I think I have more pics of other fatties but I need to dig a bit to find them. If I find them I will add them to the write up as well.

mmmmmm .. fatties ..

should add .. first one is hashbrowns and cheese ..
next one is ham pepperoni and cheese ..

Attachments

• DSC_0012 [].JPG
    DSC_0012 [].JPG
    125 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC_0009 [].JPG
    DSC_0009 [].JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 185
Sweet, Q.
And when you think about it.... :rolleyes:
A fatty is just like a stromboli, but without all the carbs. So it has to be good for you.

Giggler, no drug deals allowed on this board! lol. Looks very tempting, never heard of one but like the ingredients :D

i made some this turkey day but made them a bit thinner ..
they go great on ritz ...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom