"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 03-16-2007, 08:54 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
Yes, you are correct. Chickens that are white and who have white lobes, produce white eggs. Brown chickens with brown lobes produce brown eggs.
Chicken lobes? My question was pertaining to beef cattle.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:57 PM   #52
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
By differnet kind...You do mean breed I think.

Then, can I safely assume that meat that comes from a black steer taste no different than meat from a red one? Or a brown one? Or a white one?
Black Angus is a breed, not a color. The best IMO.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:07 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
Black Angus is a breed, not a color. The best IMO.

So then you are saying that the Angus Breed is superior. In you opinion then what makes the Angus a superior breed to say..a Herford, or Herford Angus Cross, or Charolais, or Short horn etc.etc. etc.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:23 PM   #54
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
So then you are saying that the Angus Breed is superior. In you opinion then what makes the Angus a superior breed to say..a Herford, or Herford Angus Cross, or Charolais, or Short horn etc.etc. etc.
I'm not sure Bob. It just tastes better to me. I think there is a Red Angus breed too. Angus cattle are beef cattle and not used for milk (but there is a mixed angus breed out there for milk if I remember right).

Angus Advantages
Old 03-16-2007, 09:39 PM   #55
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
I'd be eating with a dead wife She is a texture freak and likes her beef almost burned. She could be just as happy, if not more so, with a ground angus beef patty as with the rib-eye. She hates the texture of mushrooms and will actually become sick if confronted with liver. However......
I have learned to appreciate the charcoal grill from a friend with trial and error. Gas grilling is easier and is more of a consistant heat source, but the Webber grill has produced some of the finest char-broiled beef I've ever eaten. The Webbers' design, and the fact you can produce a very hot bed of coals, (and wood), at 500 +, allows me to cook an inch thick steak, with a hot pick center and, the most important, no blood in the plate. I care not about the scientific principles involved in the process, just the fact that I can predict the outcome of a steak using this method. It's heaven on earth when this happens.
Yeah well, I can top that, Philmy wife won't TOUCH chicken, nor eat it (honest) and she uses the smoke alarm as a timer!...so there!

*I am so glad I love to cook!*

Edit: I know just what you mean about the ground patty, and toatally agree.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:19 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
I'm not sure Bob. It just tastes better to me. I think there is a Red Angus breed too. Angus cattle are beef cattle and not used for milk (but there is a mixed angus breed out there for milk if I remember right).

Angus Advantages
MJ...
You are correct there is a Red Angus, along with the Black Angus. A white faced herford as well as a black herford. There are also Angus cattle crossed with Brahman cattle producing Brangus! Along with probably 50 other beef cattle breeds in the U.S. alone. My only point is, and IMHO that all things being equal in blind side by side taste test I seriously doubt anyones ability to distinguish one breed from another. I do believe in, and understand the power of advertising and marketing strategies on all of us. Together they are a powerful influence.

Now go get yourself another beer!!

Old 03-16-2007, 11:52 PM   #57
Executive Chef

I think we're getting a little bit off topic here, but organically-grown or free-range eggs are supposed to be better than regular eggs.

And I think that angus beef is raised better then beef from an ordinary cow.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:02 AM   #58
Senior Cook

We're kin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P
Yeah well, I can top that, Philmy wife won't TOUCH chicken, nor eat it (honest) and she uses the smoke alarm as a timer!...so there!

*I am so glad I love to cook!*

Edit: I know just what you mean about the ground patty, and toatally agree.
So I married your wifes sister and we're brothers in law?
And to add more conroversey to the equation, I also think thickness of the steak makes a difference in the texture and flavor.
Ever grill Spam
Old 03-17-2007, 11:23 AM   #59
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Personally I grew up eating tough cuts from free range cattle and there's a reason chefs are starting to favor this stuff. Most american beef is grain fed, under exercised and aged... usually tasting like butter. While some crave that I love the flavor of actual beef, actual meat.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:56 AM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

lugaru! welcome back!

(is it me, or does it seem like lugaru walked out in mid-sentence, disappear for a year or so, and come back in finishing the same sentence? )

i often order steaks in restaurants, because the meat i buy to make at home just isn't as good. especially with certain cuts like prime rib and tenderloin. i have no idea what type of meat is sold to the restaurants that i frequent; i'll have to ask if i get the chance.

i agree with prodigal lugaru, that i prefer more flavorful albeit tougher cuts of meat to make at home.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote