"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill
Old 08-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #11
Master Chef
Ants love new homes. You see your house is seating on the top of their pass. They were there long before you. I have the same problem.
The thing to do is to spray around the house. Go to any home type store. What do you have there? Home Depot, Builders Square? Buy one of those bottles that you can attach right to your garden hose. Spray around per direction. In warm climate like yours, you may have to do do it every 2-3 month. Again read instruction.
The ants will be gone in no time.
Here in MN, even though it is cold I do it twice a year, works marvelous, simply marvelous, darling...

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:36 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by chiklitmanfan View Post
Our home is only 2 years old and we have a definite ant problem, both inside and out. Of particular annoyance is the way ants love to invade my gas grill. Even when I clean it out they swarm all over the inside the next day after use. I have sprayed an insecticide barrier around the base but it never seems to last. I'm looking for an inexpensive solution. Hire an anteater?
Borax powder if you can buy it (not the Borax substitute that we have to put up with). We used to use it in Spain where the ants marched in columns through our kitchen. Worked a treat when sprinkled near their entry point and along their main pathways. Better than anything specific you could buy.
There are smaller packs but this is the most economical - 10lbs for $19.99

If they are outside see if you can find where they are coming from and put plenty in and around the entrance to their hideaway.

Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #13
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I use Terro ant bait inside. Outside, the ants like to get at the hummingbird feeder, so I paint a band of Tanglefoot around the pole. It's a super sticky gel used to keep birds and insects away, and you could try painting some low on your grill legs. Vaseline would work as well.
Terro is really great stuff. Our first spring here we got ants in the kitchen, I set one of those baits on the window sill and a couple hours later there were HUNDREDS of them! The next morning there were no live ants and they didn't come back.

Now I just spray Ortho Home Defense twice a year and haven't seen any more. we have lots of ant hills out front.
I'm Bloggin'

bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
stand next to the grill and try doing a jackie mason impersonation.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

ants, grill