Baby back ribs first timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes sir i try very hard. Thank you.

Let's say next time i want the ribs to be a bit more tender.

What would make them turn out that way? The steam method? Less time? More time?

Lower temp, more time in oven, higher temp, less time in oven?

So many variables.....

Cheers

Here's my method for spare ribs (St. Louis style - I haven't tried baby backs yet since I started cooking them this way, but it should work the same):

Peel the membrane from the bone side of the rack. Season with a dry rub that you like (there are as many rubs as there are barbecue cooks). Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for up to 8 hours to infuse the flavors into the meat. Remove plastic and section into pieces of about 4 bones each, then wrap in foil. Place in a sheet pan and bake in a 210° oven for 4-6 hours. Remove from foil packets and brush with your favorite sauce (Again, there are as many sauces as there are cooks). Grill on medium to medium high heat for about 3 minutes per side, basting liberally with more sauce each time you turn them (I usually turn them so as to do each side twice). Turn as needed so as not to burn, especially if sauce has a high sugar content.

They are fall off the bone tender when I do them this way, and I've yet to get anything but compliments. :chef:

I don't steam them, but cook them low and slow in the oven, then finish off on the (gas) grill after basting with bbq sauce. To remove the membrane, I use a dry paper towel so I can get a good grasp on the end, and it does come off in one piece, if I take my time and peel it back slowly. Naturally, this is done before cooking.
I also rub them with a dry rub, like Emeril's Essence.

I don't steam them, but cook them low and slow in the oven, then finish off on the (gas) grill after basting with bbq sauce. To remove the membrane, I use a dry paper towel so I can get a good grasp on the end, and it does come off in one piece, if I take my time and peel it back slowly. Naturally, this is done before cooking.
I also rub them with a dry rub, like Emeril's Essence.

Essence is a great rub for good, spicy ribs. I mix it myself and always have it on hand for all sorts of uses.

i have a FANTASTIC rub i've been using.

Fav rub i've used.

Its called Adam's Reserve Southwest Rub

Check out the ingredients -

Cumin

Sweet Pepper Flakes

Onion

Paprika

Garlic

New mexico chile

chipotle chile

black pepper

green chile

coriander

oregano

cilantro

lime oil

This thing is amazing!

Cheers

Cooking ribs again tonight.

250 Degrees for 3 hours and 15 minutes.

Finishing for like 20 minutes on the grill, flipping each 5 minutes and basting.

Will post pics and let you guys know the results.

Cheers!

In case anyone is interested this is the list of ingredients for Emeril's Essence:

Emeril's Essence (From foodtv.com)

2-1/2 tb paprika
2 tb kosher Salt
2 tb garlic powder
1 tb black pepper
1 tb onion powder
1 tb cayenne pepper
1 tb oregano; dried
1 tb thyme; dried

Mix and store in airtight container

Good on pork, beef, chicken, fish.... And seems to bring out different flavors on different meats... or maybe I just have weird taste buds...:LOL:

Whoa....tonight's ribs were some of the best food i've ever cooked..... BBQ = best hobby ive ever taken up

img_498042_0_0213ac2423d60d7b3c354ced428e33a8.jpg

img_498042_1_93f16b7501efb6c929923b9d8b9a5d4a.jpg
img_498042_2_9c49cc70d1602b88745c4bd1f6ce3d0c.jpg

Hot **** son, you’ve come a long way in a short bit of time. This batch looks MUCH better and mighty tasty to boot. My wife even complimented them and said that they’re looking a lot closer to what I turn out.

You used a longer oven time this time right? How was the tenderness this time?

The only thing I see wrong is you let the sauce side down a few minutes too long, so it blackened and crusted (be careful with those sauces that contain sugar….sugar burns easily). Which, and don’t get me wrong, is tasty in and of itself, but for perfect presentation, you need to scale back on the charring.

But hey, as was described in Pulp Fiction, it’s a shame that what is pleasing to the taste (touch in the movie) doesn’t always coincide with what is pleasing to the sight.

Mighty fine job, and not to slight your last batch of ribs, but these look a LOT better! Cheers and applause to you my brother!

Oh, and my wife says to send her one of those sausages. It’s done just the way she likes it. Need the addy? :LOL:

BUT……what happened to the marinated steak the other night? Did you reduce the marinade? How was it?

Marinated steak was good...nothing like these though.......

These were the most tender delicious ribs....i actually like that charring.... maybe a little less would be better... this time was wayyyyyyyyy more tender than the other ones...

i cooked them @ 225 degrees, for 4 hours...and i put them on top of a little rack, and threw some of that citrus tampico juice in a pan below them..them covered with foil...

then i put them on a pretty hot charcoal grill for 16 minutes...four minutes, flip baste, four minutes, flip baste, etc.....

Man, it feels like every time i BBQ i learn somethin new..... just the tendencies of my grill, the way fire works, guessing temp, etc...

so awesome to be able to take 3-5 $ a pound meat and turn it into a delicacy

Marinated steak was good...nothing like these though.......

These were the most tender delicious ribs....i actually like that charring.... maybe a little less would be better... this time was wayyyyyyyyy more tender than the other ones...

i cooked them @ 225 degrees, for 4 hours...and i put them on top of a little rack, and threw some of that citrus tampico juice in a pan below them..them covered with foil...

then i put them on a pretty hot charcoal grill for 16 minutes...four minutes, flip baste, four minutes, flip baste, etc.....

Man, it feels like every time i BBQ i learn somethin new..... just the tendencies of my grill, the way fire works, guessing temp, etc...

so awesome to be able to take 3-5 $ a pound meat and turn it into a delicacy

To get the sauce flavor without so much charring, just flip more often. I will sometimes do it as often as 2 to 3 minutes per side (and my homemade sauce is low sugar.. I just use molasses in it), and just keep flipping and basting until they get to where you want them to be. :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom