Bacon wrapped jalapenos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! That sounds really really good.

I know my mom loves those, I think I will make them this Saturday.

We are having 30 people over at our house! Its going to be crazy. And I know most of them love spicy food! I cant wait to try this one!!!

hmmmm, like I've posted before.... I like jalapenos done on the grill with cream cheese and shrimp stuffing. I like shrimp wrapped in bacon. Might as well combine all three! I never thought about wrapping the pepper in bacon before. Maybe that will save my fingers this time :)

Tried these last night. My filling was cream cheese, onion and garlic,
chopped smoked oysters.
The bacon was a bit chewy... might try pancetta next time.
Made some Coconut Curry chicken and Ginger Sesame Beef satays too.
Tasty!

well there were supposed to be photos, but once again
DC doesn't want my correctly sized jpgs. Oh well, just
use your imagination! :ohmy:

Do you find the bacon a bit overpowering? I ask because if only half a jalepeno is used, it seems that a full slice of bacon would wrap and wrap and wrap it three times or more.

Yup, the bacon was definitely there, Vera! (Like your avatar!)
A whole slice was too much, half a slice seemed like not enough...
But after cooking, decided a half slice would have been plenty.

Next time I might just cut the caps off the peppers, clean them
out and insert stuffing....

There is definitely a lot of room to play with these! :)
oink

I made this recipe except stuffed the peppers with a mexican blend of cheese. I did not soak them though. My peppers seemed a bit tough - would the soaking soften them a bit? Did anyone else have tough peppers?Vera, I used 1/2 slice of bacon on around each of my peppers so it wrapped once. You might try that.

If you cook these on the grill, are you guys leaving them cheese side up so the cheese doesnt just ooze all out?

I tried this in the past and flipped them and all of the cheese fell out.

The only way around it it seems is using a whole piece of bacon and just wrapping the **** out of it but then it seems that that is way too much bacon.

since the bacon is already smoked, what about baking these @ 450 degrees until bacon is crisp?

That's what toothpicks are for :)
I've done jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese and shrimp and the cheese didn't ooze out. I start them out slit up and flip them long enough to get grill marks on the other side. Because I'm not the best at splitting them open and getting the seeds out I usually hold them closed with a wet toothpick. Same thing if I wrap bacon around something. Get the toothpicks out.

I don't think I followed this whole thread to know exactly what everyone was saying, you know, there's usually some interesting tangents involving similar things, but for stuffed jalapenos I look for the big ones in the store and just make one cut lengthwise. You can usually pry them open enough to get the seeds out, or maybe it just tears a little bit around the top, but they typically spring back closed if you don't "overstuff" them. And if they don't close...... toothpick 'em closed. Heck, I'll bet you could even skewer a bunch of them and they'd be easier to turn all of them at once. I've been meaning to pick up some thin metal skewers. Now I have a reason.

:)
It's nearly lunchtime here in this part of the world and I have to STOP checking in on this thread. Y'all are making me cry---these variations and recipes sound so great.

I don't think you really need to flip them. I did them low and slow, over
indirect heat, and they came out fine. If you want to use bacon, you
can always precook it a bit to speed things up.

My next attempt, I used some thin sliced chorizo, almost like a pepperoni,
and some prosciutto. Those both came out much better than the bacon!

In fact, those are what my avatar currently is!

Variation: take a hot dog, slice it lengthwise but not all the way through, insert thin slices of cheese and jalapenos between the hot dog halves, wrap stuffed hot dog with bacon (may need toothpicks on either end to keep the bacon on) and grill----Oh, man, I'm crying along with jpmcgrew!!

Back
Top Bottom