Bangers and Sides. "Outside style"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The OutDoor Chef

Washing Up
Today we've deiced to cook at the state park we had around our local town.

It was really really fun. Had lot's of people stare at me, LOL.

That's [probably the cast iron skillet I brought with me for the onions and mushrooms.

Here we go.

The camp chef grill.
DSC04086.JPG

The onions and the green bell pepper.
DSC04088.JPG

Starting to brown up quite nicely.
DSC04089.JPG

Love this shot.
DSC04091.JPG

Added the mushrooms.
DSC04094.JPG

Picture of me checking the brats with the thermo pen.
DSC04095.JPG

And the final result.
DSC04097.JPG

I cannot wait to do this again, I love out door cooking.

This would be a good thread for the grilling forum. Nice action shots.

I use my cast iron on the grill like that all the time for the same thing, and for onions and mushrooms when I'm grilling steaks.

Thanks for the Move, And I hear you Dave.

I also use it for white sauces, and other touchy type of food that doesn't like heat spots.

You're welcome. Thanks for the heads up, Pac.

lol, we just need more threads down there... err, here I mean! :LOL:
And this is a fine example of outdoor grilling and not even using your own grill!

Outdoor Chef,
That looks so good. I certainly wouldn't be staring at you....I would be first in line with my plate!:)

I am not what you would consider an "outdoor cook". However, when DH's family get together once a year in the Okanagan (a nice meeting point between the BC and Alberta families), we usually take up a good chunk of the campsite and take turns making meals.

DH and I ALWAYS do breakfast. We have our single butane burner, the charcoal grill provided (like ODC is using) and another small propane grill.

We make pancakes, sausages, eggs, bacon, hash browns, you name it! Oh, and my famous "cowboy coffee" that gets a lot of looks from the other campers. You boil some water in a pot with the coffee grounds right in it and throw in some eggshell halves. The egg shells help hold back the coffee grounds when you pour the really great tasting coffee into everyone's cup (much like the egg whites do when making broth nice and clear).

The neighbours wake up to the smells and then look a little strange how all this food come out of this small outdoor kitchen. We can feed anywhere from 8 to 20!

Forgot to add - I even made hollandaise in a pot on the grill once!

Last edited:
I always wondered what egg shells did in coffee made that way. I didn't realize they were simply a filtering device.
Whelp, I've had my tivia for the day ;^)

Outdoor Chef,
That looks so good. I certainly wouldn't be staring at you....I would be first in line with my plate!:)

I am not what you would consider an "outdoor cook". However, when DH's family get together once a year in the Okanagan (a nice meeting point between the BC and Alberta families), we usually take up a good chunk of the campsite and take turns making meals.

DH and I ALWAYS do breakfast. We have our single butane burner, the charcoal grill provided (like ODC is using) and another small propane grill.

We make pancakes, sausages, eggs, bacon, hash browns, you name it! Oh, and my famous "cowboy coffee" that gets a lot of looks from the other campers. You boil some water in a pot with the coffee grounds right in it and throw in some eggshell halves. The egg shells help hold back the coffee grounds when you pour the really great tasting coffee into everyone's cup (much like the egg whites do when making broth nice and clear).

The neighbours wake up to the smells and then look a little strange how all this food come out of this small outdoor kitchen. We can feed anywhere from 8 to 20!

Forgot to add - I even made hollandaise in a pot on the grill once!

I always wondered what egg shells did in coffee made that way. I didn't realize they were simply a filtering device.
Pacanis,

Just try it man.

LPBeier, WOW never thought of that.

I might have to party crash your place with a plate in hand and a fork :)

It was my brother in law who first suggested it. He is a country/folk singer and heard about it in his travels. When he told me it instantly made sense because of what we learned in school about making clear broth (a process I rarely repeat).

The one tip, don't rinse the shells before you use them. It is the slight residue of egg white that you want.

Lol! The thermopen is a bit funny, food looks yum! Nice to see a proper braai (charcoal grill I think you call it?) Really cold in Botswana today but we still had a good old South African braai. Love being outside! We made boerewors, crispy chicken wings, lamb chops and grilled sweetcorn :)

Gosh, almost close enough for the Montanans to crash the party...:ROFLMAO:

I cannot wait to do this again, I love out door cooking.
You can say that again! I enjoy using park grills.....it's a nice change. :chef:

Speaking of park grills, I used to mountain bike with my camping gear up to a local well kept trail camp nestled high up in the foothills (no public vehicle access, only by foot or bike) where they had several wood-burning stoves. Cooking was done on the stovetop. It was a blast using these stoves.
Free firewood was also provided next to the old fire lookout at the end of the campground. The ironic thing is that this campground was completely destroyed by a huge SoCal forest fire recently and has never reopened for public use.
I miss this place as it was always so quiet and peaceful with just a small handful of backpackers camping and, oh, it was free.
img_1013623_0_9125c68b2c700c0035aae8cba7521357.jpg

Gosh, almost close enough for the Montanans to crash the party...:ROFLMAO:
I will send you the date of this year's trip! There are so many of us, and they know I have American relatives, I will just say you are my Montana cousins! You will fit right it! :LOL:

Oh, and you can bring your bi...

...on second thought nah! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom