Beer Can Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Barb L. said:
Dancer, when I do mine in the oven, I preheat my oven to 400', then put my chicken in a pan and place on lower rack in the oven. Cook for 1/2 hour, then turn down heat to 350' and cook another 1 1/2 hrs. Yum

Sounds easy enough. I'll give it a shot! Thanks!:)

I put my first "can" chicken in the oven about half an hour ago. I used a can of chicken broth. I put eight holes in the can lid. I poured off about 1/2 can of the broth, put in some basic chicken seasonings and then refilled the can with the broth. I found that this can being larger gives a better base to sit the chicken over. I did sit it in a shallow roasting pan. So far the chicken is browning slower and more evenly at 325F and that is good.

Sides are going to be veggies, potatoes and biscuits.

(yes, Katie E., I did remember to take the paper label off the can. LOL !!!)

Last edited:
Love beer can chicken. Usually I make a BBQ type of rub for the chicken and put a couple teaspoons on the seasoning in the beer can as well. I've tried other liquids, broth, lemonade, etc. We found that we favor the beer.

The chicken turned out delicious. The can fit tight enough that the chicken juice did not run out. The chicken meat was seasoned all the way through.

I served it with bethzaring's Creamed Spinach Soup recipe and crescent rolls. It was a fantastic meal! :)

I have used bourbon and brandy in the can. Be very carefull around the open flame when using hard alcohol!

I also like playing with various aromatic herbs such as clove and cinnamon. I love beer can chicken and use a beer can rack that was sent to me. The chicken always does very well cooked this way. I am going to be trying it on our new grill very soon.

I like using ginger ale. pour half can out into a glass for the kids then add the chicken and put them in the smoker or on the grill. I usually dry rub the chicken with some Art's Red Rub it is a cajun spicy rub.

Great tasting!

Just made a couple two night ago. So yummy and the smells drive the poor neighbors nuts! I am using the leftovers to make chicken enchiladas today.

I'm hooked:LOL: hope 2 will make this crew of mine happy! The kids should really get a kick out of this..Now, since i'm green at this..What do you serve with this wonderful chicken? Pasta,potatoes,rice? I'm planning a big tossed salad and of course a platter of fruit..Veggie? Any ideas welcome the old brain is on hold this morning:LOL: Katie, love the peach and cinnamon idea so I'm thinking one of each so we can sample and pig out:pig:

kadesma

I served it with a roasted corn and black bean salad that I made up. It was soooo good. I brushed the corn with EVOO and a sprinkle of southwest seasoning and grilled before the chicken. Cut the corn off the cob and mixed with black beans, red pepper, red onion, a jalepeno and a serrano. I made a small amount of dressing with EVOO, cider vinegar, lime juice, a touch of S&P, Southwest seasoining and a little extra ancho and cumin. It was delicious. Even my DD, who is sensitive to spice loved it. I would of added tomatoes if I was not the only person in my family who eats them!

PytnPlace said:
I served it with a roasted corn and black bean salad that I made up. It was soooo good. I brushed the corn with EVOO and a sprinkle of southwest seasoning and grilled before the chicken. Cut the corn off the cob and mixed with black beans, red pepper, red onion, a jalepeno and a serrano. I made a small amount of dressing with EVOO, cider vinegar, lime juice, a touch of S&P, Southwest seasoining and a little extra ancho and cumin. It was delicious. Even my DD, who is sensitive to spice loved it. I would of added tomatoes if I was not the only person in my family who eats them!
Great idea pytn..that's something I know my family will like. Thank you for the help.
kadesma:)

You should try it. I keep thinking about it and craving more. My whole family loved it. I may make more today as it tasted great the next day as well. I could of added cilantro but I didn't have any. Parsley would work. I love making up salads to go with summer meals.

PytnPlace said:
You should try it. I keep thinking about it and craving more. My whole family loved it. I may make more today as it tasted great the next day as well. I could of added cilantro but I didn't have any. Parsley would work. I love making up salads to go with summer meals.
You got me:LOL: I'm off to the store to get what I need for this salad..It looks so good..Thanks again.
kadesma

Katie E said:
Here's how we do it Dancer.
<snip>
Another thing we like to do is to use a clean beer or soda can and fill it with white wine and tarragon, rub the chicken with olive oil and stuff finely minced garlic and tarragon under the skin and cook using the same method. Grill or oven.

Really, really tasty.

Katie, my DH and I made two chickens like this last night - we're having five guests this afternoon and wanted something light to eat before we go sailing this evening. They came out beautifully - what a great technique :) Put 'em in and don't think about 'em for an hour an a half. Thanks for posting this.

I bought holders for my beer can chicken at the LARGE BOX STORE, for about 4 bucks. Something I also learned to do is stick a potato (unpeeled, raw) in the neck cavity to keep the moisture in.
I usually have to make two, one with cajun rub and one with Head Country BBQ sauce.

Back
Top Bottom