"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 05-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
We put fresh pineapple on our kabobs, and marinate them with franks red hot. The spicy sweet grilled pineapple is sooooo good!
Fresh pineapple is one of the very best things to grill. (Particularly when contrasted with bell peppers, onions or hot chili peppers.)

Just trim the hulk, then slice it horizontally into perhaps 1/2 inch sections. you can marinate or baste them too.

I don't understand why ppl cut out the center. I like to eat the center too.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #12
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
We put fresh pineapple on our kabobs, and marinate them with franks red hot. The spicy sweet grilled pineapple is sooooo good!

That does sound good.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:53 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg

Fresh pineapple is one of the very best things to grill. (Particularly when contrasted with bell peppers, onions or hot chili peppers.)

Just trim the hulk, then slice it horizontally into perhaps 1/2 inch sections. you can marinate or baste them too.

I don't understand why ppl cut out the center. I like to eat the center too.
The core is tough. I usually eat a few bites of it because that's actually where most of the vitamins are concentrated, but then I toss the rest.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:29 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

when grill fish kebabs, i often skewer onions and pineapple with them. the idea of hitting it with some frank's sounds great!

+1 on grilling stoned fruits, also.

for breakfast, grilled taylor ham (pork roll) on an egg and cheese sandwich is delicious. the smokiness adds an umami quality to it.

thinking outside the box, use different woody herbs for your skewers when grilling. stripped rosemary stems (with a little floret of rosemary left on the end) are a great skewer, as are woody lemongrass shoots, sage branches, and mint stems all work well.

along the same lines, you can use herbs like chives or scallions to tie around protiens when grilling. this works great tying a piece of onion, water chestnut, or even fruit to a shrimp or chunk of fish about to be grilled.

i think i'll fire up the grill today, lol.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
The core is tough. I usually eat a few bites of it because that's actually where most of the vitamins are concentrated, but then I toss the rest.
The core is nice and chewy-crunchy, and probably has lots of good fiber. Some people pay extra and buy fiber to add to their diet.

Also, cooking makes the core more tender.

When you grill pineapple it should end up with good grill marks, i.e. caramelization of the sugar.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg
The core is nice and chewy-crunchy, and probably has lots of good fiber. Some people pay extra and buy fiber to add to their diet.

Also, cooking makes the core more tender.

When you grill pineapple it should end up with good grill marks, i.e. caramelization of the sugar.
Ah I suppose the core would be quite a bit more tender cooked. I'll have to remember that next time :) I always cut it off out of habit, since normally we would just eat it raw
Old 05-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #17
Head Chef

One of the more creative dishes (along the line of beer can chicken), is chicken or chicken dinner in a bundt pan. I've made it in the oven, since I don't have an outdoor grill; but think there are lots of possibilities for changing the dish out to make your own unique creation.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #18
Executive Chef

It occurs to me that a Bundt meatloaf could be interesting too!
Old 05-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #19
Head Chef

Love the idea of the bundt pan meatloaf. maybe buy the smaller size pan for that?

Can I grill stone fruit or pineapple ahead of time and then serve it later with ice cream for a dinner party?
Old 05-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
Love the idea of the bundt pan meatloaf. maybe buy the smaller size pan for that?
It never would have occurred to me if I hadn't read this topic. One really nice thing about meatloaf, you can make as little or as much as you want. In a way some stuffed hamburger patties are more or less little meatloafs. (Would that be meatloaves?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
Can I grill stone fruit or pineapple ahead of time and then serve it later with ice cream for a dinner party?
Of course! I presume you'd split the stone fruit in half. I've seen many salsa recipes that rely on grilling the various vegetables and fruits that go into the recipe.

And grilled pineapple? I've already done that and served it with ice cream. It's delicious! The grilled pineapple has an interesting smoky taste and the caramelized sugar really adds flavor too!

Tags
grill