Being creative on the grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MostlyWater

Sous Chef
Last time, as I took veggies from the fridge for the kabobs, I remembered that I had fresh pears that woulodn't stay fresh forever .. so I chunked them, skewered them, and grilled them along with everything else. they were GREAT!

Then, last night, I realized that we had some leftover apples..and hence, baked apples on the grill were born.

Anyone else ?

Last year Kathleen talked me into grilling a head of romaine. It smelled like pot while cooking, but the charred leaves we pretty good.

Any grilled stone fruit is great! serve with a little ice cream and maybe some sweet wine drizzled on it.

^^^^^

What he said. Having grilled peaches w/ ice cream tonight.

(Tomorrow I eat light again.)

It would be interesting to have an example of something that wasn't good cooked by grilling. Okay maybe ice cream or something that melts.

I've cooked almost every vegetable I like on the grill, to good results. Okay I admit I never thought of romaine lettuce. I think cabbage would be good. I've heard of baking kale.

I routinely cook almost any vegetable on the grill. I usually like the same vegetables raw, so raw + warm is good too. Some of them soften and they're good too: zucchini, cucumbers, mushrooms. Sometimes the vegetables need more cooking to be palatable: potatoes, yams.

@ Cerise, I like bok choy in salads (and of course in stir fries). Grilling them could only be good!

Last edited:
We put fresh pineapple on our kabobs, and marinate them with franks red hot. The spicy sweet grilled pineapple is sooooo good!

Skittle68 said:
We put fresh pineapple on our kabobs, and marinate them with franks red hot. The spicy sweet grilled pineapple is sooooo good!

Oh, and big rounds of pineapple sprinkled with butter and brown sugar! Will have to try the Franks!

Fresh pineapple is one of the very best things to grill. (Particularly when contrasted with bell peppers, onions or hot chili peppers.)

Just trim the hulk, then slice it horizontally into perhaps 1/2 inch sections. you can marinate or baste them too.

I don't understand why ppl cut out the center. I like to eat the center too.

Gourmet Greg said:
Fresh pineapple is one of the very best things to grill. (Particularly when contrasted with bell peppers, onions or hot chili peppers.)

Just trim the hulk, then slice it horizontally into perhaps 1/2 inch sections. you can marinate or baste them too.

I don't understand why ppl cut out the center. I like to eat the center too.

The core is tough. I usually eat a few bites of it because that's actually where most of the vitamins are concentrated, but then I toss the rest.

when grill fish kebabs, i often skewer onions and pineapple with them. the idea of hitting it with some frank's sounds great!

+1 on grilling stoned fruits, also.

for breakfast, grilled taylor ham (pork roll) on an egg and cheese sandwich is delicious. the smokiness adds an umami quality to it.

thinking outside the box, use different woody herbs for your skewers when grilling. stripped rosemary stems (with a little floret of rosemary left on the end) are a great skewer, as are woody lemongrass shoots, sage branches, and mint stems all work well.

along the same lines, you can use herbs like chives or scallions to tie around protiens when grilling. this works great tying a piece of onion, water chestnut, or even fruit to a shrimp or chunk of fish about to be grilled.

i think i'll fire up the grill today, lol.

The core is tough. I usually eat a few bites of it because that's actually where most of the vitamins are concentrated, but then I toss the rest.
The core is nice and chewy-crunchy, and probably has lots of good fiber. Some people pay extra and buy fiber to add to their diet.

Also, cooking makes the core more tender.

When you grill pineapple it should end up with good grill marks, i.e. caramelization of the sugar.

Gourmet Greg said:
The core is nice and chewy-crunchy, and probably has lots of good fiber. Some people pay extra and buy fiber to add to their diet.

Also, cooking makes the core more tender.

When you grill pineapple it should end up with good grill marks, i.e. caramelization of the sugar.

Ah I suppose the core would be quite a bit more tender cooked. I'll have to remember that next time :) I always cut it off out of habit, since normally we would just eat it raw

One of the more creative dishes (along the line of beer can chicken), is chicken or chicken dinner in a bundt pan. I've made it in the oven, since I don't have an outdoor grill; but think there are lots of possibilities for changing the dish out to make your own unique creation.

Love the idea of the bundt pan meatloaf. maybe buy the smaller size pan for that?

Can I grill stone fruit or pineapple ahead of time and then serve it later with ice cream for a dinner party?

Love the idea of the bundt pan meatloaf. maybe buy the smaller size pan for that?
It never would have occurred to me if I hadn't read this topic. One really nice thing about meatloaf, you can make as little or as much as you want. In a way some stuffed hamburger patties are more or less little meatloafs. (Would that be meatloaves?)

Can I grill stone fruit or pineapple ahead of time and then serve it later with ice cream for a dinner party?
Of course! I presume you'd split the stone fruit in half. I've seen many salsa recipes that rely on grilling the various vegetables and fruits that go into the recipe.

And grilled pineapple? I've already done that and served it with ice cream. It's delicious! The grilled pineapple has an interesting smoky taste and the caramelized sugar really adds flavor too!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom