"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 07-10-2014, 05:33 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions.

What about sliced carrots? Celery? Root vegis?
Someone (can't remember but it might have been Ina Garten) grilled celery on the bbq on Food Network. Never tried it so can't recommend it.

I do rather like grilled aubergines*. Sweet potatoes ( the pink-ish ones that Australians call kumara) are good.

I would think anything you would roast in the oven would work on the bbq.

* Sorry, egg plant.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Great idea about using the leftover vegis in a pasta salad. Thanks.
If you have left over grilled peppers, egg plant, courgettes, etc., you can turn them into pretend ratatouille with a can of chopped tomatoes in juice, some herbs and garlic. Good with pasta and a little parm regg.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
If you have left over grilled peppers, egg plant, courgettes, etc., you can turn them into pretend ratatouille with a can of chopped tomatoes in juice, some herbs and garlic. Good with pasta and a little parm regg.
Great idea MC, that's if I don't eat all the leftovers cold with my lunch the next day.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Good idea. I like ratatouille, but Stirling doesn't. I'll give that a try and see if he likes it better that way.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:48 PM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I salted and drained peeled eggplant slices last night and rinsed &dried the slices.
I brushed them with olive oil and mixed Italian herbs and grilled them.

Wow, were they ever good with our grilled Tri Tip roast.

I'll defiantly be adding eggplant to my favorite grilled veggies list.
Somebody told me I should not eat eggplant (along with tomatoes and other members of the nightshade family)...I told her it would be a cold day in Tucson before I gave them up.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:55 AM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Somebody told me I should not eat eggplant (along with tomatoes and other members of the nightshade family)...I told her it would be a cold day in Tucson before I gave them up.
Huhh? What the heck are members of the nightshade family and why shouldn't we eat them? Sounds to me like that someone is smoking sumpthin illegal depending on where they live.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:41 AM   #37
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Green beans are great on the grill. You need a grill basket though. Trim the beans and toss them with olive or or better yet garlic oil, some salt and pepper. Get the grill basket hot and toss on the beans into a single layer. Keep a close eye on them and just move them around in the basket with some LONG tongs until they are charred.

Also grilled zucchini rounds. Grill them and then serve them on some rounds of grilled french baguette with hummus. YUM!!!!
Old 07-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #38
Executive Chef

I love "fire roasted" salsa. I'll grill tomatillos, unpeeled garlic cloves, onion, serrano chilis, pablano chilis and tomatoes. Pulse them, along with fresh cilantro, lime juice, S&P for chunky or blitz them for smooth.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:25 AM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc., etc. There are some members of the nightshade family that are poisonous. I suspect that's why the caution.

I read a story that the introduction of the tomato to Europe was difficult because it was thought to be poisonous as a member of the nightshade family.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

All I know is I love my tomatoes and eggplant...especially grilled over applewood chips.

Tags
egg, grill, veggies