"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Huhh? What the heck are members of the nightshade family and why shouldn't we eat them? Sounds to me like that someone is smoking sumpthin illegal depending on where they live.
A friend of mine said she had read that eliminating veggies from the nightshade family would relieve symptoms of arthritis. There is no evidence to support this idea. She tried it for a few months and then gave it up. It didn't help.

http://www.webmd.com/rheumatoid-arth...ts-supplements
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #42
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc., etc. There are some members of the nightshade family that are poisonous. I suspect that's why the caution.

I read a story that the introduction of the tomato to Europe was difficult because it was thought to be poisonous as a member of the nightshade family.
Quite true. One of my great-grandmother was convinced that tomatoes were poisonous. They were also believed to cause cancer (pre 20th C)

They are all related to the "deadly nightshade" plant which lives up to its name and is a source of belladonna which was used topically as a beauty product to enhance the eyes - rumour has it that Queen Elizabeth I was a devotee. IIRC it opens the pupils and makes the eyes look bigger.

Incidentally, the potato tuber is the only part of that plant that isn't poisonous so I assume that some parts of it's relatives are too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atropa_belladonna
__________________

__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #43
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Somebody told me I should not eat eggplant (along with tomatoes and other members of the nightshade family)...I told her it would be a cold day in Tucson before I gave them up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc., etc. There are some members of the nightshade family that are poisonous. I suspect that's why the caution.

I read a story that the introduction of the tomato to Europe was difficult because it was thought to be poisonous as a member of the nightshade family.
Yeah... it took a long time for tomatoes to be accepted as edible.

Although it's apparently an unpopular opinion here, I still see eggplant as being inedible (prepares to duck ) All of the eggplant I ever had tasted very bitter, and bitter doesn't work for me. I don't do coffee, and if a dish has any hint of coffee in it, I will usually reject it.

I seem to be very sensitive to anything with a bitter taste. While I like beer, especially micro brews, I don't like the ones that are exceptionally hoppy.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,882
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Yeah... it took a long time for tomatoes to be accepted as edible.

Although it's apparently an unpopular opinion here, I still see eggplant as being inedible (prepares to duck ) All of the eggplant I ever had tasted very bitter, and bitter doesn't work for me. I don't do coffee, and if a dish has any hint of coffee in it, I will usually reject it.

I seem to be very sensitive to anything with a bitter taste. While I like beer, especially micro brews, I don't like the ones that are exceptionally hoppy.
You might be a super taster. There's a test you can do at home.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:21 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Yeah... it took a long time for tomatoes to be accepted as edible.

Although it's apparently an unpopular opinion here, I still see eggplant as being inedible (prepares to duck ) All of the eggplant I ever had tasted very bitter, and bitter doesn't work for me. I don't do coffee, and if a dish has any hint of coffee in it, I will usually reject it.

I seem to be very sensitive to anything with a bitter taste. While I like beer, especially micro brews, I don't like the ones that are exceptionally hoppy.
Who ever made that eggplant, obviously didn't salt and press it first. When properly prepared, the bitterness can be successfully removed prior to cooking.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #46
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Who ever made that eggplant, obviously didn't salt and press it first. When properly prepared, the bitterness can be successfully removed prior to cooking.
Entirely possible. I'm not going to worry about it. There are plenty of veggies in the world that I do like, so I can live without eggplant. My wife doesn't care for it either, so it's a pretty easy decision.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,863
C
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Entirely possible. I'm not going to worry about it. There are plenty of veggies in the world that I do like, so I can live without eggplant. My wife doesn't care for it either, so it's a pretty easy decision.
Same here. The only way I've ever liked eggplant was in moussaka, layered with ground lamb in seasoned tomato sauce and topped with be chameleon sauce. Then I saw a variation in a Greek cookbook made with zucchini instead. Yum!
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
egg, grill, veggies

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.