Best veggies for grilling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Asparagus! Even grilled lettuce. My daughter will take a head of lettuce, cut it in half and grill it. You can grill almost any veggie. If not right on the grill, then a basket for them. Grilled cukes. She peels then cuts them in half, scoops out the seeds, and grills them. Then places them in an EVOO and Italian red vinegar.

Almost all fruits can go on the grill also. You know how we say, "it is your kitchen, blah, blah blah." Well, it is your grill and your food. Make your own rules as to what you would like to grill. :angel:

Ooooh.... how could I have skipped asparagus. That's one of the best grilled veggies. Trim the woody ends, toss in olive oil, season with finely minced garlic and kosher salt.... maybe the best veggie that there is.

I grilled asparagus like that for a get together at the house of a friend of my brother (it even worked well on a low end gas grill that I was unfamiliar with). These folks are sort of foodies (but more kitchen cooks rather than grillers), and the grilled asparagus was huge hit with them. I think I pointed them toward a whole new world of food preparation. :chef:

Just about anything that will fit into a grilling basket is fair game. I use Mojo marinade or Italian dressing for flavor and like my veggies cooked over a very HOT grill so the veggies come out just slightly scorched. Corn (not on the cob) is especially good cooked this way.

My favorites? Onions, Peppers, 'shrooms, Chinese eggplant, corn, tomatoes

We're not crazy about eggplant unless it's in something and chopped tiny. But, that would be a great way to roast an eggplant for babaganoush.

Yes, perfect for babaganoush.

I think somebody just wanted to say babaganoush.. :LOL:

I like to do asparagus as rafts. I have grilled romaine lettuce (smells like pot), eggplant (it doesn't smell like pot) mushrooms, squash (different types) and other stuff.

Meat is still the best thing on the grill, but I can do veggie stuff every now and then.

I like to do asparagus as rafts. I have grilled romaine lettuce (smells like pot), eggplant (it doesn't smell like pot) mushrooms, squash (different types) and other stuff.

Meat is still the best thing on the grill, but I can do veggie stuff every now and then.

We usually do meat and veggies both. That way, the entire meal is done on the grill so we don't have to heat up the kitchen or dirty any pans. I usually serve the veggies over rice or in a salad. Any leftover grilled veggies are great in a pasta salad for the next day.

Romaine hearts are great on the grill. We grill some salmon or tuna as well and serve them on the romaine with bleu cheese dressing for DH and Italian dressing for me.

Last edited:

Well, you gotta admit it's a good word. :ROFLMAO:

I agree about the meat. I'm just trying to find more ways to eat vegis.

We usually do meat and veggies both. That way, the entire meal is done on the grill so we don't have to heat up the kitchen or dirty any pans.

Any leftover grilled veggies are great in a pasta salad for the next day.
Great idea about using the leftover vegis in a pasta salad. Thanks.

:LOL:

Babaganoush is a fun word, sounds like someone's grandma.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Thank you for all the suggestions.

What about sliced carrots? Celery? Root vegis?
Someone (can't remember but it might have been Ina Garten) grilled celery on the bbq on Food Network. Never tried it so can't recommend it.

I do rather like grilled aubergines*. Sweet potatoes ( the pink-ish ones that Australians call kumara) are good.

I would think anything you would roast in the oven would work on the bbq.

* Sorry, egg plant.

Last edited:
Great idea about using the leftover vegis in a pasta salad. Thanks.
If you have left over grilled peppers, egg plant, courgettes, etc., you can turn them into pretend ratatouille with a can of chopped tomatoes in juice, some herbs and garlic. Good with pasta and a little parm regg.

If you have left over grilled peppers, egg plant, courgettes, etc., you can turn them into pretend ratatouille with a can of chopped tomatoes in juice, some herbs and garlic. Good with pasta and a little parm regg.

Great idea MC, that's if I don't eat all the leftovers cold with my lunch the next day.

Good idea. I like ratatouille, but Stirling doesn't. I'll give that a try and see if he likes it better that way.

I salted and drained peeled eggplant slices last night and rinsed &dried the slices.
I brushed them with olive oil and mixed Italian herbs and grilled them.

Wow, were they ever good with our grilled Tri Tip roast.

I'll defiantly be adding eggplant to my favorite grilled veggies list.

Somebody told me I should not eat eggplant (along with tomatoes and other members of the nightshade family)...I told her it would be a cold day in Tucson before I gave them up.

Somebody told me I should not eat eggplant (along with tomatoes and other members of the nightshade family)...I told her it would be a cold day in Tucson before I gave them up.

Huhh? What the heck are members of the nightshade family and why shouldn't we eat them? Sounds to me like that someone is smoking sumpthin illegal depending on where they live. :huh:

Green beans are great on the grill. You need a grill basket though. Trim the beans and toss them with olive or or better yet garlic oil, some salt and pepper. Get the grill basket hot and toss on the beans into a single layer. Keep a close eye on them and just move them around in the basket with some LONG tongs until they are charred.

Also grilled zucchini rounds. Grill them and then serve them on some rounds of grilled french baguette with hummus. YUM!!!!

I love "fire roasted" salsa. I'll grill tomatillos, unpeeled garlic cloves, onion, serrano chilis, pablano chilis and tomatoes. Pulse them, along with fresh cilantro, lime juice, S&P for chunky or blitz them for smooth.

Tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc., etc. There are some members of the nightshade family that are poisonous. I suspect that's why the caution.

I read a story that the introduction of the tomato to Europe was difficult because it was thought to be poisonous as a member of the nightshade family.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom