Cedar Grillling Plank cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is anyone at least impressed the way my link looks? I've never done that before !

There is a tidal wave of PMs rushing throughout Discuss Cooking. All the members are raving about how unbelievably fantastic your link is.

Spending $21 for a piece of wood seems extreme.

I got 5 planks for 9 bucks last year.....

It (the plank) has to be soaked for several hours prior to use. It does take a slightly longer time to cook the fish.

I use cedar planks for salmon and applewood planks for trout. The planks are soaked in water or applejuice for about an hour so that they actually smoke when placed on the grill. They will burn around the edges. The cover is down on the grill so the fish actually cooks by the surrounding heat. It could take just a little longer to cook than putting the fish directly on the grill but the results are spectacular. The smoke from the plank flavors the fish and it is great!!

If you buy raw cedar from Home Depot or a lumber company, be sure you buy UNTREATED planks as the pesticide used for treated lumber is toxic. I pay 7 something for 3 planks at BarBQue Galore or any other retail grill store. at the end of the season sale.

Drama, how much time should we plan on? Fish cooks quicker than, say, a steak, anyway, right?

Andy, are you being sarcastic? That's not really fair. As I said, posting such links is brand new to me.

I wasn't impressed with cedar plank salmon. Have to give it a second
try sometime, but the first was just... there.

Those "reusable" cedar planks that don't burn seem odd to me. I'd probably not want to reuse one that I had cooked fish on. Plus I like the smoky flavor the charring gives the fish.

They sell cedar planks in my supermarket for pretty cheap.

Drama Queen - The apple for the trout sounds wonderful. The idea of soaking in apple juice makes me hungary. Just gotta find a grilling store. Must be on in NJ

I just go to Home Depot and ask for their untreated cedar and have them cut it for me..........I have never reused mine.............but it's recommended that you soak the wood for several hours and that's what I do..........I put it in an old clean cooler and weight it down

well, i'm getting mine thursday. we'll try it sunday and let you all know. i might be too cheap to use that much apple j uice for the soak, though.

Drama, how much time should we plan on? Fish cooks quicker than, say, a steak, anyway, right?

Andy, are you being sarcastic? That's not really fair. As I said, posting such links is brand new to me.

Fish cooks quicker than steak but remember the fish is on a plank not directly on the grill like steak would be. It's difficult for me to tell you how long to cook your fish. If you're doing trout, it is thinner and cooks faster than salmon. If you do salmon, how thick is the fish? Is the lower part of the salmon thinner than the middle portion? Are you using center cut filets? There are a lot of things to think about but do the best you can and count on about 20 minutes for a 1 inch piece of salmon at med/high heat. Let the plank smoke, that's what gives the fish it's cedar flavor. Test it for doneness. The salmon should be slightly pinker in the center. Take it off and let it sit for about 7 or 8 minutes. It will continue to cook a little more and that should be perfect. Salmon shouldn't be well done.

I use a Sassafras board when BBQing Nutira (or an occasional 'possum) Place a well cleaned Nutria on the board, and cover with peppers, onions, garlic, cayenne, salt and just about anything else you can think of. BBQ at 225* for 5 hours...When it's done use the back side of a large chef knife, and scrape the Nutria into the garbage....:ermm: Then you eat the Sassafras board!!:chef:

:LOL:

There is a tidal wave of PMs rushing throughout Discuss Cooking. All the members are raving about how unbelievably fantastic your link is.

Spending $21 for a piece of wood seems extreme.

someone owes me a keyboard ...:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom