"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill
Old 02-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
Senior Cook
Cheese Steak BLT

I have run across a Cheese Steak variation that looks extremely intriguing. It's called a "Cheese Steak BLT" and it was developed and served at Vesuvio's on 8th Street in Philadelphia. The only thing in common with the original is beef, onions and possibly Provolone cheese! This one has 'real' steak, sautéed onions, mushrooms, bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise on Ciabatta bread.

Here is 'my' variation based on Vesuvio's famous "Cheese Steak BLT". This recipe is for one sandwich. For more servings, add to the recipe accordingly.

1 6-8 oz Beef Filet Mignon (Tenderloin steak)
2-3 slices of apple smoked bacon (I bought Neuske's)
1/4 Vidalia onion, sliced
1/2 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
1 TBS olive oil
3 slices smoked Provolone cheese
2-3 TBS garlic mayonnaise
Sliced Beefsteak Tomatoes
Lettuce leaves
6" hunk of Ciabatta bread

Set your grill up for indirect cooking, medium-high heat. Optional: add some apple smoking chips or chunks.

Season your steak simply, just Kosher Salt, ground black pepper and some granulated garlic, as we don't want to mask the flavors coming from the other ingredients.

Place the bacon on an upper rack away from the fire with a pan or foil underneath to catch the drippings. After about three minutes, place the steak right over the heat source (direct). When you flip the steak to cook the other side, the bacon should be done.* (see note below) Remove it from the grill and drain on paper towels. As to the doneness on the steak, most times I prefer it to be medium rare, however this will be in a sandwich setting and I don't think you want too much 'bloody' juices corrupting the bread. I suggest for this recipe, to cook it until an internal meat temperature of 145-150° is reached, or medium-well. Remove the steak from the grill and let rest on a plate for at least five minutes before slicing. Turn or adjust the grill to medium heat, as we'll be using it one more time.

*Due to the varying thickness and size of the bacon, it may take longer to cook on your grill. I suggest pre-cooking the bacon in the microwave for 1-2 minutes first.

While the steak and bacon are cooking, you can make the Garlic Mayonnaise and start the onions/mushrooms in a medium sized sauce pan.

Garlic Mayonnaise: finely mince one clove of garlic and mix into it 2-3 tablespoons of mayonnaise.

Sautee the onions and mushroom with the olive oil in a medium sauce pan, season with salt and pepper if desired. Add more olive oil, if needed. We don't want to burn these, so just cook until the onions turn a golden brown. Drain.

Okay, every thing should be done cooking, so let's build us a Cheese Steak BLT!

Split the Ciabatta bread in half and spread both sides with the mayonnaise mixture.

Slice the steak in about 1/4" thick slices. It doesn't matter if it's sliced vertically or horizontally, as the Filet will be tender. Spread the steak over the bottom half of the bread, drizzle any remaining juices from the plate over the meat. If you have left over meat, eat it for breakfast or a snack!

Spoon your desired amount of onions and mushrooms over the sliced steak. Now, lay the cooked bacon on top and then the Provolone cheese goes on last.

Carefully take the loaded half sandwich back to the grill. Place it on a rack away from the heat source and close the lid. Check it after a couple of minutes to see if the cheese is melted to your liking.

Once the cheese is melted, back to kitchen we go. Top with tomato slices and lettuce. Put on the other half of the Ciabatta bread and cut it in half. Serve with onion rings or sweet potato fries. Enjoy!!

Below are some pictures and comments of the process.

A nice 12 ounce Aged Hereford Filet from The Fresh Market

Onto the grill, indirect with added apple smoke

Cooked "Finney Method" (reverse sear)

Back to the grill for melting

This Cheese Steak BLT is undoubtedly one of the best things to ever hit my mouth!

A nice 'peppered' bacon would work great with this recipe. As would some kicked up "Pig Candy" (thick bacon to which is added hot pepper flakes and brown sugar).

I am not a fan of Ciabatta bread being used for sandwiches, burgers and in this case, Cheese Steaks. When you attempt to take a bite, every thing slides out the back or the side. Ciabatta bread is good for dipping in seasoned olive oil and I will leave it at that from now on. I will substitute a good old fashioned Italian style sub roll or even Cuban bread next time.

Instead of the expensive Filet Mignon, I believe a nice shaved thin Rib Eye or Sirloin will work in its place.

"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon."
Mary Pettibone Poole
Ask-A-Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'll take one - ciabatta and all!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
MMMM I could eat that. DH and I discussed having cheesesteaks this week. I may try 'em. Thanks!
(and welcome!)
Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I'm drooling here !!!!!!! No shrooms on mine though please.
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wow another great looking pic - swallowing hard over here - awesome sandwich !! Thanks
Grandma's Boys - Isaiah (11) Cameron (3 )
Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
Master Chef
Looking at your recipes making me hungry.
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
Senior Cook
Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
That looks AWESOME! Wait...what's that noise? I think it's the sound of my arteries creaking Gotta try that anyway...
Cookies = Love
SixSix210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
Master Chef
Heck with the arteries, full speed ahead! (just don't tell my Dr i said that, LOL).
And yes, I think some thick cut pepper bacon would go great on it. Also maybe Applewood smoked thick cut?
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:06 AM   #9
Senior Cook
Wonderful, bacon rules. Using filet that must have melted in your mouth.
John A
john a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:21 AM   #10
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by john a View Post
Wonderful, bacon rules. Using filet that must have melted in your mouth.
It did melt in your mouth, but I prefer the flavor of a Rib Eye (Delmonico) over a Filet any day.

"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon."
Mary Pettibone Poole
Ask-A-Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote