Cheese Steak BLT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ask-A-Butcher

Senior Cook
I have run across a Cheese Steak variation that looks extremely intriguing. It's called a "Cheese Steak BLT" and it was developed and served at Vesuvio's on 8th Street in Philadelphia. The only thing in common with the original is beef, onions and possibly Provolone cheese! This one has 'real' steak, sautéed onions, mushrooms, bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise on Ciabatta bread.

Here is 'my' variation based on Vesuvio's famous "Cheese Steak BLT". This recipe is for one sandwich. For more servings, add to the recipe accordingly.

1 6-8 oz Beef Filet Mignon (Tenderloin steak)
2-3 slices of apple smoked bacon (I bought Neuske's)
1/4 Vidalia onion, sliced
1/2 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
1 TBS olive oil
3 slices smoked Provolone cheese
2-3 TBS garlic mayonnaise
Sliced Beefsteak Tomatoes
Lettuce leaves
6" hunk of Ciabatta bread

Set your grill up for indirect cooking, medium-high heat. Optional: add some apple smoking chips or chunks.

Season your steak simply, just Kosher Salt, ground black pepper and some granulated garlic, as we don't want to mask the flavors coming from the other ingredients.

Place the bacon on an upper rack away from the fire with a pan or foil underneath to catch the drippings. After about three minutes, place the steak right over the heat source (direct). When you flip the steak to cook the other side, the bacon should be done.* (see note below) Remove it from the grill and drain on paper towels. As to the doneness on the steak, most times I prefer it to be medium rare, however this will be in a sandwich setting and I don't think you want too much 'bloody' juices corrupting the bread. I suggest for this recipe, to cook it until an internal meat temperature of 145-150° is reached, or medium-well. Remove the steak from the grill and let rest on a plate for at least five minutes before slicing. Turn or adjust the grill to medium heat, as we'll be using it one more time.

*Due to the varying thickness and size of the bacon, it may take longer to cook on your grill. I suggest pre-cooking the bacon in the microwave for 1-2 minutes first.

While the steak and bacon are cooking, you can make the Garlic Mayonnaise and start the onions/mushrooms in a medium sized sauce pan.

Garlic Mayonnaise: finely mince one clove of garlic and mix into it 2-3 tablespoons of mayonnaise.

Sautee the onions and mushroom with the olive oil in a medium sauce pan, season with salt and pepper if desired. Add more olive oil, if needed. We don't want to burn these, so just cook until the onions turn a golden brown. Drain.

Okay, every thing should be done cooking, so let's build us a Cheese Steak BLT!

Split the Ciabatta bread in half and spread both sides with the mayonnaise mixture.

Slice the steak in about 1/4" thick slices. It doesn't matter if it's sliced vertically or horizontally, as the Filet will be tender. Spread the steak over the bottom half of the bread, drizzle any remaining juices from the plate over the meat. If you have left over meat, eat it for breakfast or a snack!

Spoon your desired amount of onions and mushrooms over the sliced steak. Now, lay the cooked bacon on top and then the Provolone cheese goes on last.

Carefully take the loaded half sandwich back to the grill. Place it on a rack away from the heat source and close the lid. Check it after a couple of minutes to see if the cheese is melted to your liking.

Once the cheese is melted, back to kitchen we go. Top with tomato slices and lettuce. Put on the other half of the Ciabatta bread and cut it in half. Serve with onion rings or sweet potato fries. Enjoy!!

Below are some pictures and comments of the process.

A nice 12 ounce Aged Hereford Filet from The Fresh Market

img_544186_0_c6c4656e12a428d2d5ecd691d4806d9b.jpg

Onto the grill, indirect with added apple smoke

img_544186_1_3a7debf10ee89742e5a75491a77b9d60.jpg

Cooked "Finney Method" (reverse sear)

img_544186_2_5d2e6bb6cf06cfcf9f80674315c1a5f1.jpg

img_544186_3_c9598ee814d431c499f7ddebb6f28414.jpg

img_544186_4_a7528adf76ebe236590eaed710b5c7e9.jpg

img_544186_5_3dd5f7a66ae1f2c12ca4a6cba0c3583d.jpg

Back to the grill for melting

img_544186_6_03e2f6239814e37a32612b8f8c7873d4.jpg

img_544186_7_8b63e3442e5bd02a8dda04741f6cfb43.jpg

This Cheese Steak BLT is undoubtedly one of the best things to ever hit my mouth!

A nice 'peppered' bacon would work great with this recipe. As would some kicked up "Pig Candy" (thick bacon to which is added hot pepper flakes and brown sugar).

I am not a fan of Ciabatta bread being used for sandwiches, burgers and in this case, Cheese Steaks. When you attempt to take a bite, every thing slides out the back or the side. Ciabatta bread is good for dipping in seasoned olive oil and I will leave it at that from now on. I will substitute a good old fashioned Italian style sub roll or even Cuban bread next time.

Instead of the expensive Filet Mignon, I believe a nice shaved thin Rib Eye or Sirloin will work in its place.

MMMM I could eat that. DH and I discussed having cheesesteaks this week. I may try 'em. Thanks!
(and welcome!)

Heck with the arteries, full speed ahead! (just don't tell my Dr i said that, LOL).
And yes, I think some thick cut pepper bacon would go great on it. Also maybe Applewood smoked thick cut?

Back
Top Bottom