Chicken glazes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ripliancum

Cook
I'm hopefully going to be doing on a lot of BBQing this summer. I just wanted to get some ideas for some chicken glazes or sauces to bbq with so i don't use the standard sauce each time. I want to have some variety to my grilling. Any ideas?

I have an absolutely amazing marionberry-chipotle glaze I use on my BBQ chicken. Problem is, Oregon is the only place in the world that marionberries actually grow, so if you don't live near, you'll have a hard time getting your hands on em.

Many of the flavorings used on pork will also work well on chicken.... like:

Orange-Rosemary Glaze

1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate; thawed
1 teaspoon brown sugar
4 teaspoons rosemary; minced, fresh

In a small saucepan, bring the concentrate, brown sugar, and rosemary to a simmer. Simmer until the mixture reduces to about 2 tablespoons. Set aside to cool slightly. This glaze is equally good made with 2 teaspoons dried rubbed sage instead of the rosemary.
Yields enough to glaze two pork tenderloins.

Or:

Sweet Chili Glaze

2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup frozen pineapple juice concentrate,; thawed

In a small saucepan, heat the oil, chili powder, and cumin over medium heat. When the mixture starts to sizzle and the spices are fragrant, add the concentrate. Simmer until the mixture reduces to about 2 tablespoons. Set aside to cool slightly.
Yields enough to glaze two pork tenderloins.

You will probably need to increase the quantities for a whole or cut up chicken. I don't think the cooking technique I use with the pork tenderloins will work with chicken, so use a recipe that does work with the cooking method you are going to use to get an idea of how long to cook it. The recipe also recommends brining the pork before cooking... not a bad idea for chicken either. I think these glazes would also be good on Cornish hens. :chef:

Recipes from 7-6-5 Pork Tenderloins in Fine Cooking.

I have a recipe that we LOVE. It's simple too. season chicken w/ bbq seasoning (whatever your favorite kind is). cook chicken over indirect heat.
meanwhile, mix maple syrup, lemon juice and a little bit of butter (LITTLE BIT) in a pan and allow to warm. after your chicken is cooked, dip in the syrup sauce and eat while warm. very yummy.

Here's one I made up a few months ago
and it continues to be a favorite with my family:

jkath's chicken marinade

1/4 c. honey
2 Tbsp mustard
5-6 shakes Tabasco Caribbean Style Steak Sauce
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic/herb seasoning (the no-salt kind)
1/4 c olive oil
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 c fresh orange juice
mashed piece of fresh pineapple (about 2"x4"x1-1/2") w/juice

Let boneless/skinless chicken breasts sit in marinade about 1/2 hour before grilling.
Along with the chicken, we also make skewers with pineapple, small tomatoes, small onions & a variety of bell peppers.
They don't need the marinade, although I do love it on the pineapple!

One of my favorites is Thai Sweet Chili Sauce I get in the Asian section of the supermarket. It's spicy sweet & works very well on grilled chicken so long as you don't apply it until the chicken is nearly done, otherwise the sugar in it can burn.

Back
Top Bottom