Cuban Sandwich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ask-A-Butcher

Senior Cook
Ham from Easter and the pork was from last night's Pork Tenderloin...

img_544699_0_cec46fda78ae4cf10620ca59bb079453.jpg

Cut a loaf of Cuban Bread into 6-8" lengths;split down the middle. Spread butter and then a some Black Mustard BBQ Slather on both insides of the bread. Start with the bottom slice; put a layer of ham, a layer of pork, some pickle chips and top with Swiss Cheese. Put the top on the bread and press down with your hand. Transfer the sandwich to a hot frying pan with a couple of foil-wrapped bricks on top for a weight (or whatever you choose!). Flip after a few minutes, not letting the bread burn. Move sandwich to a plate, cut in half diagonal....POOF!!!!...you have an authentic Cuban Sandwich :-p

img_544699_1_8565ff537fdcf91b3dd00f9b0e79f18b.jpg

On occasion, depending on whether I have any on hand, I like to add a few slices of salami to the middle of the sandwich.

I love pressed Cubans. I sauce mine with mustard, mayo and roasted garlic. I saw Bobby Flay whip that up one time for his grilled pressed Cuban and it has become my favorite sandwich spread. Thanks for bringing these up. I should put that brick sitting by my grill to use again.

I also love Cuban Sandwiches. You have inspired me to make one, but alas, I'm not sure where I would get Cuban Bread in Pittsburgh. Any suggestions for a good substitute, or how I can make my own?

I also love Cuban Sandwiches. You have inspired me to make one, but alas, I'm not sure where I would get Cuban Bread in Pittsburgh. Any suggestions for a good substitute, or how I can make my own?

There should be plenty of ethnic stores in Pittsburgh, plus I'll bet the bakery at a large supermarket would have Cuban bread (at least on weekends).

Italian bread would work in a pinch.

Looks good, unfortunately the stores around here don't have cuban bread. What other bread could I try?

For bread for a Cuban sandwich, I look for a small, crusty submarine sandwich roll. I use my Cuisinart griddler to make them.

You can also use those George Forman grills to press your sandwich if you have one.

One day I put my smaller iron skillet on top of my larger iron skillet. Just heated the small one on a burner and when ready placed on top of the sandwiches in the larger skillet. Worked pretty good and helped toast the bread too!

I love pressed Cubans. I sauce mine with mustard, mayo and roasted garlic. I saw Bobby Flay whip that up one time for his grilled pressed Cuban and it has become my favorite sandwich spread. Thanks for bringing these up. I should put that brick sitting by my grill to use again.

I saw the same thing and use the same thing as well! I usually make mine a burger though.....a nice burger patty, the ham, provolone, and the nice mustard sauce.

Back
Top Bottom