Do you parboil chicken before you grill it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with the others . I just grill chicken on low setting with the lid closed as much as possible. Turning it every 10 minutes. Easy, and no fear of flare ups. Depending on the size of the pieces it should take around 40 minutes to an hour. I sauce near the end so she don't burn...:chef:

No, I never boil chicken, and that goes for ribs as well.

I wish I'd taken pictures of the chicken that I cooked up with the fish. I cooked two breasts, and one thigh. They came out so very juicy and tender that DW called me in from what I was still working on in the kitchen, with guests in the house, to tell me how good her chicken was. That just doesn't happen.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not bragging. What I did, anybody can do. It was very easy, and tasted really great. No boiling required. Both breasts were bonelss, but with the skin on. One breast and the thigh were marinated in the following:

1/4 cup water
2 tbs. cooking oil
1/4 tsp. each: marjoram, oregano, basil, onion powder, garlic powder
1 dash of each: powdered ginger, celery seed
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. paprika
The chicken sat in a sealed zipper bag, in the herb brine for about one hour. The other breast was boned, but with the skin left on. I rubbed it with softened butter, and dusted it with salt and granulated garlic.

The grill was set up with divided banks of charcoal and left to get hot while I prepared the chicken and fish. Alder sticks were placed on top of the charcoal banks to provide smoke, and protect the food from direct heat.

The fish fillet's were placed in the middle of the grill, and the cover was put on, with all vents fully open. I cooked the fish for about 10 minutes before putting the chicken on either side, directly over the charcoal banks. The chicken was cooked for nine minutes per side.

It was done all the way through, without burning the outside, and the smoky flavor combined with the herbs and spices, on some of the juiciest, most tender chicken I've yet made, and DW and out guests were really making me smile by the way they enjoyed their meal.

I never boil chicken, not even for chicken soup. But that's a different success story.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

we are talking about killed, cleaned chickens, aren't we herr doctor rockenstein?

:)

(you just wanted to use that nuke emoticon, didn't you?)

Last edited:
we are talking about killed, cleaned chickens, aren't we herr doctor rockenstein?

:)

(you just wanted to use that nuke emoticon, didn't you?)

I wonder what that turkey would have been like, from the end of the movie; "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids".

And who has an oven big enough to cook it in?:LOL:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I don't parboil, but I mostly cook breasts on an indoor grill.

I have never parboiled it ahead of time, but I have put in in the oven ahead of time to get a jump start on it and the quantity I was cooking I wanted to make sure all was done at same time. Came out great and didn't loose any of the flavor.

A friend always invited me to his Aunts' homes on the holidays. They were great cooks! Nothing fancy - just delicious-tasting food. One year, on the 4th of July, I noticed his aunt baking chicken pieces in the oven prior to grilling. The chicken was fantastic - crisp on the outside, and juicy on the inside.

ok, here's the hook.

parboiling or pre-baking allows for later grilling when a very sugary bbq sauce is added.

since the sauce will readily burn, having the chicken almost completely cooked before hitting the grill is a must.

besides when it's hot out and we're trying not to heat up the house, i like the idea of pre-baking chicken in the sauce. i'll have to try that soon.

i've gotten used to non-sugary marinades to cook chicken on the grill from start to finish, maybe 40 minutes or more.
or brushing on a sugary sauce within the last few minutes of grilling so you only get a char, not a cremation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom