"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill
Old 05-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
is there a lake or impending ice cream headache involved?

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:09 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
I don't parboil chicken before grilling, but for the reasons BT stated, it is a pretty common method for lots of folks grilling for gatherings. There you are generally grilling diverse foods, like hamburgs, hot dogs and chicken all at the same time. It makes it easier to try to even out the cooking times. Or of course if you want to make sure the chicken is cooked through by whoever takes over the grill.

Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #13
Senior Cook
In agreement with all on not doing this. But - If I have a breast that is very thick I may pound down the thick part just a little to help make sure that I don't have doneness issues. One other thing- buy yourself a good thermometer (Thermapen is top notch). That way you can tell when you reach the correct temp in no matter what meat you cook. Most people over cook most meats out of fear of having "raw" chicken.
GA Home Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #14
Head Chef
One could zap the chicken in the microwave briefly and not lose the flavor that ends up in the broth by par boiling?
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
Half Baked
I don't but I have had it cooked that way and it was great too! Still juicy!
Just be yourself! Everyone else is taken.

My Flickr stuff!
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:09 AM   #16
Sous Chef
I never have parboiled chicken before grilling. I cook at a temp of 325-350* and make sure that the internal temp gets to 165* .
"Of all the things I have lost in my life,I miss my mind the most".
Paymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #17
Head Chef
I have never parboiled it ahead of time, but I have put in in the oven ahead of time to get a jump start on it and the quantity I was cooking I wanted to make sure all was done at same time. Came out great and didn't loose any of the flavor.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
That'll work, too, Letscook. Nice alternative to parboiling.

Not pertaining to grilling but...
Back when I used to host Super Bowl parties I cooked my chicken wings using what I called the Three B's method; boiled, baked, broiled. Working with a small oven it seemed to keep a good amount of wings going all the time and testing doneness wasn't so critical. Because I was saucing them before baking and again before broiling they obviously picked up a lot of the the sauce flavor, which is what you want (IMO) when eating chicken wings. I don't recall anyone saying the wings had lost their chicken flavor But the actual chicken meat obviously must have tasted different than not boiling them. I imagine texture suffered a bit, too.
Anyway, all that flavor that was "lost" in the pot went into making chicken noodle soup a couple days later.

If I was doing this again today I would probably still boil them first, but it would be done the day before.
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #19
Assistant Cook
Grilling from frozen state

I recently discovered that when unexpected guests arrive I grab the frozen chicken breasts that I buy and keep in the freezer and wrap in HD aluminum foil after spraying with PAM or other canola, olive oil spray. Then I season them with Chicken Montreal on both sides and wrap tightly. I toss them on the grill and they are usually done in about 20 minutes. They steam and are thoroughly cooked in that time.
Hint: If you want char marks on them, carefully unwrap and burn them on the HOT side of the grill. YUMMY....
HomeCook58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #20
Master Chef
No, I never boil chicken, and that goes for ribs as well.

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote