"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 05-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Do you parboil chicken before you grill it?

I do bc it insures against raw burnt chicken plus I get chicken stock. But I know some grill enthusiasts do not. What do you do?

Old 05-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Master Chef

I tend to do that mainly because I often forget to take the chicken out of the freezer.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Nope .. never have. Cook the chicken on a bit lower heat and it won't burn. You can have hot and cool spots when you grill .. use them to your advantage.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Nope, I've not heard of doing that. I just recently discovered brining!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Master Chef

No. No need to. Chicken is very easy to grill correctly once you get the hang of it.

It's pretty impossible to make "chicken stock" from a brief parcook.

Plus you should never boil chicken....

We grill whole chickens at least twice a month except in the winter (did an awesome one yesterday) and breasts frequently too. No need whatsoever to precook. That would make them harder to cook on the grill, seems to me.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Any flavor that made it into your water is flavor that's no longer in your chicken.

Cook the chicken with the lid closed over lower heat/not over an operating burner. It will cook fine. Cook to an internal temperature of 161F. That's all that's necessary for safety. Cooking to a higher temperature will only serve to dry out the meat.

For grill cooking it's better to cook chicken with the skin on and bone in. The result is better.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Any flavor that made it into your water is flavor that's no longer in your chicken.

Cook the chicken with the lid closed over lower heat/not over an operating burner. It will cook fine. Cook to an internal temperature of 161F. That's all that's necessary for safety. Cooking to a higher temperature will only serve to dry out the meat.

For grill cooking it's better to cook chicken with the skin on and bone in. The result is better.
+1 In a sense you are roasting the chicken. Would you parboil it if you were to put it in your oven?
Old 05-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Nope, indirect cooking on the grill works best. Sometimes I put wood chip packets over the operating burner for a nice smoked chicken.

I often brine especially when I slow cook with smoke.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

the only time that i would consider parboilng chicken (whole or parts) is when i have an awful lot to produce quickly for a large crowd, and/or if my marinade or grilling sauce has a lot if sugar in it and i don't have a lot of control over the heat. or when you'd rather be having fun rather than standing over a grill for a half hour or more.

to explain the latter, we often go to a lake with a public beach in the northwestern mountains of joisey during the summer that allows grilling in a restricted areas just of the lake. sometimes, we bring the smokey joe and a small bag of briquettes to make dinner, along with some salads. i've found i'd rather start the chimney, then jump in the lake, come back and pour the hot coals into the smokey joe, get it set up, put the parboiled chicken on, jump in the lake, come back and turn it, jump in the lake, come back and brush with sweet/spicy bbq sauce, then make a big sad face because i have to stand by the grill for a few minutes while i turn and brush the chicken a few morw times while setting up the salads and drinks on the picanic table.

after eating, guess where i jump when someone else cleans up?

the ice cream truck, silly.

ok, but outside of time constraints, heat control, and sugary sauces, parboiling is kinda ok but you're losing some flavour in exchange for convenience, limited grilling apparatus, or burning sugar.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:50 AM   #10
Master Chef

Nope, never had and probably never will. I've also heard that some people parboil *gasp* their ribs before they grill them. What??? No way. (Oh, hope you don't do them that way...)