"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 03-04-2012, 06:30 AM   #11
Head Chef

I keep reading this as "Elvis captured on coast of S Florida"

Blimey what is tri-trip and what is a hangar steak.

Confused
Liverpool, England.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #12
Master Chef

I have to laugh at this one!! I grew up partially at Vandenberg AFB, CA, and tri-tip was king.

Never heard of it again until, 30+ years later, husband and I were camping out and visiting our old haunts. When we hit that area, I kept hearing about "Santa Maria Barbecue". Huh? What in the #$%^&* is that? So I asked a local friend and she said "grilled tri-tips and pinquinto beans". Oh, you mean what we ate at least once a month? Yes (You have to know, in my childhood, barbecue meant what the foodies here now call grilled).

It consisted of marinated tri-tips, and pinquito beans (as it sounds, pinquintos are a small version of pintos) done in a chili type preparation (our local friends called them "chili beans").

My husband thoroughly enjoyed this experience, which we had about a dozen times as we traveled the are.

Best is Pozo, California.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Why is this cut so popular and causing such a stir. I am in S. Florida I ill keep a look out for it. What do I do with it?
Old 03-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Marinade for beef

cup chopped onion
cup oil

2 T prepared mustard
3 T Worchestershire
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3/4 c ketchup
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup lemon juice
3 T sugar

Simmer onions in oil for 15 minutes. Then add remainder of ingredients, stir, simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

You have to let this cool before use. I will make a sauce by sauteing some onions, mushies then adding the marinade and bringing to a simmer.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
Head Chef

What perfect timing, CraigC. I'm just back from Publix, with a small (2.19 lb.) specimen of the wily and elusive tri-tip. Priced $6.99/lb. today - is that good? It's a lot more than I usually pay for beef-for-the-oven.

Now to mix up your marinade; small snafu, that I don't have the lemon juice. I hate to show my ignorance, but would red wine vinegar possibly do? Another trip to the store is not out of the question, and I'd surely hate to ruin the meat.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #16
Half Baked

I am curious what price they are going for. They are a cheap cut here.
Untrimmed you can find it 2-3 dollars a pound when there are sales.
I do mine on charcoal when i can. The wood is even better though.

McClintocks is famous restaurant in the area where tri-tip is king.
Their beans are sought after by many. They are available in some grocery stores and some costco stores. They are a small tender pinto bean in a sauce that has alot of pepper in it. I love them. Alot of people also put salsa on the meat when eating it.

F.McLintocks

http://www.mclintocks.com/shop/FMCst...talogno=FMC105

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #17
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
What perfect timing, CraigC. I'm just back from Publix, with a small (2.19 lb.) specimen of the wily and elusive tri-tip. Priced $6.99/lb. today - is that good? It's a lot more than I usually pay for beef-for-the-oven.

Now to mix up your marinade; small snafu, that I don't have the lemon juice. I hate to show my ignorance, but would red wine vinegar possibly do? Another trip to the store is not out of the question, and I'd surely hate to ruin the meat.

Wow on the price! I do mine in the oven sometimes. 350 with fat side up.
I would use your favorite rub on it even if you marinate it first. You can marinate it in anything. Being a thick cut the marinade will only affect the outer part of the meat.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Into the marinade tonight and on the grill in 2-3 days!
If you wet marinate that poor piece of meat for 2 or 3 days you will turn it to mush! 8 hours, tops, is all it needs. Or, you might be better off using a dry rub and wrapping it in plastic wrap if you plan on keeping it in the fridge for 2 or 3 days:

Tri-Tip Dry Rub
1 Tbs black pepper
2 tsp salt
Tbs paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried rosemary
tsp cayenne pepper
tsp Dijon mustard
⅓ cup red wine vinegar
⅓ cup vegetable oil
4 cloves crushed garlic

Old 03-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

$6.99 a pound? Good grief! $2.99 a pound is about right in these har parts pardner. It is a bottom round sirloin cut. Not one of the better cuts for a roast.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
In some parts of U.S. the Tri-Tip is also know as a Bottom Sirloin Roast. One reason it can be so hard to find is that it is most often cut into Bottom Round Sirloin Steaks. They can up the price for the labor of cutting it. I would suggest that you ask for it by name, Tri-Tip and tell them you don't want it sliced. It is probably more available than you think.
Addie, it's highly unlikely that the unsuitable Tri Tip is used for steaks in other parts of the country. It's much more likely to be used in ground sirloin, as my meat cutter father did many years ago here in California, before the "Tri Tip revelation" of the early '60's, or late '50's.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida