Elusive Cut finally Captured in S. Florida!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...I would suggest that you ask for it by name, Tri-Tip and tell them you don't want it sliced. It is probably more available than you think. :)

I've asked the meat manager at my supermarket for it by name and was told that cut just isn't offered in this part of the country. He is always very accommodating so if he could have provided it he would have.

Hey, Addie! That 6.99 was "on sale," too - all I know is it had better be good. Our produce prices down here are good, but can't say the same for meats.

Thanks for the rub recipe, Sir L. I'll have to sleep on it and decide in the morning which way to go. BTW, it has to be the oven because I don't own a grill.

I see Tri Tip roasts and Tri Tip steaks in Los Angeles markets all the time. IMO the steaks are unsuitable for knowledgeable or sophisticated steak lovers but some people just want lots of beef and don't care what the cut is. However Tri Tips make great roasts.

IIRC Tri Tip roast prices are usually under $4/lb. when on sale. I haven't bought one in a while so perhaps my remembered price is pre-inflation.

Last edited:
I see Tri Tip roasts and Tri Tip steaks in Los Angeles markets all the time. IMO the steaks are unsuitable for knowledgeable or sophisticated steak lovers but some people just want lots of beef and don't care what the cut is. However Tri Tips make great roasts.

IIRC Tri Tip roast prices are usually under $4 when on sale.

As I recall, roadfix buys them on sale then gloats about it here, knowing we in the East can't get it.

IIRC Tri Tip roast prices are usually under $4/lb. when on sale. I haven't bought one in a while so perhaps my remembered price is pre-inflation.

:rolleyes: It's a good thing you said "IMO".........I'm about as knowledgeable and sophisticated as one can get about steak, and I take offense to that statement. It's true, they don't make good steaks only because they are never cut against the grain. That's the fault of the meat cutter.

Last edited:
As I recall, roadfix buys them on sale then gloats about it here, knowing we in the East can't get it.
Well I'm sorry about that, but there's plenty of great cuts good for roasting. And whenever anything is sold at a substantially lower price there's got to be a good reason for that. I'm no expert on which cuts make the best roasts but perhaps tri tips are sold for such "reasonable" prices because they may be lower in demand due to other cuts making better roasts.

I do wonder about those people who buy tri tip steaks. I often see them sold in packages where it's obvious they were sliced off a tri tip due to the sequence of large to small pieces. They're always much lower in price compared to top sirloin, porterhouse, rib eye, etc. and good reason for it, because the tri tips are low in marbling and likely low in taste. Probably a good choice for somebody who wants a lot of beef steak at a low price vs. a tasty steak at a much higher price. Some people are "gourmets of quantity" (what the rest of us call gourmands).

Last edited:
I have been ISO tri-tip ever since reading Kayelle's description about how wonderful it is in the little stovetop smoker. I've never seen anything like it here, but will continue to look. From what part of the animal does it come?

Last edited:
:rolleyes: It's a good thing you said "IMO".........I'm about as knowledgeable and sophisticated as one can get about steak, and I take offense to that statement. It's true, they don't make good steaks only because they are never cut against the grain. That's the fault of the meat cutter.

Well I'm sorry I offended you. No offense intended. :)

I was offended by the people who don't like garlic presses but my life goes on. :D

If you wet marinate that poor piece of meat for 2 or 3 days you will turn it to mush! 8 hours, tops, is all it needs.

Not likely with a tough cut, been doing it for years with chuck and brisket (London Broil). ;)

Well I'm sorry I offended you. No offense intended. :)

I was offended by the people who don't like garlic presses but my life goes on. :D

Good thing it's a roast then!:rolleyes: If sophistication means being a snob about something, I'll just stick to the down to earth.:ROFLMAO: BTW, IMO, since the introduction of the micro-plane, the garlic press should take the road of the dinos.;)

Good thing it's a roast then!:rolleyes: If sophistication means being a snob about something, I'll just stick to the down to earth.:ROFLMAO: BTW, IMO, since the introduction of the micro-plane, the garlic press should take the road of the dinos.;)

I think a garlic press is quicker and offers less risk of fingers getting grated.

You usually hear of a tri-tip's being cooked in the London Broil style. Marinate and grill to no more than medium and slice thinly across the grain. Not sure if you want to call that a roast or a steak.

Addie, it's highly unlikely that the unsuitable Tri Tip is used for steaks in other parts of the country. It's much more likely to be used in ground sirloin, as my meat cutter father did many years ago here in California, before the "Tri Tip revelation" of the early '60's, or late '50's.
This is probably why the cut isn't available most places. Hadn't heard of it for well over 20 years when we went to California 13 years ago, and there, as when I was a kid, we had it just about everywhere we went.

My preferred marinade is a teriyaki type one; soy, an acid of some kind (vinegar, citrus), some sugar, garlic, onion, ginger. But when I was young my parents and their friends were more into the dry rub thing. Mom used garlic, onion, and celery salts and lots of ground black pepper. But one thing that bears repitition, this is a cut that does not take to being well done over the coals. If you have to have your meat grey, then braise them.

I guess I am spoiled. I have a butcher that gives me anything I ask for. And then we have the Hilltop House up on Route One. They sell almost a million pounds of beef each month. Their meat shop is huge and they do a gold mine operation. Their prices are reasonable and lower than supermarkets. On Fridays and Saturdays they have lines out the door. Son #2 travels up Route One often during the week and will stop in to pick up a piece of meat that is on sale. He will be going there tomorrow to see if they have Porterhouse Steaks out. They didn't yesterday. It is my one treat for myself. It will cost no more the $5.99 per pound. In the supermarket it is $9.99.

I guess I am spoiled. I have a butcher that gives me anything I ask for. And then we have the Hilltop House up on Route One. They sell almost a million pounds of beef each month. Their meat shop is huge and they do a gold mine operation. Their prices are reasonable and lower than supermarkets. On Fridays and Saturdays they have lines out the door. Son #2 travels up Route One often during the week and will stop in to pick up a piece of meat that is on sale. He will be going there tomorrow to see if they have Porterhouse Steaks out. They didn't yesterday. It is my one treat for myself. It will cost no more the $5.99 per pound. In the supermarket it is $9.99.

If that's the case Addie, you should ask them to get you a Tri Tip, unless their supplier has has already ground it up for ground sirloin.

My tri-tip roast turned out very well. Marinated, roasted at 425F to 135 degrees, rested, sliced against the grain. Very tasty, and enough for several meals for me -- I'm looking forward to a roast beef with horseradish sauce sammie.

I'm glad I wasn't drummed out of the corps for admitting that I don't have a grill, here on a grilling thread. It was that south Florida mention that drew me in.

I don't have a garlic press, either. :ohmy::blush:

Tonight the tri-tip hits the grill, if the weather cooperates.

My tri-tip roast turned out very well. Marinated, roasted at 425F to 135 degrees, rested, sliced against the grain. Very tasty, and enough for several meals for me -- I'm looking forward to a roast beef with horseradish sauce sammie.

I'm glad I wasn't drummed out of the corps for admitting that I don't have a grill, here on a grilling thread. It was that south Florida mention that drew me in.

I don't have a garlic press, either. :ohmy::blush:
Thanks for the report!
Lizzie, I have a grill but often do my tri tips in the oven, and they turn out great! I'm really sorry you had to pay such an outrageous price, as they are on sale here today at $2.97 lb. I'm glad you used very high heat, as anything under 400 degrees just won't give the browning one wants as I want mine rare.
My very favorite way to cook them is the way Dawg mentioned..in my stove/grill top smoker and finished on the open grill.
You're right, the leftovers are wonderful. I sometimes use the slices for steak and eggs the next morning. Yumm!! :yum:

Last edited:
Thanks for the report!

You're right, the leftovers are wonderful. I sometimes use the slices for steak and eggs the next morning. Yumm!! :yum:

Ooooo. Steak and eggs, YES!

One question: I froze single portions and wonder how to reheat them without turning them into shoe leather. I'd love to keep that lovely pink tenderness if possible.

Ooooo. Steak and eggs, YES!

One question: I froze single portions and wonder how to reheat them without turning them into shoe leather. I'd love to keep that lovely pink tenderness if possible.

With the exception of steak and eggs, I don't like to reheat it for the reason you mentioned. In addition to fabulous sandwiches (with some heated barbeque sauce) on toasted buns or sourdough, the cold slices are great for a "one dish salad meal", or diced up on top of a loaded baked potato for a complete meal.;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom