"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 03-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #41
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
With the exception of steak and eggs, I don't like to reheat it for the reason you mentioned. In addition to fabulous sandwiches (with some heated barbeque sauce) on toasted buns or sourdough, the cold slices are great for a "one dish salad meal", or diced up on top of a loaded baked potato for a complete meal.
I appreciate the tips, K. Sigh. I'll get rid of it all somehow.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
As I recall, roadfix buys them on sale then gloats about it here, knowing we in the East can't get it.
But the cryo-vac marinated tri-tips from Trader Joe's don't seem to turn to mush. I'm sure they've been sitting in the marinade for several days.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

and rubbing our noses in it...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #44
Certified Pretend Chef

Craig, how was the tri-tip?
Old 03-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Craig, how was the tri-tip?
Mine turned out great! Made sandwiches with sauted onions, mushrooms and a jus. Now it will probably be a long time before I see another tri-tip.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #46
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Finally, after searching for a couple years, I have bagged a Tri-tip! When you least expect, it shows up in a Publix weekly ad. Now tis time to discover what west coasters are always raving about! It's mine, all mine!

Into the marinade tonight and on the grill in 2-3 days!
Howdy...Tri-Tips are very common out here, so maybe you need to GO WEST...???

I realize the start of this thread is over a year old...

I eat a LOT of Tri-Tip...

Tri-tip is a cut of bottom round also known as the Santa Maria cut due to this wonderful hunk-o-beef allegedly first made popular there in Santa Maria, CA...

The closest to me Safeway has them on sale right now for $3.99...oh yeah...that means I try to buy several, if I have the room to store them...

You can cook them in an oven, dutch oven, over live flames (turn it a few times) of on a gas grill with the hood down...

By keeping track of the temperature with a thermometer in the very center and cooking it to just below medium rare, an dletting it rest 15 minutes with a foil tent, it will finish out with a slight pink in the center, and medium well out towards the tips...everybody's happy and get's their favorite cut of meat that if cooked by w skilled person will be tender, juicy, tasty, and everybody will want more...

Whikle you *can* slother on bbq sauce just before finishing, a good hunk-o-meat will stand up on it's own with just salt and pepper...

How do you tell IF you have a GOOD hunk-o-meat...???

IF wrapped in sanitary plastic you can pick it up and run your thumb over the package, pressing down a bit, into the meat feeling for hard grizzle...the meat you want to take home will have no hard grizzle seams or pockets...for sanitary reasons this is impossible to do IF the meat is unwrapped and in a butchers cold display...

When I cook it NOW using my gas grill, I start off with a hot sear and then turn off the middle gas burner and let the hunk-o-meat cook with indirect heat...usually takes about an hour with the hood closed, cooked fat side up...I often concoct a rub and apply a few hours before cooking...I rarely marinade so I don't overpower the taste...

This is not like a brisket that need 8 to 12 hours low and slow to be edible...

Experiment...whether you use a gas grill, oven, open fire, charcoal (uhg), the key is to CALIBRATE yourself to the Tri-Tip...undertstand it, love it, eat it...eat some more...repeat as needed...

Don't overcook it, and ALWAYS let it REST 15 minutes under a foil tent before cutting into it...

This one had Kinders mild bbq sauce slothered on just before it was done, and I let it "cook in" a little...this was a few days ago...between rain storms...

Here is a Tri-tip from last week:

This one was just over 2 pounds uncooked...

YUM...!!!

Y'all eat yet...???
Old 03-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #47
Assistant Cook

My modus operandi: eat the tips and stash the core in the 'fridge...besides sandwiches you can also dice it up for tacos carne asada (maybe y'all "back east" don't eat this ?)...it can also be cut up for chili...

For sandwiches I'll sometimes use the meat slicer to make thin slices and microwave...other times I'll cut by hand thicker slices and toss into a hot cast iron skillet with melted butter, and add a sprinkle of garlic salt...

The thinner slices are easier to bite through a sandwich...

You can also use Tri-Tip as the basis of a French Dip...

I eat Tri-tip as often as I can...several time a month at least...

Yummm...
Old 03-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #48
Executive Chef

Actually, this thread is from this year, actually from the beginning of this month, and could only be a year old if you are living in 2013! Interesting that you say tri-tip is bottom round as the ad where I saw it, listed it as sirloin roast.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #49
Assistant Cook

Howdy...that was a brain fart...it's botton Sirloin...I have no idea where the round came from...sometimes my fingers type things other than what my brain says to type...and the "edit button" is no longer visable...thanks
Old 04-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Rhodes View Post
Howdy...that was a brain fart...it's botton Sirloin...I have no idea where the round came from...sometimes my fingers type things other than what my brain says to type...and the "edit button" is no longer visable...thanks
It has nothing to do with your fingers or brain. The keys jump under the wrong fingers. Put the blame where it belongs. We all are great typists. And have the most brilliant minds. At least that is what I tell myself.

Tags
florida