"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 04-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #51
Assistant Cook

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
If you wet marinate that poor piece of meat for 2 or 3 days you will turn it to mush! 8 hours, tops, is all it needs. Or, you might be better off using a dry rub and wrapping it in plastic wrap if you plan on keeping it in the fridge for 2 or 3 days:

Tri-Tip Dry Rub
1 Tbs black pepper
2 tsp salt
Tbs paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried rosemary
tsp cayenne pepper
tsp Dijon mustard
⅓ cup red wine vinegar
⅓ cup vegetable oil
4 cloves crushed garlic

Your "dry rub" has some rather wet ingredients...

$6.99 a pound is a typical price, but when Safeway has it on sale for $3.99 you KNOW I'll go there and buy as many as I have storage space for...

The great thing about a Tri-Tip is that you really don't NEED to marinate it...the less you dink with it the better...a good hunk-o-beef will taste perfectly great with just salt and pepper...marinating was invented to cover up the bad taste of rotten meat in the Middle Ages..

While you can cook it by temperature (remember it WILL continue to cook after being removed from heat)...the old Coozie (chuck wagon cook) method was to whack it with a chef's spatula and listen to the sound...cooked meat sounds different than uncooked meat...it also feels different if you press yer thumb into it...just make sure you don't overcook it...

After you let it rest 15 minutes under a foil tent, the runoff juices can become a gravy or au jus...

I cook tri-tip about every 10 days, more often if on sale...I have several "cores" (center parts) that are allocated to future meals (sandwiches, chili, taco's, etc) ...

I won a chili contest once by using bbq Tri-Tip as my base, cubed into 1/2 inch chunks...

Often I'll cook a tri-tip fairly plain but have a sauce or gravy on the side...

I sometimes use a "chicken gravy" for beef...and for chicken I sometimes use a "country gravy"...and for country biscuits I use a "beef gravy"...the unlikely juxtaposition of these combinations adds a little bit more dimension...

Old 04-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Rhodes View Post
I sometimes use a "chicken gravy" for beef...and for chicken I sometimes use a "country gravy"...and for country biscuits I use a "beef gravy"...the unlikely juxtaposition of these combinations adds a little bit more dimension...
I'm curious what your "country gravy" is. I've been studying it lately. Here's what I've got.

1. Pour off the grease from the cooking pan.

2. Without cleaning the pan return about 1/4 cup grease to the pan.

3. Sprinkle about 1/3 cup flour in the pan, stir it and continue cooking it until it forms a golden-brown roux.

4. Whisking constantly stir in about 1-2 cups milk, adding more if the gravy becomes overly thick.

5. Season with salt and pepper and cook an additional 5-10 minutes until the gravy is smooth and thick.

6. Finally, adjust the seasonings.

So, just exchanging notes, how does my method compare to yours?

Tags
florida