"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 12-02-2011, 01:09 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Feel the urge for bbq!

Hi, day 2 of summer here in Melbourne and looks like some nice weather for a change!
I love these forums and hate them too, - love the inspiration and ideas and sharing the love of cooking (esp BBQ). Hate reading them on my lunch break with a cheese sandwich when all I want is a steak!
Roast lamb on rotisserie on Sunday with a few cold beers. Looking forward to it!

Old 12-02-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Stop Sledging Auss its freezing here with winds so strong they make the dunny door flap like a rooter grundies on payday.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
Head Chef

Welcome to DC.

Josie
Old 12-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Stop Sledging Auss its freezing here with winds so strong they make the dunny door flap like a rooter grundies on payday.
What was the tribal name we gave you? Something about a powerful wind that drives down the slopes to the sea.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Master Chef

I had that urge yesterday so I picked up 8 pounds of whole chicken wings and marinated them for a couple of hours in olive oil and herbs before tossing them on the charcoal grill. I left the wing tips on them and they came out nice and crisp.....almost as if they were fried. People loved them. The crunchiness. Dang.
For those who wanted them hot I simply watered down some Sweet Baby Rays and added cayenne powder to it for dipping.
Awesome.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #6
Master Chef

I'll be cooking up a whole New Your Strip Roast on New Years, along with the egg rolls, chicken tempura, shrimp scampi, Pineapple sweet & sour sauce, and whatever our guests bring. Seems to me they said something about bringing lobster tails, scallops, and the their very tasty Indian Pastires, with my home made Chicken Liver Pate'. They are also bringing desert.

This is much better than going out on the town for New Year's Eve celebration. We save up the cash for this meal every year, and share it with a family from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario every year.

And that wonderful beef roast, I've got the Webber all loaded up with charcoal, and have maple branches on standby. Only 25 days to go.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 12-05-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

oh man, i've never even seen a whole ny strip roast. your feast sounds great, chief.

have yous guys ever made a salt rub or compound butter for your grilled meats?

i'm not one to screw around with something like the purity of a steak cooked on it's own, but a local steak joint by me hits all of their grilled meats with a rub made of sea salt and fresh thyme. then, some cuts get an additional treatment of a chunk of thyme, parsley, and garlic butter as it rests.
fresh herbs, butter, and salt do amazing things to a hunk of scorched cow.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
oh man, i've never even seen a whole ny strip roast. your feast sounds great, chief.

have yous guys ever made a salt rub or compound butter for your grilled meats?

i'm not one to screw around with something like the purity of a steak cooked on it's own, but a local steak joint by me hits all of their grilled meats with a rub made of sea salt and fresh thyme. then, some cuts get an additional treatment of a chunk of thyme, parsley, and garlic butter as it rests.
fresh herbs, butter, and salt do amazing things to a hunk of scorched cow.
Strip roasts are great money savers. It is hard to find a well marbled chunk of meat though. The ends often look well marbled, but a few steaks in, they tend to become more lean. But they are also much less pricey than the pre-cut steaks, about half the price. But even at that, you're paying about $50 for a chunk of meat. It's a good thing New Year's Eve only comes once a year.

It's a terrible thing when your paycheck allows you to purchase something nice only once a year, and you have to scrape by from paycheck to paycheck. I hear of the mean wage being in the 6 digits in America. I don't know anybody who makes a wage in the 6 figure area, not where I live anyways. Normal wage in this area of the nation is about half that, with both husband and wife working. I'd better not get started down this road. It'll turn this into a rant, and this is neither the time or place.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North