Gonna grill for the first time in 35 years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes m'am. Just a few drop of liquid smoke.

Mine has a top and bottom vent with the ash tray. I read a bunch of reviews and the general concurrences was that the basic one with ash tray was more liked than the fancy one with the carrying handle. Alas, it has plastic handles. It's the way they make things these days.

I'm sure that I'll be happy with it because I pretty much no of nothing else. The last one I had a million years ago was more of a smoker than a grill. It was a tall cylindrical thing. It cooked some good meat for me. I bet'ch I could get the same results with my little basic Smokey Joe once I learn more by doing.

They say that rain is coming in but they're wrong as often as they're right. I'll be hugely pissed off if I get rained out on my first grilling day.

Last edited:
Mine has a top and bottom vent with the ash tray. I read a bunch of reviews and the general concurrences was that the basic one with ash tray was more liked than the fancy one with the carrying handle.

Yes, the deluxe Smokey Joe with the carrying handle sucks. It has trouble reaching very high temps for grilling due to the location of the intake vents. I have one of those and also have the traditional Smokey Joe with the bottom vent.
You've made a wise decision.

Yes m'am.

They say that rain is coming in but they're wrong as often as they're right. I'll be hugely pissed off if I get rained out on my first grilling day.

Liz, if it does rain the ribs will finish up beautifully under the broiler too.
I often do them that way, as I only have a gas grill and it makes really no difference if the gas flame comes from the top or the bottom.
Crossing my fingers for no rain tomorrow for you.

That's exactly how I do my ribs too Liz, with one exception. I don't want falling off the bone ribs, and 300 degrees for 3 hrs in the oven is just way too hot and long imo. I do mine at 250 degrees for 2 1/2 hrs with much better results. You'll notice when he cut the ribs after removing from the grill they just fell apart. Some resistance to the bone is how cooking contest ribs are judged.
Good luck and have fun with your new cooking toy!

That may win BBQ contests, but I get the best "guest" reviews when they do fall off the bone. I personally like it both ways, so I don't worry as long as they are relatively tender.

That may win BBQ contests, but I get the best "guest" reviews when they do fall off the bone. I personally like it both ways, so I don't worry as long as they are relatively tender.

I understand your POV Rick. For both of us, they are cooked perfectly if you can bite some meat cleanly from the bone and tear off some of the rest of the meat too with just a slight resistance. I know I know...pretty picky. :rolleyes:

Poor Papa tried of this after many of years.

Mamma had of the fire extinguisher. Papa put too much of the lighting fluid to the charcoal and made her afraid.

With love,
~Cat

Back
Top Bottom