Grilled Asparagus Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
Grilled Asparagus Soup

Ingredients:

2 pounds asparagus spears, tough ends removed
6 to 8 green onions, root ends trimmed
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups tightly packed baby spinach leaves
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh tarragon
Kosher salt

Directions:

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]
Place the asparagus and green onions in a large bowl and coat them with olive oil. Grill them over direct-medium heat until they are marked by the grill but not dark, 4 to 6 minutes, turning once. (Discard any unused olive oil.) Transfer to a cutting board, cut into 2-inch lengths, and place in a medium saucepan.

Add the chicken broth, spinach and pepper to the saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then lower heat and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to a food processor and puree them.

Return the pureed vegetables to the saucepan and mix well. Whisk in the cream and tarragon. Simmer the soup for 3 to 5 more minutes, but do not let it boil. Season with salt to taste. Serve warm. Makes 6 servings.

PER SERVING: Cal 195 (75% fat) Fat 17 g (4 g sat) Fiber 3 g Chol 14 mg Sodium 811 mg Carb 8 g Calcium 66 mg

Thanks Rainee. I made this last night. It is very good. I ended up seasoning it a little too much though. I didn't ruin it, but it is just a little teensy bit too salty. There are two minor changes I would make to this recipe next time. One change I would make is that I would not use a food processor to puree the veggies. It did not make the mix fine enough. I would use a blender (which means I now have an excuse to buy one :) ). The other change I would make is I would serve this as a cold soup. I am eating it cold right now and loving it. It was great warm too so I am sure I would still do it that way sometimes also, but I am loving it cold right now.

If you could get ahold of some purple asparagus that would make for a wonderfully heather-hued soup (I'd imagine). I really like this recipe, I'll be trying it soon for sure :)

Back
Top Bottom