"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 10-30-2006, 01:42 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Grilled Beets!! Tried 'em tonight

I'm always trying to add new veggies and color to our dinners. With a picky wife this isn't always easy.

Anyways, I had some raw beets in the fridge that I was going to roast and peel for salads, but I got this bug up my ( backside ) and decided to peel and cut 'em in half.

I drizzled some olive oil and tossed 'em on the grill. My wife even liked 'em this way.

It's nice to have another method of cooking beets.

The cool thing is that they are pretty hard to overcook. I burnt a couple, but once you slice 'em you don't even notice. Plus you still get that crunch inside.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:02 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Beets

They sound delicious.
I sometimes bake them, in their skins or boil them, in their skins. Then i peel them, and put a sour cream or yoghurt dressing on them.
I am lucky to have a partner who will eat anything. It is great, because i like to experiment, with my cooking.
That is a cute baby, in your photo. Mine is now almost 6 years old. Your picture reminds me, of how she used to be.

Mel

Old 10-30-2006, 03:36 AM   #3
Cook

Yep! We love grilled beets. But then I like beets cooked just about any old way. ;)
Old 10-30-2006, 08:40 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

I am on a bit of a crusade about "roasted beets" and have converted others on other boards to this way. First I'll say, I love the idea of grilling them and will do this almost immediately.
However, my "crusade" has to do with roasting. If you roast beets in the oven IN their peels and then peel them, you might as well have just boiled them. The "roasting" is only cooking the interior--really just steaming using the water in the beet. The caramelization of the surface sugars that gives roasted veggies their "good" just doesn't happen if the skin is on.
I peel and then roast--they are absolutely sublime. The skins get a bit of char and the beets are so concentrated in flavor.
As to "bleeding"--I find they bleed even less than when they are cooked and then peeled.
Try it--I honestly think you will like it.
And it is the way I shall grill mine. Thanks for the idea.
I have a salad that we had in Paris that absolutely lives in my memory--small diced roast beets on a bed of green green mached and drizzled with a walnut vinaigrette. Majorly good.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:34 AM   #5
Master Chef

So, from someone who's always cooked beets first & peeled later, how do you peel them without turning everything (including yourself) Pepto Bismol pink?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:58 AM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILSFAULT
I'm always trying to add new veggies and color to our dinners. With a picky wife this isn't always easy.

Anyways, I had some raw beets in the fridge that I was going to roast and peel for salads, but I got this bug up my ( backside ) and decided to peel and cut 'em in half.

I drizzled some olive oil and tossed 'em on the grill. My wife even liked 'em this way.

It's nice to have another method of cooking beets.

The cool thing is that they are pretty hard to overcook. I burnt a couple, but once you slice 'em you don't even notice. Plus you still get that crunch inside.
At least your wife likes something.
My girlfriend hates all vegetables, and all fruits besides berries.
Along with other things, this makes her very very picky.

Those sound good.
I've had pickled beats which I liked.
Sounds like something I'd like to try if I could get my dad to let go of the pickled beats.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:11 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
So, from someone who's always cooked beets first & peeled later, how do you peel them without turning everything (including yourself) Pepto Bismol pink?
That was sort of my point. They bleed much less in my experience than when peeling after cooking.
I roast them whole, turned in some olive oil.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:35 AM   #8
Master Chef

For some reason, I never see fresh beets in the grocery stores around here. Perhaps I can get my son-in-law to plant some next year. I'd love to try them roasted.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:43 AM   #9
Master Chef

Constance - they're really easy to grow. In fact, you can even grow them in containers. I love home-grown beets, as I can try so many different varieties/colors. Plus, my cockatoo just adores the greens!!
Old 10-30-2006, 01:13 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

In ours they are usually up with the "specialty" vegetables for some reason. Containers!! Now that is an interesting idea. Will toss that one to DH! Thanks.