"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 09-13-2006, 12:20 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Grilled Salmon

Ok, so we've got a nice hot grill here and we're going to go ahead and start some salmon fillets. I've already given it a scrub with a rag with some canola oil on it, and I'm going to go ahead and give it a quick spray with some grill spray here. Be careful not to hold the can too close to the flame here. I'm going to start this salmon with the flesh side down first. I've seasoned that with a dry seasoning mixture of garlic salt and lemon pepper so I'm going to get some good lines on this guy. Then we're going to flip him on the skin side. Once the flesh side is showing up, I've got a butter mixture over here that's got some beer butter and onions and garlic salt in it so I can brush that fish down throughout the cooking process. If you notice, I've got these dials cranked just above the off position. I don't want a really intense heat for this fish, but it's hot enough to cook on. So now we'll shut the lid here and get some of that good smoke kickin'.refLinks('grilled-salmon-recipe','Grilled salmon recipe');

Old 09-13-2006, 01:08 PM   #2
Everymom

It sounds wonderful. The only thing I do differently is always start on the skin side. That way, the skin gets nicely charred and is much easier to remove. I only do a quick sear on the flesh side for grill marks.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
Senior Cook

My mouth is watering at the thought... Its the one time I don't have salmon in the fridge that I want it so badly...
Old 09-14-2006, 04:01 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

...and I've got this empty plate here and a pitiful expression on my face.....

when do we eat?
Old 09-14-2006, 04:21 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
Yes Grilled Salomon I'll Be There... :)
Old 09-14-2006, 05:51 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Salmon is a big favorite here, and I grill it more than just about anything else.

Salmon will stick to the grill pretty easily, so I always rub it with olive oil, then season it.

I start it skin side down, and spray it with a bit more olive oil before turning it. I cook it longer on the skin side than the fleshy side to get the skin nice and crispy -- it will then slip off for those who don't like to eat it.

Be careful not to overcook it -- salmon should be dark pink, almost red in the middle of the thickest part, IMO. The Canadian Fisheries Rule of a total cooking time of 10 minutes per inch of thickness (5 minutes be side, or 4 + 6) works well if the fire is not too hot -- fire should be medium-low. I err on the undercooked side as I can always put it back on, and it continues to cook for a few minutes after removing it from the fire.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Be sure to get it off the grill at 140F. for a wonderful piece of salmon.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:22 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
It sounds wonderful. The only thing I do differently is always start on the skin side.
I was always taught to grill your 'presentation' side first. As the food heats and the proteins cause the meat to 'shrink,' you'll see a major different in how it looks.

You can still turn the fish and cook the skin side to remove it. We do... and I sell a LOT of it.

Ciao,
Old 09-15-2006, 08:39 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs
Be sure to get it off the grill at 140F. for a wonderful piece of salmon.
Its all personal preference. I like it when all the white fat is oozing out.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:09 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A
I was always taught to grill your 'presentation' side first. As the food heats and the proteins cause the meat to 'shrink,' you'll see a major different in how it looks.

You can still turn the fish and cook the skin side to remove it. We do... and I sell a LOT of it.

Ciao,
I agree. Oil the grill and the fish; season the fish; sear the presentation side until it "releases;" and grill the skin side until the skin is crisp and the flesh is tender, but not over done.