"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 10-11-2007, 05:25 PM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
In that type of grill, itís hard to regulate temp. If your vents are properly positioned with one down low on one side of the grill (say left side) and one up high on the other side, you can try closing the bottom vent to stop air in-take. But donít closes the top one. There will be a lot of smoke that needs to be evacuated, and you donít want that to build up too heavily and taint the taste your burgers.

When the smoke builds up, it will replace the oxygen in the unit and disallow further flare ups. BUT, that type of grill is so large, that this usually doesnít work....but that is the principal behind the dome grills.

The absolute safest thing to do is as Mystic said. Put your coals on one side (letís say left) and leave the right said clear as if you were smoking something. Put the burgers over the coals, and once they flare, move them over to the cool side, close the lid and wait for the fire to die down, then grill the second side of the burgers.

Doing it this way ensures you always have a safe place to go with the meat (meaning no scorched burgers), and you are constantly cooking even if it is with indirect heat. It takes a little longer with this method (not much, but a little) but if youíre burgers are really thick, youíll have to do it this way any how in order to avoid a scorched outside and rare inside.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:27 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Unlike a steak, the inside of the burger has been exposed to the world and you don't know what might be in there. Rare burgers are not a good idea. Cook 90 seconds, flip, 90 seconds, flip, 90 seconds, flip, 90 seconds. This will ensure the bugs are dead.

I'm just the messenger on this one. The info came from a cooking school at a restaurant here in Naples.

Buzz

Old 10-11-2007, 05:28 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
You want to flip your burgers at a 90ļ angle to the direction the way the grates run on your grill - but if the burgers are larger than the space between the grates it's not as much of a problem. But basically - if your grates run from left to right - slice your spatula in from the side and flip it L-R ... if your grates run from the front to back - slide your spatula in from the front, turn 90ļ and flip it over.
OH! Now I get what you were saying. Youíre flipping the burgers in such a way so that they canít ever hit the grates like a quarter goes into a coin slot!
Old 10-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #14
Head Chef

wow Keltin, i never noticed Auron in your avatar! Sweet!

Also, my grill is very small. I can grasp the concept Michael is saying, but don't think it will be an issue.

Guys, is this too much, or too little charcoal for the size of my grill?

Also, what are the advantages of closing the grill? It's a windy day outside, so i think i might either way. Here are the pics. Any charcoal suggestions would be great. It is regular charcoal with hints of mesquite chips inside.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:34 PM   #15
Master Chef

You got it, keltin!
Old 10-11-2007, 05:34 PM   #16
Head Chef

btw - they are shaped as a pyramid structure right now hard to portray that angle in the pics.

Keltin - Remember these guys?

Old 10-11-2007, 05:46 PM   #17
Head Chef

Guys if the wind is kind of blowing and flames arent too high should i close the lid while the coals are burning and im waiting for them to turn gray? I dont want my fire to die.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:57 PM   #18
Master Chef

Leave the lid open while the coals burn down - and make sure the bottom vent is all the way open.

Wow - I haven't seen one of those little New Braunfels barrel grills in a while! Yeah - you have plenty of charcoal!
Old 10-11-2007, 05:58 PM   #19
Head Chef

Michael man this is the first this has happened. My coals are turning slightly ashy but my fire will simply not stay lit. Im gonna let the fluid soak in for awhile rather than just douse it and try to light it...This is the last of my lighter fluid pretty much...this really sucks hard. I was counting on this flame to cook not only my burgers, but to roast poblanos and jalapenos for my salsa as well.

both of my dishes appear to be ruined. this sucks hard.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:59 PM   #20
Head Chef

Ahhhh, another FF fan! Never thought Iíd bump into FF fans here!

How are you going to light your coals. You really want to leave the lid open as they light. This is for maximum air flow and you keep from flaming the lid of your grill. If you donít have a chimney, then stack the coals in a pyramid shape, douse with some fluid, and wait 15 Ė 30 seconds, but no longer. The longer you wait, the deeper the fluid soaks into your coals. If it doesnít soak in, then it will burn off as they light leaving you untainted coals.

If you have an old coffee can (the big one) you can fill it full of coals, add some fluid, and toss in a match and walk away. Guaranteed light every time. In the pyramid configuration, as long as the bottom coals catch well, it wont matter if it's windy....in fact that can help. The coals donít get ďlitĒ by the big flames from the lighter fluid. That initial burn is only to get them started and glowing. Once a few on bottom are glowing red or have a few spots that are glowing red, they will continue to smolder and spread that ďfireĒ to the coals they are touching. For this reason, make sure you squirt some fluid into the pyramid pile so that the bottom coals get soaked.

Once they are lit and spread, and you start grilling, you definitely want to close the lid of your grill so that you retain the heat for better cooking and can also control the air flow somewhat.