"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 10-11-2007, 07:39 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
Wow. This is quite the saga you guys got goin' here.....
LOL ... don't you just love how something as simple as grilling a burger can be elevated to the level of seemingly impossible?

Old 10-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #32
Head Chef

Hey Hey Hey! Easy now!

Would have taken some pics fella, but the burgers got gobbled up.

They were solid in flavor, but i lost heat so i had to finish them under the broiler.

No biggie, came out good.

Next time should be much easier.

Thanks so much guys!

Old 10-11-2007, 08:20 PM   #33
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Well, I can finally see the pics. That IS a small grill. It looks like a firebox, but thereís nothing wrong with that. Iím not hating. In fact, one of my grills is a Smokey Joe, Weberís smallest, and itís great for cooking for two people. A half chicken on that thing is perfect, as well are two steaks 6 burgers, etc, etc, etc.

The only thing I did see wrong is there is no charcoal grate in the bottom of it. Probably designed that way (as opposed to having been lost), but Iíd change that ASAP. Itís one of the reasons you lost heat this time aroundÖ..without good airflow, the coals choked and died out.

They probably donít make a grate for this rig, but you can improvise by getting a cheap Gas Grill cooking grate (a cheap one) and putting it in there. Those are rectangular and should work nicely if you shop around and find the right size. If youíve got a cutting wheel for your drill, then it doesnít matter what size you get since you can customize it!

A grate in the bottom will lift the charcoal off the floor and allow that lower air vent to bring in air under the charcoal where it will then rise and fan the coals. With the charcoal laying on the floor like that, the air just swirls around the charcoal, and worse, gets heated and rises above the coals and doesnít fan them.

One of the biggest flaws with the old ECBs was that they just threw the coals into a closed pan (basically a water pan) with no ventilation and no clearance from the floor. A mod that added ventilation and raised the coals off the floor drastically changed the way those things cooked.

If youíre going to use this particular grill much, give some serious thought to modifying it with a lower charcoal grate to get your coals off the floor. You will see an amazing difference in performance!
Old 10-11-2007, 08:43 PM   #34
Head Chef

Keltin, dude, it DID come with a second grate. But there was no mounts on the bottom, it would just rest there...so i assumed it was a backup grate for the top.

Wow, thanks for the tip man. I'm gonna use the bottom grate next time.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #35
Head Chef

Now that i look at it - it's too small to fit at the top.

Again, many many thanks.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:48 PM   #36
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig View Post
Keltin, dude, it DID come with a second grate. But there was no mounts on the bottom, it would just rest there...so i assumed it was a backup grate for the top.

Wow, thanks for the tip man. I'm gonna use the bottom grate next time.
Excellent! Iíve seen many grills that allow the charcoal grate to just rest against the sides. They expect you to properly position it (they donít place pegs but it should rest with no angles, make it level) but the shape of the cooker pretty much handles that. The grate is rectangular right, so it should sit perfectly without moving. Just move it around a bit after positioning to make sure itís level, and youíre good to go.

Glad to hear it has one! Use it and I guarantee you will see a difference!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:16 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Come to The Darkside
We have propane here......
Old 10-11-2007, 10:02 PM   #38
Head Chef

LOL pacanis.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:12 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Legsbig, you might want to serious consider getting a charcoal chimney. You pour charcoal into the top, and either wad up newspaper in the bottom, or take a few pieces of charcoal, soak with lighter fluid, then light. It will get all the charcoal caught really quickly.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #40
Head Chef

thanks allen, ill be getting a whole new rig as soon as i get ahold of some cash.

Couple questions, i know at least a couple of you are bored at work ;)

1. Can you guys reccomend an online site with some amazing high quality charcoal?

2. Can you guys give me any tips for grilling up some bone in - skin on chicken breasts? Baste them? open or closed? etc...turn them?

3. Can you guys give me any tips for grilling up some 1" thick sirloin steaks on this thing?