"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 10-12-2007, 09:20 PM   #61
Head Chef

The time i tried to use that lump charcoal(im assuming that's what it was, it said mesquite chunks)

It was hard as **** to get it lit, and yeah it burned up, someone i was talking to said that you're supposed to mix that kind of charcoal with briquettes rather than using it alone?

any truth to that?

Old 10-12-2007, 09:22 PM   #62
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig View Post
Oh i've used lump charcoal, like where it just looks like chunks of black wood?

I was more thinking normal style charcoal friend, but a better brand, better materials, infused with something better, i don't know. I mean there has to be something better than the crap i'm using.
Yep, what you described is lump. Partially burned wood.

Personally, of all the charcoal briquettes I’ve tried, you simply can’t go wrong with Kingsford briquettes. If you’ve got them, you’ll be fine. From there you can add wood chips or even foiled packs of pellets. But Kingsford briquettes won’t let you down.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:27 PM   #63
Head Chef

Quote:
The time i tried to use that lump charcoal(im assuming that's what it was, it said mesquite chunks)

It was hard as **** to get it lit, and yeah it burned up, someone i was talking to said that you're supposed to mix that kind of charcoal with briquettes rather than using it alone?

any truth to that?
Depends on what it was. If it was pure wood chunks, then yeah you need charcoal to help it out. But if it was lump coal burned down (black) from mesquite, then it is fine by itself. And hot! Great for steaks!

Technically, you CAN make a little bon-fire out of pure mesquite or other hardwood chunks and grill on the embers, I’ve done it, but it takes forever to burn the wood down (which is fun in its own right), and it’s rather wasteful considering the price of a bag of those chunks……which were meant for smoking.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #64
Head Chef

They have Kingsford around here. If you say those are good enough, i'll take your word for it.

Can you reccomend something i can throw in with them to add some punch?

Also, what would you reccomend i try out for my first grilled Pork dish?

Do you ever do any pork?

Not up for smoking yet, not by a longshot. Just somethin grilled.

Cheers.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:48 PM   #65
Head Chef

Quote:
They have Kingsford around here. If you say those are good enough, i'll take your word for it.

Do you ever do any pork?

Cheers.
For a little kick, you can throw some wood chips that have been soaked in water on the coals or use a foil pack that has smoke pellets in it. They sell these at Wal-Mart on other stores.

Further, the fat drippings from your meat vaporizes and add to the flavor.

Also, add a sauce that drips down off the meat and hits the coals….well that adds to the flavor of the smoke that is rising! I’ve even seen an “old timer’ do a weird trick, and while I’m not endorsing this, I will say that I have seen it done….and the meat DID have a little extras something to it. He would take his favorite liquor (Whiskey usually) and drizzle it over the meat so that it flowed and hit the coals. The whiskey vaporized and made smoke which hit the meat. Tasted pretty dang good.

Just remember that grilling is fast……as you saw tonight. You usually don’t have a lot of time to play with smoke flavor while grilling.

Try a half chicken that you split yourself so that all the bone is in place. Those take about 35 to 45 minutes depending on fire and grill, and on those you can play with smoke.

Otherwise, get your smoke going (wet wood or foil pack) before you add your meat to the grill, and then just grill as usual in the presence of smoke.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:45 AM   #66
Head Chef

cheers :) will give it a shot...im going to walmart today so i'll look for those smoke pellets...
Old 10-13-2007, 11:09 AM   #67
Head Chef

Quote:
I hear you chief. I'd love to give one a try.

I already went and looked at grills today.

I found one for 100 bucks that has two racks, a chimney, and two wooden shelves.

I'ma pick it up next week.

Cheers
So the new one will be a charcoal grill too?
Old 10-13-2007, 11:22 AM   #68
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Quote:

Do you ever do any pork?

Cheers.
You mentioned pork - can't beat a pork tenderloin on the grill. Use your favorite rub (I use salt,pepper, garlic) over med hot, only takes about 5 mins. on each four sides. So tender and good ! Our favorite!
Old 10-13-2007, 12:52 PM   #69
Head Chef

Wow.....Barb that is what i'm gonna make for dinner tomm...i hope i can find one down here. I was thinking the same thing, but for some reason i was thinking it would take forever. I bought a really cool rub today, has some amazing ingredients in it.

Vagriller - Yes. I'm going charcoal only. If i don't want to use a charcoal fire, i will cook inside.

Tonight's Menu:

Jalapeno Sausage & Fajita tacos

Manchego stuffed jalapeno peppers wrapped in bacon

All cooked on the pit.

Will post pics, of course.

Any suggestions on the stuffed jalapenos?

Cheers
Old 10-13-2007, 02:16 PM   #70
Senior Cook

Quote:
Any suggestions on the stuffed jalapenos?
Don't know what Manchango is but... I would recommend using regular sliced bacon as opposed to the thick stuff. The thick stuff takes for ever to crisp up.

For the peppers, build the fire off to one side and put the peppers on the other. A few wood chips on the coals will be nice for flavor. Shoot for a temp fo about 300 for an hour or so.

BTW for cooking tenderloin, I can't recommend enough using a thermometer to check temp. I like to use a probe thermometer (partly because I experiment with temperature) and I pull em at around 140 to 145o.

For pork chops and steaks you can use the touch method for checking doneness but I find that loins are too thick to be able to tell what's going on in the center just by touching.