Grilling Burger - First Time ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
Do i need to brush some oil on the pit or can i just rub an onion like normally?

I've only grilled meats in the past that won't possibly fall apart when i flip them. This is charcoal grilling, btw.

Don't want to ruin my dinner.

These will not be marinated or basted, and are 75/25 meat.

Thanks in advance.

Im kind of scared to brush oil because doesn't it burn and spit flames? lol. Sorry for the noob questions.

cheers

Well, after you light your charcoal (I hope you use a chimney starter and not lighter fluid or self-lighting charcoal loaded with lighter fluid) and you spread your coals out and your grill is hot, and clean - take a paper towel and fold it a few times and hold it with tongs to make a disposable "brush" ... then either pour a little oil on it, or dip it in some oil, and brush the grill with it. Shouldn't be any flare-ups.

But, as much fat as your meat has - that would only be if you want to do it - I don't think it would be necessary. Having your grill clean is more important.

Use a spatula to turn your burgers and turn them perpendicular to the way the grill runs ... this will keep the edges from getting caught between the grill elements ... tongs or a fork are more likely to break your burgers.

Now, again, with 25% fat content .... have a water-gun or spray bottle with water handy to knock down the flare-ups you're going to get.

Last edited:
Michael, i'm new to Charcoal Grilling, i'm not aware of the method you speak of. I have always just soaked the charcoal with fluid, let it sit for like 15 mins, and lit it up and waited until the coals got gray and the fire had died down and then grilled.

Can you clarify this concept to me friend?

"Use a spatula to turn your burgers and turn them perpendicular to the way the grill runs ... this will keep the edges from getting caught between the grill elements ... tongs or a fork are more likely to break your burgers."

btw - what do you think about letting your grill get hot and then scrubbing with an onion until clean?

also, what do you think is the max thickness you should have on charcoal grilled burgers? are 6oz patties ok?

Cheers.

What kind of grill are you using? You say charcoal, so is it a Weber kettle or another domed type grill? The design of the dome grills prohibit flare ups while the lid is on.

If it is a square type grill, or an open pit, you’re likely to have some problems with fatty meat like burgers and chicken quarters.

For you patties, just work them really well so that the meat is pressed together good. You don’t want to be able to see the individual shreds of meat, but instead want a homogeneous patty. If it’s loose and you can see the individual strands, it’s liable to break apart.

Don’t worry about greasing the grate. When your coals are ready, spread them and put the grate on and allow it to heat for 5 or so minutes. Drop the patties on the hot grate, and then cover the grill. A good sear and the fat from the burgers will cause them to naturally release when they are ready to flip......about 5 minutes of cooking.

Flip them, then cover and cook another 5. When you flip them, it often helps to move them around to a different spot if they are real fatty. The fats can drop down and cool the coals directly under the patty (but that is likely to flare up when the lid comes off), and moving the patties to another spot where the grate is hot allows a good sear on the second side.

When you lift the lid, depending on your coals and grill, it is liable to flare up...big time in some cases. Don’t sweat it. Just flip your burgers and cover the grill again. Once the lid is on, the flare up will die down. However, this only applies to a domed grill. If you’re using a square or open pit (or a gas grill for that matter) you’ll want to move the patties to an entirely new location where the fat hasn’t dripped down yet.

After 5 minutes on the second side, depending on the size of your burgers, you’re done or nearly done. Press lightly on the burger (don’t mash on it as this will squeeze out the juices), and see if it’s firm. If it is thick and feels squishy like a water bed, it’s not done. A meat thermometer is your best friend at this point if you aren’t used to judging doneness by feel. If they need a little more time to fully cook, flip them again, and let them cook a few more minutes.

Let me find a picture of my grill for you guys. It's a little fellow. It's shaped like a drum.

charbroil-silver-smoker-721095.gif

Its like that, but only one drum, and the drum is very small.

Also, there is no chimney, only two valves on the side. One valve is lower, near the coals, and one is higher, near the grate.

Oh, it’s a barrel grill. You’re gonna’ get flare ups no matter what on one of those.

In that case, the easiest thing to do is to spread your coals out into two piles that are somewhat separated from one another. Grill on the first side over one pile, then move the patties (with a metal spatula) to the other pile of coals. I wouldn’t suggest using a spray bottle as this can cause ash to fly up and cover your meat. It’s best to move the patties to a different spot that isn’t being fueled by the burning fat.

That grill is large enough (long from left to right) for the two pile trick, and it saves you a lot of headaches.

I always lightly oil the burgers before putting them on the grill. Actually, I oil one side of the burger and put that side down. Before flipping the burger, I'll oil the second side.

I like my burgers thick and with a hot grill, it's easy to burn the outside of a burger waiting for the inside to cook. To avoid this problem, build a two zone fire with hot coals on just half the grill. Then put the burgers on the hot side, let the first side get a good sear then turn it over and sear the second side. Then move it to the side without the coals and let it finish cooking there with the cover on the grill. This way, the inside is perfectly cooked and the outside isn't burned.

Michael

I have no idea how to regulate the temperature on my coals.

This is like my fourth time grilling.

The first three i did fajitas.

This is a chimney starter and how to use it. I don't like the taste that charcoal lighter adds to my food. You can get one at Ace Hardware for about $10 .... or Lowe's, Home Depot, Sears, etc.

As for the onion - I've never tried to clean a grill that way ... but it's an idea I'll have to try.

The two "valves" are vents that control the airflow ... the more open they are the more airflow. With the right airflow you could have a flareup with the lid closed. If nothing else - have a bowl of water handy and use your fingers to sprinkle water on the flames if they are a problem.

You want to flip your burgers at a 90º angle to the direction the way the grates run on your grill - but if the burgers are larger than the space between the grates it's not as much of a problem. But basically - if your grates run from left to right - slice your spatula in from the side and flip it L-R ... if your grates run from the front to back - slide your spatula in from the front, turn 90º and flip it over. Of course - if you raise it up enough and flip it quick - that shouldn't be a problem, either.

Last edited:
In that type of grill, it’s hard to regulate temp. If your vents are properly positioned with one down low on one side of the grill (say left side) and one up high on the other side, you can try closing the bottom vent to stop air in-take. But don’t closes the top one. There will be a lot of smoke that needs to be evacuated, and you don’t want that to build up too heavily and taint the taste your burgers.

When the smoke builds up, it will replace the oxygen in the unit and disallow further flare ups. BUT, that type of grill is so large, that this usually doesn’t work....but that is the principal behind the dome grills.

The absolute safest thing to do is as Mystic said. Put your coals on one side (let’s say left) and leave the right said clear as if you were smoking something. Put the burgers over the coals, and once they flare, move them over to the cool side, close the lid and wait for the fire to die down, then grill the second side of the burgers.

Doing it this way ensures you always have a safe place to go with the meat (meaning no scorched burgers), and you are constantly cooking even if it is with indirect heat. It takes a little longer with this method (not much, but a little) but if you’re burgers are really thick, you’ll have to do it this way any how in order to avoid a scorched outside and rare inside.

Last edited:
Unlike a steak, the inside of the burger has been exposed to the world and you don't know what might be in there. Rare burgers are not a good idea. Cook 90 seconds, flip, 90 seconds, flip, 90 seconds, flip, 90 seconds. This will ensure the bugs are dead.

I'm just the messenger on this one. The info came from a cooking school at a restaurant here in Naples.

Buzz

You want to flip your burgers at a 90º angle to the direction the way the grates run on your grill - but if the burgers are larger than the space between the grates it's not as much of a problem. But basically - if your grates run from left to right - slice your spatula in from the side and flip it L-R ... if your grates run from the front to back - slide your spatula in from the front, turn 90º and flip it over.

OH! Now I get what you were saying. You’re flipping the burgers in such a way so that they can’t ever hit the grates like a quarter goes into a coin slot!

wow Keltin, i never noticed Auron in your avatar! Sweet!

Also, my grill is very small. I can grasp the concept Michael is saying, but don't think it will be an issue.

Guys, is this too much, or too little charcoal for the size of my grill?

Also, what are the advantages of closing the grill? It's a windy day outside, so i think i might either way. Here are the pics. Any charcoal suggestions would be great. It is regular charcoal with hints of mesquite chips inside.

img_493704_0_b3ae4ea37d517ba1ed40f2299e523d4a.jpg

img_493704_1_3e1f89d4d749715cc96c0e0df0f3bd9e.jpg

img_493704_2_0758ace698de2fba2c9ede8658e99cf9.jpg

btw - they are shaped as a pyramid structure right now hard to portray that angle in the pics.

Keltin - Remember these guys?

header.jpg

blog-amano-ffiv-kain.jpg

Guys if the wind is kind of blowing and flames arent too high should i close the lid while the coals are burning and im waiting for them to turn gray? I dont want my fire to die.

Leave the lid open while the coals burn down - and make sure the bottom vent is all the way open.

Wow - I haven't seen one of those little New Braunfels barrel grills in a while! Yeah - you have plenty of charcoal!

Michael man this is the first this has happened. My coals are turning slightly ashy but my fire will simply not stay lit. Im gonna let the fluid soak in for awhile rather than just douse it and try to light it...This is the last of my lighter fluid pretty much...this really sucks hard. I was counting on this flame to cook not only my burgers, but to roast poblanos and jalapenos for my salsa as well.

both of my dishes appear to be ruined. this sucks hard.

Ahhhh, another FF fan! Never thought I’d bump into FF fans here!

How are you going to light your coals. You really want to leave the lid open as they light. This is for maximum air flow and you keep from flaming the lid of your grill. If you don’t have a chimney, then stack the coals in a pyramid shape, douse with some fluid, and wait 15 – 30 seconds, but no longer. The longer you wait, the deeper the fluid soaks into your coals. If it doesn’t soak in, then it will burn off as they light leaving you untainted coals.

If you have an old coffee can (the big one) you can fill it full of coals, add some fluid, and toss in a match and walk away. Guaranteed light every time. In the pyramid configuration, as long as the bottom coals catch well, it wont matter if it's windy....in fact that can help. The coals don’t get “lit” by the big flames from the lighter fluid. That initial burn is only to get them started and glowing. Once a few on bottom are glowing red or have a few spots that are glowing red, they will continue to smolder and spread that “fire” to the coals they are touching. For this reason, make sure you squirt some fluid into the pyramid pile so that the bottom coals get soaked.

Once they are lit and spread, and you start grilling, you definitely want to close the lid of your grill so that you retain the heat for better cooking and can also control the air flow somewhat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom