"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 09-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Okay then, next time it's on the grill with the husks on.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Thanks everyone. We nuked them. I've done that before. I stripped all the leaves & silk and wrapped them in parchment paper.

Pac, when you grill them, is that on charcoal or with a gas grill?

We have more corn, so will be able to try more methods.
Oh no, leave the husks on when you nuke, I pull off some of the tough outer husks and silk, wrap them in a damp paper towel, and nuke away.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh no, leave the husks on when you nuke, I pull off some of the tough outer husks and silk, wrap them in a damp paper towel, and nuke away.
Have you ever tried doing it with just a twist of parchment paper? I've nuked corn lots of times and haven't found it turned out any better other ways.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks everyone. We nuked them. I've done that before. I stripped all the leaves & silk and wrapped them in parchment paper.

Pac, when you grill them, is that on charcoal or with a gas grill?

We have more corn, so will be able to try more methods.
Either or. I do them this way on both, but the gasser gets fired up more than the charcoal grill.

Corn... better get it while you can. The season is all but over here
Although the imported stuff was pretty good earlier in the year. Amazing that trucking business.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Have you ever tried doing it with just a twist of parchment paper? I've nuked corn lots of times and haven't found it turned out any better other ways.
I used to do that too, but it's so quick and easy just leaving it in the husk. We had it that way many times this summer, don't even need to put it on a plate, just directly on the turntable.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I used to do that too, but it's so quick and easy just leaving it in the husk. We had it that way many times this summer, don't even need to put it on a plate, just directly on the turntable.
It just seemed easier than finding a way to fasten the end. The leaves weren't covering the corn properly.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
It just seemed easier than finding a way to fasten the end. The leaves weren't covering the corn properly.
Doesn't matter, I never fasten the end, and I can compost the container!
Old 09-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Doesn't matter, I never fasten the end, and I can compost the container!
I never fastened the end before, but the leaves really weren't covering the corn properly. You can compost parchment paper.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:42 AM   #19
Executive Chef

First, I pretend the corn is square, not round. 5 min's or so per side and turn opposites. Med direct heat on the charcoal grill. My gasser gave its last gasp, but the method was the same, a little lower temp. I don't have as much room on my weber if making multiple ears. So after I pull whatever meat was grilled and is resting, that's when I throw the corn on.

No pre soak. Pull off exposed / outside silk and any loose leaves if you want. Turn when outer leaves start to get dark tan/ brown. Some kernals will be a bit caramelized when you serve. I Like this part !!
That's it.

After I discovered I like grilled corn more than boiled, now I cook frozen corn in a little butter until it caramelizes too.

In the microwave, off season, is easy too. Same method,but shorter cooking time. You can also lay ears in the oven 350 directly on an oven rack, but I couldn't say how long.

I saw this handy dandy video, or one like it. This guy makes it look easy. I don't find it always works, but maybe it's me. I think he cuts off too much cob for demonstration. Overall,yes. The steaming/ cookng/ grilling loosens the silks in the husks and there is no need to think about picking them out. Wear gloves when handling hot corn.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:58 AM   #20
Master Chef

Want another option? Himself tried about 3 or 4 different ways this summer and his favorite was pretty easy. Strip the corn naked like you're going to boil/steam it - save the husks. Soak corn and husks in a bowl of water that goes out to the grill with you. Lay corn on grill rack (we have a gas grill), cover with the wet husks, and close the grill lid. Lift lid and rotate the corn every minute or two, splashing the reserved water if the husks look dry. When some kernels on all sides of the ear are a bit charred remove the husks and grill with the lid up for about another minute to evaporate the water off.

He liked this method best because you don't have to do anything with the ears when they come in but put a bit of butter on them and chow down! I thought they turned out good every way he did them - husks on, husks off, soaked or not. If you are so inclined I would advise buying and grilling as much corn as you want so you have extra to freeze. One time he did about 8 ears so we had enough to go with dinner (heck, the 8 ears could have BEEN dinner!) plus enough to cut off the cob and turn into a corn and black bean salad.

Tags
corn, grill