"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 08-09-2007, 01:45 AM   #11
Cook

I'm not a fan of plain grilled pineapple. I like to coat them in some maple syrup, cinammon and rum. Grill them in that, then dribble the remaining sauce all over it, served with banana and strawberry, both grilled. I like to have this as a dessert accompanied by some sorbet, preferably orange or lemon/lime. I like to mix all this in a dessert bowl with warm chocolate sauce over it if requested.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:58 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

no extras necessary, imo. not even oil, if your grill is clean.

grilled pineapple is fantastic, as well as grilled peaches, mangoes, plantains, apples, and pears, my other favourite grilled fruits.

after grilling (getting that char and smokey carmelized sugars), if you want to add or toss in a pan sauce of citrus and sugar, even a flambe', then so be it. fresh herbs like sage, thyme, or basil will add another dimension to the dessert.

don't forget the ice cream.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:01 AM   #13
Sous Chef

I used to add goodies to the pineapple, but finally found we love it just plain, pure! Also, one night I didn't clean it or core it, just sliced into wedges and put on the grill - WONDERFUL! The core was even tender to eat - and it has so much flavor to it.

bk - I used to have a 'grill pan' threw it away after it collected enuf dust... ;)
Old 08-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #14
Master Chef

Have any of you tried Del Monte's new Golden Pineapple? It is so sweet and succulent! If you run across it, give it a try...you'll be glad you did.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by llvllagical_llkook
I'm not a fan of plain grilled pineapple. I like to coat them in some maple syrup, cinammon and rum. Grill them in that, then dribble the remaining sauce all over it, served with banana and strawberry, both grilled. I like to have this as a dessert accompanied by some sorbet, preferably orange or lemon/lime. I like to mix all this in a dessert bowl with warm chocolate sauce over it if requested.
finally got a chance to try this - & it was just as good as it sounds!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Marinade them in some dark rum or other liquor of your choice, then throw 'em on the grill.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:37 AM   #17
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrdr View Post
finally got a chance to try this - & it was just as good as it sounds!! Thanks for sharing!
No problem. Pineapple is great to be grilled or fried, with other foods, basted or tossed up on the grill with a little oil. Maple syrup, cinammon and rum with the grilled pineapples and other fruits takes a little more work but I love it. Alternatively, use maple syrup and Goldshlagger. It's this cinammon-flavoured liquor with golden, edible, tasteless flakes. Use it if you don't have cinammon or want something else.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Brushing the pineapple with a oil or a glaze is not necessary. But depending on the dish you are making a glaze can enchance the flavor. Personal when I grill pineapples I dont brush with anything I do however dizzle them with a little honey butter right when they come off the grill.

Ask a Chef
askchefshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:02 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Chausiubao
How do you guys choose pineapples? How do you know when its ready to be used?
Old 08-23-2007, 09:12 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chausiubao View Post
How do you guys choose pineapples? How do you know when its ready to be used?
There is a couple of thing you can look for.

If you press the pineapple lightly with your finger it should have a little give to it. You can also tap the pineapple with the palm of your hand the sound that it makes should be muffled, not hollow sounding.

Avoid pineapples with spots or darkend eyes, yellow and wilting leaves, or if there are overly soft spots.

Hope this helps

Ask a Chef
askchefshawn is offline   Reply With Quote