"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 10-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Grilling thick steaks

Picked up some really nice round steaks at Sam's Club today (just over an inch thick). I've never grilled steaks this thick before and need help on the best way to cook them so I can get them medium . Will probably marinate them in a Teriaki (sp?) marinade first.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Executive Chef

That's about the thickness I always buy also.

I cook mine at about 6 inches from the coals. I use a grilling probe in the meat to tell me when it reaches the proper center temperature.

I use only enough coals to have one layer, where the briquettes are just touching and only directly under the steak, not covering the entire grill.

I leave the grill open.

Turn the steak only once at exactly half the end temp, minus the meat start temp.

Here's an example: If the meat is at 50 degrees already, and you want an end temp of 160, then 160-50 is 110. Half of 110 is 55. Add 55 to 50 and you turn the steak exactly at 105.

Sounds harder than it is. It's actually completely logical and I can vouch for it's accuracy. Mine turn out perfectly every single time. Done the same on both sides, right to the center.

For "Medium" doneness, take the steak off the grill when the center temp is 150F and let it rest for 5 minutes. The center temp will increase while it rests, to 160F.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
Master Chef

I like to bring thick steaks to near room temperature before putting them on the grill for even doneness.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
That's about the thickness I always buy also.

I cook mine at about 6 inches from the coals. I use a grilling probe in the meat to tell me when it reaches the proper center temperature.

I use only enough coals to have one layer, where the briquettes are just touching and only directly under the steak, not covering the entire grill.

I leave the grill open.

Turn the steak only once at exactly half the end temp, minus the meat start temp.

Here's an example: If the meat is at 50 degrees already, and you want an end temp of 160, then 160-50 is 110. Half of 110 is 55. Add 55 to 50 and you turn the steak exactly at 105.

Sounds harder than it is. It's actually completely logical and I can vouch for it's accuracy. Mine turn out perfectly every single time. Done the same on both sides, right to the center.

For "Medium" doneness, take the steak off the grill when the center temp is 150F and let it rest for 5 minutes. The center temp will increase while it rests, to 160F.
Thanks, forgot to mention I'm using a gas grill.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
Half Baked

I always grill my steaks as hot as I can. I use the thumb/palm/finger method to tell for doneness. It may not be as accurate as a thermometer but I am not picky about how my steak is done either.

Roadfix is right about bringing to temp first.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I always grill my steaks as hot as I can. I use the thumb/palm/finger method to tell for doneness. It may not be as accurate as a thermometer but I am not picky about how my steak is done either.

Roadfix is right about bringing to temp first.
Right-o

Bring to room temp, season with salt (if you havent marinaded), cook on a hot grill.

Round steak only to medium or it will be very tough
Old 10-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Be SURE to let it them rest, at least 8-10min. Everything else seems to have been touched on.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #8
Master Chef

Slice thinly against the grain.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
Senior Cook

All of the above is what I would say.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Steakhouse secrets:

Here's another trick for really thick cuts of meat (2" +) IF you like more bark outside but medium rare inside...firm chill in freezer to stiff and bendable but not solid frozen...oil grill with peanut oil...flame on a good sear for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to about 250* for 45 min +/-...check internal temperature...

Another steakhouse trick is to finish a steak with a hot flat top (chef's flat grill) to give the outside a good visual finish...while "marking" with grill marks looks nice, you can't taste grill marks when blindfolded...

Many steakhouse will precook in an oven to rare, then into the reefer box until needed, then cook over a live flame to desired doneness...swabbing with au jus or garlic butter doesn't hurt either...