Help on cooking thick pork chops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michelemarie

Executive Chef
I have some pork chops that are 1-1/2 - 2" thick - I grilled them and they did not taste very good. I put them in a bad with a little evoo and some spices for about an hour. I seared them 4 minutes a side then lowered the heat to medium-low-medium (chops being on the "low" section) and cooked them for 6 minutes a side - temp was about 165 inside when I took them off- they seemed flavorless and dry to me - any suggestions - I have eight more chops in the freezer. They look beautiful but taste ehhhh. I appreciate your help, thanks!

This is a recipe I use often and love it! The only thing I really do differently is marinate for a couple days versus just overnight. Makes a tremendous difference IMHO.

Use a rub of spices and brown sugar, for at least 15 hours. Don't bother searing them, just cook them slowly, at least an hour. Make a bbq sauce to brush on after they cook at least an hour, but cook another 20 minutes or so with the sauce.

Last edited:
I use this recipe and they do come out tasty and moist. The chops are about half the thickness of yours, so I would guess the cooking times have to be adjusted somewhat. I cook mine till internal temp is 165-170 so I don't follow the cooking time so much and usually the chops I use are not the thickness they specify in the recipe.
Easy Oven-Barbecued Pork Chops - Baked Pork Chop Recipe

Kitchenelf, thanks for the recipe-sounds delish! Aera, your recipe sounds great too, I suppose I could slice the chops. Vera, what spices do you use? Also, what temp do you grill on - direct or indirect heat?

Kitchenelf, thanks for the recipe-sounds delish! Aera, your recipe sounds great too, I suppose I could slice the chops. Vera, what spices do you use? Also, what temp do you grill on - direct or indirect heat?

I'd use kosher salt, cracked black pepper, a sprinkle of cayenne, paprika, granulated garlic, oregano, thyme and brown sugar. If you are going to cook low and slow, always use indirect heat. It's more like you're roasting.

Last time we cooked thick pork chops (ours were about 1 1/2" thick), I marinated them in Italian dressing for 4 hours, and then we grilled them to 135 degrees, and they were really good...tender, and not dry at all. I do believe that next time I'll marinate them overnight...I think they'll be even better.
I like the idea of adding the brown sugar, Vera. That will help them caramelize nicely.

I just asked DH how he grilled them, and he said he used medium heat (about 350), and grilled them directly over the coals.

Last edited:
Pork chops are a good candidate for brining. It will ensure their moistness and enhance their flavor.

Then sear on both sides and pop them into a 400 F oven for about 10 minutes. Look for an intenal temperature of 145-150 F and let them rest for 10 minutes before serving.

I have some pork chops that are 1-1/2 - 2" thick - I grilled them and they did not taste very good. I put them in a bad with a little evoo and some spices for about an hour. I seared them 4 minutes a side then lowered the heat to medium-low-medium (chops being on the "low" section) and cooked them for 6 minutes a side - temp was about 165 inside when I took them off- they seemed flavorless and dry to me - any suggestions - I have eight more chops in the freezer. They look beautiful but taste ehhhh. I appreciate your help, thanks!

An internal temp of 165 is way, way too high for pork. Cook it until about 140-145, then remove it from the oven. Carryover cooking will take it up another 3-5 degrees, so as long as you catch it before it hits 150 in the oven, it should be fairly moist.

Thick pork chops are about the only things I ever brine. I cook them direct to brown, both sides, and find that I rarely have to move them over to indirect at all (or for a very short time) to get them to the 140 internal temp that I like.

IMO, 165 is way too overdone, Michelemarie.

Lee

WOW! No wonder why they tasted so dry - they were way overcooked! Thanks everyone for the input on temperature - what was I thinking?

Brine? Any suggestions? Would I use the same brine as I would for turkey? I remember Vera had a great brine for turkey.

Yes, same brine. I'm all about an apple juice brine:

apple juice
brown sugar
kosher salt
garlic
rosemary
thyme
orange
lime
lemon

So many brines to choose from though - basically they are all the same. I really like using all apple juice though. It makes the BEST gravy at Thanksgiving!

First, bring the chops to room temp.

I just use salt and pepper. Or use a marinade or basting sauce to baste the chops while grilling. Like you, I start over high heat. Once I achieve good color on the first side, I flip them and turn down the heat, or move them to a slightly cooler part of the grill to continue to cook. If they are bone-in, aim the bone towards the heat. The bone side takes longer to cook. Also, for thinner chops, put a slice in the fat ring around the perimeter of the chop to keep it from "cupping" on you.

Once the second side has nice color lke the other side, they should be done. I use the poke test. When the meat feels relatively firm, it's done. Some trhicker meats like those chops may need another minute or two.

If all else fails, use a thermometer. Take them off 7-10 degrees before done. A little pink won't kill you.

Tent and let them rest at least 5 minutes before cutting into it. Baste during the cooking process. You need to add some moisture while they are cooking.

I haven't had a dry pork chop in years.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom