"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 06-18-2006, 10:25 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
How do you sear your steaks?

According to the Weber cookbook that came with my gas grill - a steak 1-1/2" thick should be seared for 10 minutes (5 minutes per side) on high, then cooked for an additional 6-8 minutes on indirect (mom).

My steaks were black on one side after the first five minutes - I turned the burners down to medium-high and seared the second side - still a bit darker but better.

What are your opinions on searing steaks? Have you ever cooked anything on high on the weber grill? Please tell me what I am doing wrong - this is the second time this has happened. For what it is worth, the bottom grill pan had just been cleaned and the grates are cleaned before and after every use. I would love to hear your opinions. Thanks!

Old 06-18-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

A steak that thick should cook on a Weber in no more than 10 minutes total. If you have a 3-burner grill rather than a 2-burner grill it will get hotter and cook faster.

I cut steaks a little thinner. Just over 1" thick (portion control). On my 2-burner grill, I cook my steak 3.5 - 4.0 minutes on each side always on high and with the lid closed. That gives me rare to med.-rare. SO's steak gets a minute or two more.

On a 3-burner grill it should take even less time, they get a lot hotter.

Three factors contribute:

Thickness of the steak
Heat from the grill and
Degree of doneness.

You're going to have to experiment to get it right. Write down what you do and the results until you get what you want.

Old 06-18-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie
According to the Weber cookbook that came with my gas grill - a steak 1-1/2" thick should be seared for 10 minutes (5 minutes per side) on high, then cooked for an additional 6-8 minutes on indirect (mom).

My steaks were black on one side after the first five minutes - I turned the burners down to medium-high and seared the second side - still a bit darker but better.

What are your opinions on searing steaks? Have you ever cooked anything on high on the weber grill? Please tell me what I am doing wrong - this is the second time this has happened. For what it is worth, the bottom grill pan had just been cleaned and the grates are cleaned before and after every use. I would love to hear your opinions. Thanks!
Seared for 10 minutes? That's not seared, that's cooked.

You can't really "sear" on a home grill per se, because you don't have the same heat conductivity and contact that you would in a saute pan. Commerical type grills have much more BTUs than home grills so you can sort of sear, but it won't be like a good pan sear.

With that being said, I never throw something over a grill on high unless I'm just going to mark it and then finish it in the oven. Medium-high is the way to go on a gas grill. For medium-rare then you should need about 3-4 minutes per side with the steaks that you cut.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:20 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I think the Weber cookbook will tell you to cook to **** out of those steaks (and anything else). They don't want any lawsuits for food poisoning. We do our steaks like Andy M.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:26 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Thanks you guys - you have helped. I thought that was too long, but I am experimenting with my grilling this summer. Andy M. - my grill is three burner - next time I will try for less time and completely blow off the 6-8 minutes on indirect - I will see where that takes me. I appreciate your input!
Old 06-19-2006, 09:32 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

What I do is put all three burners on high on my Webber. Once the grill is nice and hot I though the steaks on and then lower the heat to med high. Then I cook then pretty much like Andy. I go strictly by feel though. I do not time them or take their temps. I have forced myself to learn by feeling even though that means I have over cooked a few steaks in the process. I now have enough steaks under my belt than I can tell by touch when they are done, regardless of what they look like.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:44 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Ooooooo, so glad you posted GB! I remember reading someone that cooked by touch but couldn't remember who or the thread! Okay, touch - can you explain - at what point would be medium - still a bit pink in the center?
Old 06-19-2006, 10:05 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

OK here is one way to do it (there are many). Take your hand and make the OK sign, lightly touching your index finger to your thumb. With your other hand touch the flesh in between the base of your thumb and index finger. It should feel kind of mushy. That is rare. Now touch your middle finger to your thumb and feel the flesh in the same spot. That is med rare. That is probably would you would want or maybe a little teesny bit firmer.

If you keep doing that with your fingers, the further away you get from your thumb, the more cooked it is.

Hope that makes sense.

What I did while teaching myself how to do this was I would touch the steak and then do that hand thing and figure out where it felt the same. Then I had a baseline to know what I was looking for. Now I do not need to do the hand thing anymore. I just need to touch the steak and I can tell.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:20 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Let me make sure I am understanding this, I make the "o"k sign with one hand and touch the steak and then with my other finger touch the steak where the "ok" fingers are touching the meat? Please be patient with me GB, I'm a little slow.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:45 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Nope sorry I think I confused you. Forget about the steak.

Just take your hand and make the OK sign (touch your index finger to your thumb with your other three fingers poining out loosely). Now touch the area of that hand down where your index finger and thumb attach to your hand. You are feeling for the firmness or softness of that area of your hand.

Another was to do it is to turn your hand over so you are looking at your palm. Again touch your index finger lightly to your thumb. This time with your other hand touch the pad of flesh under your thumb of the first hand. That is what rare feels like. Now touch your thumb and middle finger and feel the pad under that thumb. That is med rare and so on.