"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 06-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #11
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Well what about "til it is done?"
That's the only correct answer here.

As a rough estimate, it could take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes. It completely depends on how hot the fire, the size of the birds, etc. There's no one-size-fits-all solution.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
That's the only correct answer here.

As a rough estimate, it could take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes. It completely depends on how hot the fire, the size of the birds, etc. There's no one-size-fits-all solution.
I agree, till they are done is absolutely correct! I have never grilled half a chicken though and so I wanted a rough idea. I know that for dinner at 6pm I should probably get going on the wood and charcoal at 4pm at the latest. I figure even if all 40 aren't done that at least they can get going on what is done. Probably won't need to cook them all.

I have cooked a bunch of leg quarters in the past. It took forever because they needed to cook for so long over low heat. I learned my lesson with high heat on the first couple as they flared up when the fat cooked off and dripped onto the flames.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Howdy!
Being from Hampton, I wonder if you have ever heard of the Olde Virgina Primitive Riflemen. We hold a couple of living history events a year near Smithfield and feed the whole camp on Saturday evening. We use a similar set up to the one in your picture, just six or seven times longer. We cook 375-400 lbs. of leg quarters and it can take quite awhile. My guess is the 1/2 chickens would likely take about twice as long.
We have a method of controlling the flare ups that works pretty good, but you will need a HOT fire. Whenever the flames get to be a problem, we sprinkle the chicken with ice from a cooler we keep nearby. It works pretty good as long as you just use enough ice to control the flames. I know I have some photos of the set up we use but I just can't seem to locate them just now. If I can find them I will post a couple.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Howdy!
Being from Hampton, I wonder if you have ever heard of the Olde Virgina Primitive Riflemen. We hold a couple of living history events a year near Smithfield and feed the whole camp on Saturday evening. We use a similar set up to the one in your picture, just six or seven times longer. We cook 375-400 lbs. of leg quarters and it can take quite awhile. My guess is the 1/2 chickens would likely take about twice as long.
We have a method of controlling the flare ups that works pretty good, but you will need a HOT fire. Whenever the flames get to be a problem, we sprinkle the chicken with ice from a cooler we keep nearby. It works pretty good as long as you just use enough ice to control the flames. I know I have some photos of the set up we use but I just can't seem to locate them just now. If I can find them I will post a couple.
Never heard of them. Did the setup look like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OVPR.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	13825  
Old 06-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Yep, that is my good friend, Tim, cooking ribs for our winter encampment.
What that picture doesn't show is that there is a second even longer fire pit.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #16
Head Chef

That is one huge grill setup Hoot!
Old 06-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Here is a better view. I know I have some other photos, but this here old brain of mine can't recollect where I laid 'em down at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dotties06003.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	13826  
Old 06-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Here is a better view. I know I have some other photos, but this here old brain of mine can't recollect where I laid 'em down at.
Do you guys use wood only, or some charcoal too?

I will be driving right through Smithfield this afternoon on the way to the campground. I love it out there!
Old 06-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We generally use charcoal, as much as I hate to admit it. When we are cooking that much chicken and the whole camp is waiting, drooling, and chompin' at the bit, cooking with wood is a trifle counter productive timewise.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
We generally use charcoal, as much as I hate to admit it. When we are cooking that much chicken and the whole camp is waiting, drooling, and chompin' at the bit, cooking with wood is a trifle counter productive timewise.
That would be pretty difficult to manage with wood I bet! I might use some of both tomorrow night.

Tags
grill