"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #11
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Well what about "til it is done?"
That's the only correct answer here.

As a rough estimate, it could take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes. It completely depends on how hot the fire, the size of the birds, etc. There's no one-size-fits-all solution.
__________________

__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #12
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
That's the only correct answer here.

As a rough estimate, it could take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes. It completely depends on how hot the fire, the size of the birds, etc. There's no one-size-fits-all solution.
I agree, till they are done is absolutely correct! I have never grilled half a chicken though and so I wanted a rough idea. I know that for dinner at 6pm I should probably get going on the wood and charcoal at 4pm at the latest. I figure even if all 40 aren't done that at least they can get going on what is done. Probably won't need to cook them all.

I have cooked a bunch of leg quarters in the past. It took forever because they needed to cook for so long over low heat. I learned my lesson with high heat on the first couple as they flared up when the fat cooked off and dripped onto the flames.
__________________

__________________
vagriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Hoot's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The edge of the Great Dismal Swamp
Posts: 3,308
Howdy!
Being from Hampton, I wonder if you have ever heard of the Olde Virgina Primitive Riflemen. We hold a couple of living history events a year near Smithfield and feed the whole camp on Saturday evening. We use a similar set up to the one in your picture, just six or seven times longer. We cook 375-400 lbs. of leg quarters and it can take quite awhile. My guess is the 1/2 chickens would likely take about twice as long.
We have a method of controlling the flare ups that works pretty good, but you will need a HOT fire. Whenever the flames get to be a problem, we sprinkle the chicken with ice from a cooler we keep nearby. It works pretty good as long as you just use enough ice to control the flames. I know I have some photos of the set up we use but I just can't seem to locate them just now. If I can find them I will post a couple.
__________________
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #14
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Howdy!
Being from Hampton, I wonder if you have ever heard of the Olde Virgina Primitive Riflemen. We hold a couple of living history events a year near Smithfield and feed the whole camp on Saturday evening. We use a similar set up to the one in your picture, just six or seven times longer. We cook 375-400 lbs. of leg quarters and it can take quite awhile. My guess is the 1/2 chickens would likely take about twice as long.
We have a method of controlling the flare ups that works pretty good, but you will need a HOT fire. Whenever the flames get to be a problem, we sprinkle the chicken with ice from a cooler we keep nearby. It works pretty good as long as you just use enough ice to control the flames. I know I have some photos of the set up we use but I just can't seem to locate them just now. If I can find them I will post a couple.
Never heard of them. Did the setup look like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OVPR.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	13825  
__________________
vagriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #15
Executive Chef
 
Hoot's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The edge of the Great Dismal Swamp
Posts: 3,308
Yep, that is my good friend, Tim, cooking ribs for our winter encampment.
What that picture doesn't show is that there is a second even longer fire pit.
__________________
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #16
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,984
That is one huge grill setup Hoot!
__________________
vagriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #17
Executive Chef
 
Hoot's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The edge of the Great Dismal Swamp
Posts: 3,308
Here is a better view. I know I have some other photos, but this here old brain of mine can't recollect where I laid 'em down at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dotties06003.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	13826  
__________________
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #18
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Here is a better view. I know I have some other photos, but this here old brain of mine can't recollect where I laid 'em down at.
Do you guys use wood only, or some charcoal too?

I will be driving right through Smithfield this afternoon on the way to the campground. I love it out there!
__________________
vagriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #19
Executive Chef
 
Hoot's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The edge of the Great Dismal Swamp
Posts: 3,308
We generally use charcoal, as much as I hate to admit it. When we are cooking that much chicken and the whole camp is waiting, drooling, and chompin' at the bit, cooking with wood is a trifle counter productive timewise.
__________________
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #20
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
We generally use charcoal, as much as I hate to admit it. When we are cooking that much chicken and the whole camp is waiting, drooling, and chompin' at the bit, cooking with wood is a trifle counter productive timewise.
That would be pretty difficult to manage with wood I bet! I might use some of both tomorrow night.
__________________

__________________
vagriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
grill

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.