How Long to Grill Half Chickens?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I say start an hour ahead of time. Make sure charcoal is well burned then cook the chicken, as it gets ready set it aside and then throw back on the grill just to warm it up. Or even better keep aluminum trays on the side of the grill. They, the chickens, will be hot enough to serve.

I say start an hour ahead of time. Make sure charcoal is well burned then cook the chicken, as it gets ready set it aside and then throw back on the grill just to warm it up. Or even better keep aluminum trays on the side of the grill. They, the chickens, will be hot enough to serve.

Yeah, I guess 2 hours early is overkill. I might start up some charcoal on one side and wood on the other and mix as needed. If there is enough charcoal though I will probably just use that.

With a general idea of cooking time in mind, an instant read thermometer would be good to have around. You might want to have additional hot coals to replenish your fire as it dies down.

I hope vagriller didn't get washed or blown away by the storms last night. They were moderately fierce around here. Not sure where he was gonna go campin'

We were right in the middle of it. Lots and lots of rain. We survived though! I'm not sure exactly how long we cooked the chicken but we took them off when they were done! No reports of raw chicken either. What a great time!

Until it's done ~ and that's when it reaches an internal temp of 165F. Using a thermometer takes all the guess work out of it and prevents under- or over-cooking.

lurker surfing again.

in the future, if someone expects you to grill chicken for a large crowd and expects it to be done quickly so as to serve the crowd more or less at the same time, par boil the chicken.

it will be mostly cooked when it hits the grill..all you need to do is crisp the skin as it finishes cooking. only a food snob will notice that it wasn't fully cooked on a grill. 1/2 chickens are fairly forgiving so long as the skin is on and it's not mostly breast.

otherwise, get a turkey fryer and do 6 or 8 at a time.

Back
Top Bottom