"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 05-22-2012, 02:01 AM   #11
Head Chef

Since you're going to be focused on your steak grilling, why not buy some freshly made potato salad and coleslaw from the deli department no sooner than the day before the cookout. Just tell them how many are coming over and they will suggest the quantity. Please don't buy packaged factory made coleslaw, the factory made potato salad is ok tho. Keep them both well chilled until just before serving. Boston baked beans go well with steaks as do french rolls.
It's best not to mess with marinating the steaks as this infuses flavor that some guests may not like. You can sprinkle some meat tenderizer on if you want (an hour beforehand). You can also wrap up some soaked mesquite or oak wood chips in aluminum foil (poke a few holes) and set it at the heat source for some smoke flavoring.

Charcoal or Gas? Whichever, the general rule of thumb is...if you hold your hand over the grill and have to take it away in less than 3 seconds, the heat is too high.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:01 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
No marinade. Good steaks stand alone. Salt and pepper before you put it on the grill. Hot fire. 3-3.5 minutes per side then rest 5-10 minutes. NEVER EVER cut into a steak to see if it's done.

Salad and beer are all you need.
+1 apart from the salad, french stick,mustard and to make the ultimate steak sarnie

Old 05-22-2012, 04:27 AM   #13
Executive Chef

allow the steaks to come up to room temperature before cooking.in my book,meat should never be cooked straight from the fridge.hot grill.cook one side for 2-3 mins.turn.when blood/juices start to appear on the surface of the side you cooked first that's perfect medium/rare.rest for same length of time you cooked(not you,the steak!)works everytime irrespective of thickness.salad made in advance & oven shoestring fries.that way you can concentrate on cooking the steaks.beer.
good luck & enjoy!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks
Or if not then you find a better way to tell a beginner how to tell the difference between rare, medium and well.

ThermoWorks - Splash-Proof Thermapen Thermometer

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Bob it's not my method but I think the "hand" description of doneness would work well for a beginner. Or if not then you find a better way to tell a beginner how to tell the difference between rare, medium and well. I still disagree that a meat thermometer is useful in cooking steaks, although it's the king when cooking roasts.
Okay, let me show you how to do it...oh, wait...
Old 05-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
+1 apart from the salad, french stick,mustard and to make the ultimate steak sarnie
What are we seeing there in that pic, forgive me.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #17
Master Chef

Or........for a six pack of premium beer and steak dinner I can do the grilling for you and your guests.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I go along with what's been said already with emphasis on --

Get the best meat you can...great steaks need great meat
Thick steaks cook better than thin
Marbled steak with yellow fat is a good sign -- sinew is a bad sign (usually)
Frying in a nice clean pan is better than grilling
Oil both sides with a neutral oil like groundnut
lightly season both sides with ground sea salt and black pepper (go easy they can add to taste)
Put into a good hot pan -- not oiled or fatted
When the steak wants to slide without sticking you can flip it over and sear second side
To check done-ness, use the back of a fork -- spread your hand, using the fork check what the flesh between your thumb and nearest finger feels like for firmness --
a) With your thumb loose and in contact with the adjacent finger, the flabbiness is rare -- blue -- when compared with the steak Do NOT use the pointy bit of the fork because they will make it bleed
b) With your hand spread right open, the firmness is like a well-done (ruined, cremated) steak and fit for the pig-bin ;)
Old 05-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Hi all,

Wow, I was expecting maybe one reply if lucky but two pages worth, that's awesome!

To answer a question a few people asked - I'm using a Gas Grill.

Here is the game plan I have learned so far:
- Take meat out an hour before cook time to let it come to room temperature then marinade with salt and pepper (personal choice of how much to use)
- Brush oil over grill to prevent meat from sticking
- Make sure grill is as HOT as possible -- would 500F be enough?
- Place steak on grill for 3 minutes and then flip and wait for 3 more minutes
- After the 6 minutes of total cook time either stick a thermometer to check internal temperature or use the finger trick
- Let steak rest for 5~10 minutes before digging in

I'm thinking of going with potato wedges and a salad to serve with the steak (unfortunately, these will all be store/deli bought).

Let me know what other great tips you guys have. I'm loving them and it's actually starting to make me comfortable (and believe that I can actually do this lol).

- MJ
Old 05-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj88 View Post
Hi all,

Wow, I was expecting maybe one reply if lucky but two pages worth, that's awesome!

To answer a question a few people asked - I'm using a Gas Grill.

Here is the game plan I have learned so far:
- Take meat out an hour before cook time to let it come to room temperature then marinade with salt and pepper (personal choice of how much to use)
- Brush oil over grill to prevent meat from sticking
- Make sure grill is as HOT as possible -- would 500F be enough?
- Place steak on grill for 3 minutes and then flip and wait for 3 more minutes
- After the 6 minutes of total cook time either stick a thermometer to check internal temperature or use the finger trick
- Let steak rest for 5~10 minutes before digging in

I'm thinking of going with potato wedges and a salad to serve with the steak (unfortunately, these will all be store/deli bought).

Let me know what other great tips you guys have. I'm loving them and it's actually starting to make me comfortable (and believe that I can actually do this lol).

- MJ
Just a couple of things: when you sprinkle salt and pepper, you're seasoning, not marinating. Marinating is soaking the meat in a seasoned liquid that usually includes oil and an acid like citrus juice or vinegar.

As Bobby Flay says, I'm eating the meat, not the grill I'd oil the meat rather than the grill grates - you can't get a flareup that way.

Remember to take the meat off the grill when it's 5-10 degrees cooler than the final temperature you want. As it rests, it will continue to cook from residual heat.

Enjoy!