How to make steaks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mj88

Assistant Cook
Hi all,
Just got a place of my own and have some friends coming over later this week for a steak dinner in the backyard...just one minor detail, I have never made steaks.
I actually don't have a single clue what to do and don't really have anybody in the city that I know that I feel comfortable asking.

What I have done so far is buy sirloin steak. Each piece is about 16 oz. and 1-inch thick.

Here are a few questions I have and was hoping you could help me:
- Am I risking anything by buying the steaks and refigerating them for 4 days (the dinner is in a few days)
- Should I be marinading the steak? I have googled this thought extensively and some people say salt and pepper right before putting it on the grill is fine, and then others say the earlier I put salt and pepper the better...then there are others who say not to put salt until after the steak is done. What is the actual way?
- What temperature should my grill be?
- Assuming I want the steak to be medium, how long should I be leaving it on the grill for? 4 minutes each side? At what temperature?

Lastly, any ideas on what I should serve with the steaks?

Thanks for your help!!!

- MJ

No marinade. Good steaks stand alone. Salt and pepper before you put it on the grill. Hot fire. 3-3.5 minutes per side then rest 5-10 minutes. NEVER EVER cut into a steak to see if it's done.

Salad and beer are all you need.

Which cuts of meat are available in your area and what kind of grill are you using?
And since you're grilling outdoors you can quickly grill some chopped vegis in a grill basket while the steaks are resting.

Also, if you've never done this before you should perhaps do a trial run one evening and grill yourself a nice piece of steak.

Last edited:
Which cuts of meat are available in your area and what kind of grill are you using?
And since you're grilling outdoors you can quickly grill some chopped vegis in a grill basket while the steaks are resting.

Also, if you've never done this before you should perhaps do a trial run one evening and grill yourself a nice piece of steak.
+1

Entertaining rule #1 is to not experiment on guests! :)

Since you're a novice my advice is to not complicate things by thinking of marinades. Just focus on cooking your steaks properly. Rare, medium rare, medium, medium well, etc. I'm sure somebody will post advice below on how to tell the difference. I hate the thought of trying to cook several orders ranging from rare to well. I'd rather just kill everybody who doesn't like their steak medium-rare. ;) ;) (Just kidding!) :)

Yes the rule is to not cut the steaks while cooking, but my advice is pick one that will be yours and when you're nearing the time you think they're done cut a piece off your steak and taste it.

And when your steaks are done cooking, let them rest for at least 5 minutes, maybe 10 minutes, before serving. This has to do with the juices. Maybe somebody (below) will explain it.

Serve with a few selections of steak sauces, perhaps A-1, Lea & Perrins, and maybe some horseradish (if I'm invited).

See if your market or deli has stuffed baked potatoes (often cheese, sour cream, etc). If so, get their advice on how to cook them. Otherwise, steaks are traditionally served with baked potatoes, sour cream and chives (or green onions).

A salad with that would be good.

Last edited:
mj88 said:
Am I risking anything by buying the steaks and refrigerating them for 4 days (the dinner is in a few days)

Not if your refrigerator is less than 40*F

mj88 said:
Should I be marinading the steak?

No! Unless you don't like the taste/flavor of good beef.

mj88 said:
What is the actual way? (To salt)

Opinions and methods differ....Mine is to salt just prior to grilling. Offer a pepper mill at the table.

mj88 said:
What temperature should my grill be?

As hot as a fire cracker!!!! On one side or end.

mj88 said:
Assuming I want the steak to be medium, how long should I be leaving it on the grill

Cows (beef) can't tell time. Buy a thermometer. ~ I don't recommend taking sirloin to medium. Medium rare would be much better/tender.~ If you want medium, pull them between 135 and 140....Let them rest for 5-10 minutes...during which time they will continue to cook from residual heat..rising up to 145* or more....which is in the medium range.

mj88 said:
Lastly, any ideas on what I should serve with the steaks?

Baked Potatoes..sweet or russets are good.
A green salad is a common side.
Garlic bread......... HTH

Have Fun!

I missed the part about 4 days. Not a problem as long as your refrigerator is suitably cold and the steaks are cooked by their "use by" steak. In fact I think steaks sold 50% off on the "use by" date are a good deal.

IMO a meat thermometer is not an effective method of determining when steaks are cooked to perfection. Somebody has a method often described as various tenderness or toughness compared to the various joints on your hand. I hope somebody will post a description. My own method is that I just know when they're done (and don't ask me to cook it any way other than medium rare). Yes I'm an unruly host. I'll cook it however you like as long as you like it medium rare.

Last edited:
The only other things I would add are-- Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel before putting on the grill . Otherwise they just steam for the time it takes for the surface moisture to cook off and they can fail to properly brown.

2nd, saturate a paper towel with olive oil or cooking oil and using a Tongs, rub the grates with oil. Then put the steaks on the grill and don't touch them or move them until they will willingly release when you go to turn them. No sticking to the cooking surface.

Use a tongs to turn your steaks. Leave any sharp instrument, like a Fork indoors and safely away from the Steaks.

Sirloin is my favorite grilled steak. I pepper my steaks (rather heavily) and do not salt while cooking. Personal preference. I like mine Medium rare, and they will continue to cook a little after you platter them up.

I'd do a big salad and you could have some garlic bread either wrapped in foil to throw on the grill and heat up. Or have a stack of garlic toasts and throw directly on the grill to toast while the steaks rest. Now, you could use a grill fork to turn those babies over.

Watermelon for dessert. Beer or Ice tea.

Greg Who Cooks said:
Somebody has a method often compared to the various tenderness or toughness compared to the various joints on your hand.

Nonsense! Who's hands?? Mine, yours, my wife's or a lumberjacks?? All hands are not the same. ~~ If you cook 100 plus steaks a night at a steak house then experience and touch/feel of the meat comes into play...but not for your typical, inexperienced backyard cook. ~~ Also cutting one to check doneness is a poor indicator when you are cooking 4-6-8 steaks at a time. To much heat differential on a typical backyard grill...An instant read thermometer takes the guess work out of it.... Especially for the inexperienced

Cheers!

Last edited:
Bob it's not my method but I think the "hand" description of doneness would work well for a beginner. Or if not then you find a better way to tell a beginner how to tell the difference between rare, medium and well. I still disagree that a meat thermometer is useful in cooking steaks, although it's the king when cooking roasts.

Since you're going to be focused on your steak grilling, why not buy some freshly made potato salad and coleslaw from the deli department no sooner than the day before the cookout. Just tell them how many are coming over and they will suggest the quantity. Please don't buy packaged factory made coleslaw, the factory made potato salad is ok tho. Keep them both well chilled until just before serving. Boston baked beans go well with steaks as do french rolls.
It's best not to mess with marinating the steaks as this infuses flavor that some guests may not like. You can sprinkle some meat tenderizer on if you want (an hour beforehand). You can also wrap up some soaked mesquite or oak wood chips in aluminum foil (poke a few holes) and set it at the heat source for some smoke flavoring.

Charcoal or Gas? Whichever, the general rule of thumb is...if you hold your hand over the grill and have to take it away in less than 3 seconds, the heat is too high.

Last edited:
No marinade. Good steaks stand alone. Salt and pepper before you put it on the grill. Hot fire. 3-3.5 minutes per side then rest 5-10 minutes. NEVER EVER cut into a steak to see if it's done.

Salad and beer are all you need.
+1 apart from the salad, french stick,mustard and
img_1141082_0_fa434456325a4dd9ecb2908dfeba50b6.jpg
to make the ultimate steak sarnie;)

allow the steaks to come up to room temperature before cooking.in my book,meat should never be cooked straight from the fridge.hot grill.cook one side for 2-3 mins.turn.when blood/juices start to appear on the surface of the side you cooked first that's perfect medium/rare.rest for same length of time you cooked(not you,the steak!)works everytime irrespective of thickness.salad made in advance & oven shoestring fries.that way you can concentrate on cooking the steaks.beer.
good luck & enjoy!

Bob it's not my method but I think the "hand" description of doneness would work well for a beginner. Or if not then you find a better way to tell a beginner how to tell the difference between rare, medium and well. I still disagree that a meat thermometer is useful in cooking steaks, although it's the king when cooking roasts.

Okay, let me show you how to do it...oh, wait...

I go along with what's been said already with emphasis on --

Get the best meat you can...great steaks need great meat
Thick steaks cook better than thin
Marbled steak with yellow fat is a good sign -- sinew is a bad sign (usually)
Frying in a nice clean pan is better than grilling
Oil both sides with a neutral oil like groundnut
lightly season both sides with ground sea salt and black pepper (go easy they can add to taste)
Put into a good hot pan -- not oiled or fatted
When the steak wants to slide without sticking you can flip it over and sear second side
To check done-ness, use the back of a fork -- spread your hand, using the fork check what the flesh between your thumb and nearest finger feels like for firmness --
a) With your thumb loose and in contact with the adjacent finger, the flabbiness is rare -- blue -- when compared with the steak Do NOT use the pointy bit of the fork because they will make it bleed
b) With your hand spread right open, the firmness is like a well-done (ruined, cremated) steak and fit for the pig-bin ;)

Hi all,

Wow, I was expecting maybe one reply if lucky but two pages worth, that's awesome!

To answer a question a few people asked - I'm using a Gas Grill.

Here is the game plan I have learned so far:
- Take meat out an hour before cook time to let it come to room temperature then marinade with salt and pepper (personal choice of how much to use)
- Brush oil over grill to prevent meat from sticking
- Make sure grill is as HOT as possible -- would 500F be enough?
- Place steak on grill for 3 minutes and then flip and wait for 3 more minutes
- After the 6 minutes of total cook time either stick a thermometer to check internal temperature or use the finger trick
- Let steak rest for 5~10 minutes before digging in

I'm thinking of going with potato wedges and a salad to serve with the steak (unfortunately, these will all be store/deli bought).

Let me know what other great tips you guys have. I'm loving them and it's actually starting to make me comfortable (and believe that I can actually do this lol).

- MJ

Hi all,

Wow, I was expecting maybe one reply if lucky but two pages worth, that's awesome!

To answer a question a few people asked - I'm using a Gas Grill.

Here is the game plan I have learned so far:
- Take meat out an hour before cook time to let it come to room temperature then marinade with salt and pepper (personal choice of how much to use)
- Brush oil over grill to prevent meat from sticking
- Make sure grill is as HOT as possible -- would 500F be enough?
- Place steak on grill for 3 minutes and then flip and wait for 3 more minutes
- After the 6 minutes of total cook time either stick a thermometer to check internal temperature or use the finger trick
- Let steak rest for 5~10 minutes before digging in

I'm thinking of going with potato wedges and a salad to serve with the steak (unfortunately, these will all be store/deli bought).

Let me know what other great tips you guys have. I'm loving them and it's actually starting to make me comfortable (and believe that I can actually do this lol).

- MJ

Just a couple of things: when you sprinkle salt and pepper, you're seasoning, not marinating. Marinating is soaking the meat in a seasoned liquid that usually includes oil and an acid like citrus juice or vinegar.

As Bobby Flay says, I'm eating the meat, not the grill :LOL: I'd oil the meat rather than the grill grates - you can't get a flareup that way.

Remember to take the meat off the grill when it's 5-10 degrees cooler than the final temperature you want. As it rests, it will continue to cook from residual heat.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom