"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 03-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #21
Head Chef

gl, sorry if I missed it but how thick are your steaks?

To me it is hard to essentially impossible to do a steak less than one inch thick to perfection.

If you have gotten to medium try one step rarer, medium rare. To me the closer the cow is to mooing the tastier the steak.

Don't use a thermometer on steak, OK rarely do, but they can be very helpful if you get a realiable thermometer.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I have to disagree. I agree with the rest of your post Jeekinz and think your advice to the OP is good advice, however my gas grill is heated and ready in 5 minutes. I have never seen charcoal grills be ready that fast.
Using lump not briquettes. It also depends on the grill size and weather conditions. My large SS grill can take 10-15 minutes to reach 350. I usually pull the steaks/meat from the fridge and start the charcoal in the chiney at the same time. Maybe it's my scenario.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

Jeekinz, I've heard the "only flip once" rule. A friend of mine is SUCH a follower...I am more of a "turn over and peek" kind of girl. LOL. I will have to practice restraint! Is there anything one could put ON/IN the gas BBQ to achieve what the coals would do...? I'm super-limited in space where it is. But it sounds tempting..

Grillingfool, I never really considered the resting time as cooking time. Great tip!!

Inch thick steaks are traditionally what I use. Question, though...has anyone used any type of "tenderizer" on steaks/beef? If so, what?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Not sure what you could add.....if there was such a thing, I would love to know about it. Honestly, I would pick up a small charcoal grill and a bag of Cowboy lump from Lowe's and have a go at it. I really think you would be happy with the results.

-Jay
Old 03-11-2008, 10:05 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

I think grilling a steak requires a feel. You buy a new grill, you cook out at a friend's house on his grill, you use propane one time and a campfire the next..... I've never been a big follower of the, so many minutes per side and only flip once philosophy..... But that's just me. And I've boughten steaks in varying markets, in cities, in dink towns and never paid attention to the prime/choice/select rating, though I know I really should. I couldn't even tell you what the cuts of ribeye in my freezer are, as I purchased them from a meat market who grows and slaughters their own beef.
I know all these little nuances add up to the perfect steak, but ultimately, it's the person standing in front of the grill.

I wish I could go back and re-read your post, gingerlaurie, but I seem to remember you naming a few types of steaks and saying you preferred sirloin..... in my opinion, that isn't a very forgiving steak to cook. Not too much fat or marbling, so it will come out tough and dry if overcooked even slightly. I think you need to work on your technique as you said, but maybe try a different cut. If you don't want to splurge on a ribeye (my favorite ), only to have it turn out tough, look for something called a chuck eye steak, which are like small ribeyes, but pretty cost effective. They have some nice fat to add juiceiness and a pretty good flavor, even if cooked well done.

And even though it's taboo while you are learning and getting a feel for you new SS outdoor kitchen, cut the steak open a bit and take a peek
Why do you think they make some flippers with a serrated edge
Old 03-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

auntdot, i've recently been able to cook some very thin steaks really well, umm, i mean actually rare to medium rare.

i bought a gas grill last year with a searing burner. i wasn't sure i'd like giving up a standard burner and grill space for it, but the few times that i cooked thin steaks and pork chops on it made it all the worthwhile.
it's sorta looks like a rectangular catalytic converter, and burns very hot so if you time it right (about half or less of the time needed for 1" or bigger), it comes out to perfection. slight char on the outside, with the doneness gradiating inwards to rare.

pacanis, i'm a flip 3x kinda guy, trying to get a matrix effect of grill marks on the steak. it's a little tricker not to overcook them with 2 flips per side

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
pacanis, i'm a flip 3x kinda guy, trying to get a matrix effect of grill marks on the steak. it's a little tricker not to overcook them with 2 flips per side
Hey, it just wouldn't be fun grillin' if all you are going to do is stand there and wait for your food to cook
I don't own a spatula. I own a flipper!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #28
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Hey, it just wouldn't be fun grillin' if all you are going to do is stand there and wait for your food to cook
Well that is your problem. You are not just supposed to stand there and wait. You are supposed to stand there and drink beer
Old 03-12-2008, 09:54 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh that's a given, GB.
Gotta have something to fuss with with the other hand, though.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:17 AM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerlaurie View Post
I'm growing up gradually, so I no longer like my meat "well done". LOL!

Medium well is where I'm at now...leaning towards medium.

I've remembered to "rest" the meat after grilling so the juices don't flow...buckytom, I've never thought of using dill! Sounds wonderful!

Proper temperature is key, obviously, so Jeekinz, if I'm liking it medium well, how long per side at med-high heat...? I have to admit that I like the "charcoal" edges...I'm one of those odd people that pretty much love oddly burned things...cookies, toast, etc.

As I said, I'm growing. Up. :oD

(Or at least I'm trying to!)

I have to tell you that cut for cut, the longer you grill a steak the less tender it will tend to be. That is why most decent steakhouses won't guarantee a steak cooked beyond medium rare. Some won't even offer a steak beyond that temp. I never cook one to more than about a 135 internal reading while still on the grill. It will continue to cook to about 140 while it rests, and that is just about medium rare. It is very difficult to grill a steak to anything past medium and end up with a good piece of meat.

I'm sure that some will contest this, but I've been grilling steaks for many years, and I've had my share of failures, most of those disasters came from overcooking. When I invite someone over for a cookout, I usually ask how everyone likes their steaks. If they say anything past medium, I plan something else for the main course.