ISO BBQ boneless chicken ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
What is the best way to make good BBQ chicken on the grill? My chicken is frozen right now and all I have is boneless Breasts of Chicken. I'm assuming chicken with the bone in it....is MUCH better for cooking on the grill. I'm not going to make any BBQ sauce. We have some in the house. Should I marinade it in the bbq sauce? OR just keep brushing it on while it's cooking? Any ideas - please let me know. I want the chicken to be juicy and taste nice and have a nice BBQ taste to it.

I wouldn't marinate in the BBQ sauce. The sugar in the sauce will burn on the grill. Marinate the breasts in a marinade. Either store-bought or homemade. Brush the BBQ sauce on for the last 10 minutes.

Overcooking is why chicken is not juicy. Use a thermometer and cook the chicken to 165 F. Take it off at that temperature and cover it with foil for 10 minutes then serve. Of course, never cut it open to see if it's done.

what andy said ....
boneless breasts take very little time to
cook .. and will dry out quick ...

This is one of those things that really defines the difference between "BBQ" and "Grilling".

"BBQ" is the slow-cooking of tough, gnarly, fat-riddled, cheap cuts of meat by the heat of smoke produced by a fire. This usually takes hours of constant attention to a smoker to maintain the correct low temperature and proper level of smoke.

"Grilling" is quickly cooking lean, succulent, small cuts of meat over direct, hot, coals.

You chicken breasts would be best cooked by brining them for an hour or so, then grilling them until they are almost done, and applying BBQ sauce in the last few minutes. You don't want to apply the sauce to early in the cooking process, or the sugar in the sauce will cause it to burn.

I try to get my bnls. chicken breast down to about the same thickness. Some fat ones need a little pounding. I cook mine on a gas grill on med. heat about 6 mins each side. Never do bone in.

AllenOk said:
"BBQ" is the slow-cooking of tough, gnarly, fat-riddled, cheap cuts of meat by the heat of smoke produced by a fire.

Foods are cooked by heat from a heat source, either by conduction, convection or radiation or some combination of these, not by smoke. Smoke can only add flavor/coloring. A little is good. To much is bad! Smoke does not cook anything.

Enjoy!

Another way to cook boneless breasts is to coat with Olive or Canola oil and a generous sprinkling of your fav rub. Let the chicken soak up the flavors for a couple hours b4 grilling. In this case a BBQ rub would be great. You can either cook the chicken whole or cut up on skewers.

Uncle Bob said:
Foods are cooked by heat from a heat source, either by conduction, convection or radiation or some combination of these, not by smoke. Smoke can only add flavor/coloring. A little is good. To much is bad! Smoke does not cook anything.

Enjoy!

Technically, this is true. However, unless you've invested a lot of money in equipment to chill smoke, or have a made a system to cool smoke down, smoke is usually going to be coupled with hot air. So, IMHO, hot smoke does "cook" an item, by a combination of conduction and convection.

AllenOK said:
Technically, this is true. However, unless you've invested a lot of money in equipment to chill smoke, or have a made a system to cool smoke down, smoke is usually going to be coupled with hot air. So, IMHO, hot smoke does "cook" an item, by a combination of conduction and convection.

The irrefutable laws of physics say otherwise. Heat moves from regions or objects of higher temperature to regions or objects of lower temperature until a state of equilibrium is reached. heat moves in only three ways, by conduction, convection or radiation. Not by smoke! Smoke is a product of incomplete combustion. It cooks nothing!

Have fun and Enjoy!

I guess it's time to agree to disagree, kinda.

How about a flight of bourbon?

legend 018, sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Back
Top Bottom